LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Remove and install new Water pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 06:40 PM

Lightbulb Remove and install new Water pump

tommrow i am getting my reman wp and today i wanted to drain all coolant. got under car and block drain plug and its on there pretty good. could not get it off. i using drive up ramp and its kinda hard to get a good grip on it . i was using a 15 mm socket .Any thoughts on how to break this bolt should i run the motor to heat it up and use some pentrating oil ?So i will try to remove the drain plug tommrow when i get my wp.

Now also i tried to remove the knock sensor but not sure how it come out i need more info on this knock senor i dont wanna screw it up ?

But today i drained coolant out of radiator and lines found a hose that was leaking air was not torn had a buble in the tube and was slighy leaking fixed that . and removed the stat today.

so i have to get all coolant out of block before i remove the Wp right ,

*UPDATE* I have pics of my old WP and NEW WP look how bad my old wp has seal complety gone and bearings floping in the brezze. Look in my Sig My Web page Last page page 5 all the way at bottom . "

Last edited by Spllouder; 01-28-2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

You don't have to really... what i did was drain the radiator first...then just put a bucket under the Water pump and catch the fluid every time I removed one of the connecting bolts....

Don't see why you'd have to remove your knock sensor to do a WP...
You mean Knock module? what year do you have...? Yo ushould just be able to squeeze the little white tab in and pull it out...it's simple...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:10 PM

I think he was trying to pull the knock sensor since he was ahving trouble with the block drains. Just grab a bucket
Old 01-27-2004, 07:10 PM

I didnt remove the knock sensor or drivers side block drain plug when i did just the waterpump. I just drained the coolant from the radiator, and some came out of the waterpump hoses and block passages, but just put a cover on the opti and you'll be fine.
Brandon
Old 01-27-2004, 07:11 PM

well i tought when u remove the knock sensor ull get some more coolant out of the block just wasnt sure on how to remove it. i still wanna get ALL the coolant out b/c its all brown and inside the wp its all russty wp failed big time.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Brandon 95 Z28
I didnt remove the knock sensor or drivers side block drain plug when i did just the waterpump. I just drained the coolant from the radiator, and some came out of the waterpump hoses and block passages, but just put a cover on the opti and you'll be fine.
Brandon

what kind of cover ?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:14 PM

Just syphon the coolant out.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Spllouder
what kind of cover ?
When i said cover, I meant Something like a rag . The only coolant that really has a chance to get on the opti is the coolant that comes out the the waterpump bolt holes, or if some comes out from the bloack after removing the pump. If your semi-careful, you'll be fine.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

If your coolant is really brown just draining it won't do the job completely...you need to have it flushed out. Just do the WP thing..without draining the block its'ef and take it to a shiop and have them replace the coolant...that's way they can cycle through the system a couple of times to get all the crap and debris out.

I think I had my coolant flushed amd swapped a couple days before I did the pump conversion...so i could get everything done in my driveway hassle free.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:41 PM

If you are looking directly at the waterpump, take the bottom right hand bolt out and a stream of coolant will come out like a hose. If you do this first, you won't have a huge mess on your hands. Before you get the coolant exchanged, put some of the radiator cleaner in it, and let it stay for a day, I know it says for 20 minutes, but for your application, let it stay for a day.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:00 PM

i already flushed and swaped the coolant 3 times now and is getting better and clearer evertime. what is the best way to flush the system? iam not going to take it to a shop i can do it plus iam broke right now. i just drain coolant and remove lower raditor hose and uper and flush garden hose water threw system while its still drianing. then fill the system up with just water start car get it up to running temps and then drain water again did these 3 times now and almost all brown ness is gone . but in my old WP it looks like this is where the brownish rust came from .
Old 01-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Hard to say...the garden hose method is depends on how clean your system is for it to be effective really...usually it takes a good amount of pressure to flush the car out accuratley. I take my car on base and the guy uses this maching that rushes water through the system....mine was horrible...looked almost like mud...he had to do it 2 times or so before everything was out of there... then finally everything was clean. like the other guy said use a cleaner if your doing it the back yard method. BUt if you wanna get it really right just keep flushing it...till it's were it's supposed to be...other wise your putting an old problem in a new system.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:15 PM

yep i want clear water before iam done with the wp and start driving it around ill buy some flush cleaner and flush it 10 more times if i have too. i just wish i could get that dam drain plug out so i could get the gunk out the bottom of the block .thanks for all the quick replys
Old 01-27-2004, 10:23 PM

The knock sensor has hex flats on it that a 7/8 will fit. The other side has a 9/16 head pipe plug (usually hard to get to). Each side of the block drains independently so you have to remove both if you want to keep coolant from running out of both sides where the water pump bolts on at the front of the block.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:35 AM

ok a hex flats whats that ? after i unplug the one wire which i dint theres how do i get the knock senor out ?

Quick Reply: Remove and install new Water pump