LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Removing/gutting cats ticks me off!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 12:38 AM

and when it gets that bad, when you have to jump through 15 hoops just to drive your car I hope everyone has the ***** to stand up and fight.
We are an easy target, little guys, we don,t have the money to buy votes in congress like the big corporations do.
Lets get real, I have electronic fuel injection. If the car is well maintained and taken care of emissions output is a non issue, go get the dumba** that is spewing oil smoke out of his cat equipped car due not maintaining it cause he is putting out more pollution than I am.

Just for the record, I ran a hi flow cat on my 94 right up until I cut it off 3 days ago cause I am puttin on LTs.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by revtime
and when it gets that bad, when you have to jump through 15 hoops just to drive your car I hope everyone has the ***** to stand up and fight.
We are an easy target, little guys, we don,t have the money to buy votes in congress like the big corporations do.
Lets get real, I have electronic fuel injection. If the car is well maintained and taken care of emissions output is a non issue, go get the dumba** that is spewing oil smoke out of his cat equipped car due not maintaining it cause he is putting out more pollution than I am.

Just for the record, I ran a hi flow cat on my 94 right up until I cut it off 3 days ago cause I am puttin on LTs.
tell me about it, when it cost 100 bucks to get my car emissions tested and state, something is wrong with that picture its bull**** how the price keeps on going up and harder to pass with these new limits, and if they find things wrong with your car your screwed
Old 05-16-2003, 01:04 AM

Just to set the record straight, I DO agree with much that is being said here. I especially hate SUV's, which cats or no cats, put out more greenhouse gases than all the methane-eruptive cows in the world, esp. carbon dioxide--did you know that plants and trees in n. america are measurably growing *faster* now than 50 years ago due to more carbon dioxide and warmer temperatures!?

And if one must cut the cats off because he *must* put longtubes on his performance car that's acceptable. My main beef is with guys who have no other mods but seemingly the first thing they do is rip off the cats, as if it's mandatory when you own a musclecar, all for a 4-5 hp gain and maybe .01 in the 1/4.
It's kind of fuzzy, the line--but it seems to me that racing and very highly modified cars is one thing, but basically stock cars are another. I mean, losing even 10 hp on a 500 hp engine isn't a very big deal, even if you have the traction to put all that on the pavement. But why compromise a carefully engineered exhaust system on a basically stock car, when there are so many other impediments to good flow (like intake, manifolds) that *don't* mess with the air quality when you "correct" them?

Last edited by Kuma; 05-16-2003 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:21 AM

granted you have a point with the no mod or lightly modded cat removal. I had several bolt ons when I ran my hi flow cat, but I never got too bunged up about the guys who were not running cats, these are gearheads who keep their cars in good running condition.
Should a no mod or lightly modded car run cats? Of course they should. Will some people still take them off?
Of course they will.

It,s the American Way.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:04 AM

I understand your point. I'm running no cat now because the guy I bought this car off of took it off himself. I think it's ok, if the local emmissions doesn't require it to pass emmissions (no visual).
However , because I don't like the smell when I'm cruising around, (my exhaust leak has something to do with that too!) I am saving up for a new hi flo cat and a new cat back and fixing the exhaust leak. Because I don't like the smell coming from my car. To each his own, until it's law, everywhere.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:12 AM

For all you "hi-po" guys out there who think you can't make hp through cats: my setup last year made 733rwhp through cats. This year, I expect another 100-150hp, still through cats.

Rich Krause
Old 05-16-2003, 08:34 AM

I took my cat off when I put my headers on. A "gutted" cat is crap IMO. It sounds bad, just run a straight pipe instead. I wish I still had the emmissions test info, because with no cat I didn't get *that* much more emmissions at all. That's with the factory rich tune. Not only that, you can hardly smell a diference in mine. Really the only way to smell a diference is to start the car up in the garage with it closed.

In any case, the emmissions my car puts out with no cat is less than 1/4 of what is allowable in my state. I would guess that for every one good running F-body with removed cat(s) there is probably five out of tune cars out there with problems like- Bad O2 sensors causing the car to run rich and throw a code, someone driving around with an out of tune carburator spewing hydrocarbons into the air, shot rings causing the car to burn oil and smokescreen everyone.

I know this sounds like the "relative filth" justification, but it's true. There are many worse things you can do than removing your cat. We've been given some numbers on how much or little cats take power, but how about some numbers on how much or little a car in good tune pollutes without a cat. I'll see if I can find my emmissions testing info later today when I get home.

John
Old 05-16-2003, 08:36 AM

I don't see any problems with removing the cat(s) on a well maintained and properly tuned EFI car. I do agree though, that it's a silly FIRST mod.

My car never "smells" unless there's a problem and I'm running rich, at which time, the car goes under until I fix the problem.

But, what DOES chap my ***** is that this government wants us all to be pollutant compliant, but all these pollutant control parts are friggin' outRAGEOUSLY priced!! The price of high flow cats is the VERY reason I don't have cats on my car. And you guys are telling me (in emmisions states) that YOU have to pay $100+/- to have your car tested!? THAT IS FRIGGIN" BS! The STATE requires it...the STATE should pay for it. Hell, there's enough cost (mods aside) to keeping a car on the road as it is.

If they'd rethink this whole process and the cost of it, there'd likely be more people to voluntarily comply; I know I would.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:40 AM

I'm actually having my cats taken off today. It's not because I'm some newbie with a sports car and only a few mods.(Only K&N FIPK and Flowmaster) The 4-5 hp gain isn't that big of a deal to me. I just want the sound. Cats being taken off cars don't bother me any.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by AxeGrinder30thZ
I'm actually having my cats taken off today. It's not because I'm some newbie with a sports car and only a few mods.(Only K&N FIPK and Flowmaster) The 4-5 hp gain isn't that big of a deal to me. I just want the sound. Cats being taken off cars don't bother me any.
Hello, Trey!

Where you taking it? Hopefully not Scott's, lol.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:45 AM

Haha. That's the only place I know of w/o going to Anderson. I think he'll be ok just for taking off cats. At least...I hope so.

BTW, since we were talking about that LT4 Knock module the other day, I looked on eBay...they have one for 30 bucks. Not too shabby.

Last edited by AxeGrinder30thZ; 05-16-2003 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by AxeGrinder30thZ
Haha. That's the only place I know of w/o going to Anderson. I think he'll be ok just for taking off cats. At least...I hope so.

BTW, since we were talking about that LT4 Knock module the other day, I looked on eBay...they have one for 30 bucks. Not too shabby.
Yea, go ahead and get that. $30 ain't bad, considering a knock sensor is like $32 at Advance.

You should check with Jason Cromer and see what he gets for the LT4 KM.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:05 AM

If it's only $32 at Advance, I might as well get it there, cause after shipping, the module will cost more off of eBay. I'll check with Jason first.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:19 AM

No...I'm talking about just a knock SENSOR. That's different. The Knock Module goes into the PCM itself. $30 ain't bad for that. But, I'd still check with Cromer.

You can't get a knock module from anywhere except GM dealer or reseller.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:41 AM

Oh, ok.

Do you know anywhere else around here that will cut cats out? I went by Scott's and they are supposed to open at like 8 but they haven't opened yet. I want to try and get my cats off today and if I get it done today, it has to be before 1.(Graduation is today)

Quick Reply: Removing/gutting cats ticks me off!