LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Remove ZO6 MAF screen

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by 96-speed
Suck in air through a .5" pipe then through a 4" pipe. Why do guys put a larger airfilter on?
removing the screen does not increase the size of your maf pipe

thanks, try again

Originally posted by 96-speed
Why do aftermarket MAF sensors come without a screen?

Why did GM remove the screen the newer LS6s (that make more HP).
from my understanding, the maf screen does two things

first, smooths air flow so the maf can read more accurately

second, protects from debris if the air filter doesnt (hardly happens)

it is most likely that GM redesigned the newer maf so that it reads better and does not need the screen to smooth airflow. or they built a better airbox/intake that does the job instead.

however, removing the screen certainly isnt responsible for the horsepower gains, thats just silly.

if the old maf came with a screen, leave it on...............if the new one doesnt, dont put one on........thats pretty simple

Last edited by got_hp?; 09-09-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:26 PM

btw...............just out of curiousity.................since you acknowledged that there is no proof that doing this can increase power...........and it can technically have negative effects............why even do it in the first place?
Old 09-09-2003, 03:20 PM

This should help explain what got_hp? has been trying to say.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by jkipp84
This should help explain what got_hp? has been trying to say.

thank you very much for confirming that for me......im glad someone else uses rational thought......

so i guess i was wrong about leaving the newer MAF unscreened..............if you order the newest MAF, and have a bend in your intake tract, you should add a screen on the MAF for the best readings.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:39 PM

The '02 Z06 MAF's do NOT have a screen... GM REMOVED it in the '02 model year.

The P/N for the screenless/screen is the same P/n for some reason.

If you have a inlet track that is bent like 95% of 4th gen f-bodies do the removing the screen will scew up the sensor a little bit due to the turbulance caused by the bends in the system.

If you ahve a WS-6 intake setup then removing the screen is just like in the Z06 setup.. it's a straight shot through the MAF with no bends before it.

Will it gain any HP.. well GM decided to remove it for some reason... Primiarly of the tubing losses that the screen causes in the intake track. Anything placed in the tube/pipe causes losses.. removing the screen is just removing some small restriction on the MAF.

I am personally NOT running a screen in my car.. and have had NO adverse effects... but I also have a WS-6 intake setup... if I were running a "conventional" intake setup I would not remove the screen.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:17 PM

I am currently running with no MAF screen.. and I have a 90 degree bend in my intake right before the MAF.. have yet to have any problems what so ever.

Trevor
Old 09-09-2003, 05:20 PM

Lightbulb

The ZO6 has >45* bend before the throttle body. I have run a screenless MAF for 4 years w/o a problem. No problem = not slower, no stumble, and no idle issues.

Originally posted by got_hp?
removing the screen does not increase the size of your maf pipe

thanks, try again
My analogy was bad. Try this: put a filter on the end of that straw. Make sense to you?

from my understanding, the maf screen does two things

first, smooths air flow so the maf can read more accurately
The article talks about the corvette having a straight airpath (ducting). The Fbody's airducting is shorter and straighter (I've worked on both) - I'm referring to LS1s . Please explain why the Fbody comes with a screen.

The article has no author. Maybe I'm reaching here, but just because there's a page on the internet about something doesn't mean its fact.

second, protects from debris if the air filter doesnt (hardly happens)
I think its safe to say that no one thinks the screen is a backup for the airfilter. Its not even a restriction, right?

it is most likely that GM redesigned the newer maf so that it reads better and does not need the screen to smooth airflow. or they built a better airbox/intake that does the job instead.

The ZO6 intake path isn't as straight as the Fbody's. Again, I've seen them both in person.

btw...............just out of curiousity.................since you acknowledged that there is no proof that doing this can increase power...........and it can technically have negative effects............why even do it in the first place?

That's your call. I did it because in the back of my mind I thought it might help. Do you have an airfoil? Aftermarket spark plugs/wires? Watter wetter? Synthetic oil? These things add very little power (if any), but all of us do them. I'm not out to break records, but I want to have an edge on the next guy.

Final thought:

You can say it doesn't help all you want. I can say it does help until I'm blue in the face. Until you or I do a dyno/track test back to back with each MAF, its silly to get into a pissing contest.

A little too late I guess .

Without further comment,
Ryan

Last edited by 96speed; 09-09-2003 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:31 PM

There is indeed a bend in the intake on the corvette. After the MAF.. take a closer look.
I've never heard of the author (Hib Halverson - backtrack the url to start at the beginning of the article) but the quotes are from John Juriga the asst chief engineer for the LS6.

As you said, it's not really worth arguing over.. just a silly screen. Doesn't make much of a difference one way or the other at the end of the day.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:45 PM

*sigh*............i take it all back

everyone remove your MAF screens.

while were at it..........remove that pesky air filter........its nothing but a restriction

actually.........lets just remove the whole intake assembly and run an open throttlebody.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:01 PM

I removed mine a couple of years ago, and I have absolutely no problems. Super smooth idle, my gas milage is great. I have the k&N FIPK CAI, and I believe it said right in their instructions to remove the screen.

Just keep your sensors clean by cleaning them once in a while.

The screen does restrict flow, but I can't answer whether or not it makes a big enough difference for our engines to see it.

Dan
Old 09-09-2003, 06:11 PM

I agree with got_hp?, While your at it for an extra 1/4 HP remove your fuel filter ( Just adds weight anyways) . I can't believe there are so many people out there trying to pick 1HP if anything, Why not just concentrate on mods that will actually give you some real gains, It's not like were all running top fuel looking for that 100/th of a second.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:46 PM

zhevy-1 the ZO6 MAF part number is 25318411 and the pigtail from RamChargers is #51885ADAPTER the price for that is 20.00 and the MAF is 98.00 from Sam Taylor
Old 09-26-2003, 09:50 PM

got_hp?, thanks a lot... i took your suggestion and went open throttlebody... that did not work! it friggin sucked my cellphone into my intake!! just started my car up after i did the mod and poof! cellphphone gone! my engine is making a ticking noise and playing a red hot chili pepper tune!

anyways, i dont see why its such a big deal... i am sitting here, reading all of your opinions , with my maf apart and my screen in the garbage..(that thing is really cool to mess with after you take it out..)
comparing the maf to your air filter or fuel filter doesnt make sense to me tho, they are primary blockers for debris whereas the maf screen is a secondary blocker? if it was even meant for that..

either way, i have nothing to do this weekend, i am broke and i want to play with my car... so i yank my screen and get stupid with a dremel.... i think if anything, descreening your maf may not be valuable for hp, but at least i feel like i am doing something to my car...

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 09-26-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by got_hp?
REMOVING THE SCREEN WILL NOT GIVE YOU ANY PERFORMANCE GAINS

why do people have a hard time understanding this
Your right, but when i removed my screen and ported my stock one i saw some gains.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:59 PM

Suck in air through a .5" pipe then through a 4" pipe. Why do guys put a larger airfilter on?
That's pretty scary you think like that. Got physics??? :P
Velocity is affect by surface area, yes, but the relationship is not truely a linear inverse when dealing with compressable gases. As far as air traveling through a pipe that is. Got Calculus???
Anyway, it doesn't really matter unless this is the place with the smallest SA because the force is pressure. Jesus, I thought I would never use this crap. I'll just stop now.

You take a soda straw and I'll take a 1/2" pipe. Lets go snorkeling

Jeff D

Last edited by PoorMan; 09-27-2003 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Remove ZO6 MAF screen