LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Removing Injectors from rail help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 09:49 PM

Question Removing Injectors from rail help needed.

Any tips on getting off and installing new injectors on the Fuel rail? Gonna be changing some within the next few days and ccan use some info before I look at it. ...

Thanks
Eddie
Old 08-24-2004, 09:57 PM

Re: Removing Injectors from rail help needed.

pretty easy, disconnect the 2 fuel lines toward the back, unbolt the rails, push clips off injector and pull injector off rail.

Hope I didnt leave anything out. You will need the fuel line disconnect tool. Sometimes the rails are hard to pull off, but just slowly pull near each injector to pop the injectors out of the intake.

good luck
Old 08-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Re: Removing Injectors from rail help needed.

Relieve fuel pressure by depressing the valve core on the Schrader valve. Have a towel over it to absorb the fuel. Do it when the engine is cold.

Remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator.

Remove the harness connectors by pushing the spring clip in against the plug to release the clip. The harness connectors are labled with the correct injector number.

You don't have to disconnect the fuel lines. You can just take the single screw out of the clamp that holds the two hard lines to the manifold. A little difficult, since the head of the screw is a Torx, and faces down toward the manifold.

Remove the two bolts on each side that hold the rails on. Be careful with these screws... they ar long and thin and can break under excessive torque.

If you have access to an air compressor, blow any dirt out of the inijector hole in the manifold.

When the bolts are out, pull the rail up on one side. If they haven't been pulled before, they can "stick". Stand on one side of the engine, and pull on the opposite side rail until it pops up. Then switch to the other side and pull the remaining rail up.

Slide the clip off the #2 injector, and have a can ready to catch any fuel that is in the rails. Pull the #2 injector and let the fuel run out, holding the hole in the rail lat the low point.

Pull the rest of the injectors out of the rail. Check each injector and make sure there is a rubber o-ring on each injector. If not, fish the o-ring out of the manifold or rail.

Put a light wipe of oil on each o-ring, and push the injectors into the rail. Slide the clips into the retaining groove. If you are using FMS/SVO/Bosch injectors, the clips might not fit in the groove. Sometimes there are two grooves, and if you pull the injector down slightly the clip will slide into the upper groove. Some people leave the retainer clips off completely. No problem with that.

Line up the injectors with the manifold on each side, and push them (remember to LIGHTLY wipe the o-ring with oil).

Put the 4 bolts back in the rails. I would recommend a light wipe of anti-sieze. Be VERY careful not to go nuts with torque on those bolts. They will break.

Replace the harness connectors, FPR vacuum line, and reconnect the hard-line support clip.

I think that's it, off the top of my head.