LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Removing old window tint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Don 97 SS
Shoebox, I thought they advise against using ammonia because it changes the tint color (...and regrettably from my experience, because it turns the tint a purple color )
But that doesnt matter in this case, he;s removing the tint so why would you care if it changed the color?
Old 10-06-2003, 07:31 PM

Finally something I am a PRO at . I was a tint shop manager for 5 years. lol

Anyway. heres what cha wanna do....you'll need a spray bottle, some Dawn dishwashing soap, and some STAINLESS steel razor blades. Oh yeah some Simple Green.

1. Passenger windows. Only use STAINLESS steel blades. Regular ones will scratch your window. First start and one corner and peel off the tint. It usually comes off in one piece unless its old. After you get the tint off there will be adhesive still on the window. Get your spray bottle and fill it with water. Squeeze some Dawn in it and shake. Spray on the window. This is so the glue will not stick all over the place. From the top down scrape. Only one direction, it comes off clean. Go from the top down all the time. with the curve of the window to insure you wont scratch.

2. Rear window you can do the same unless you have heater lines. If so....Get a big garbage bag or 2 and cut um oopen. Spray SImple Green on it ( a lot ) then put the bags on thesimple green. The bags hold it in place.

Or you can do it the EZ way. Go get some Acetone from the Boat store and soak a rag with it. It rubs it right off. Don't get the Acetone on you carpet or any of the plastics though. Make sure you cover everything up with drop cloths.

Good Luck...PM me if you questions.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by snake_skinner93
But that doesnt matter in this case, he;s removing the tint so why would you care if it changed the color?
True, but I was simply pointing out that ammonia might just affect the color of the tint and may not actually help remove the tint.

I am following this thread with interest since I plan to remove the 'purple' tinted windows on my truck.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:37 PM

You guys can PM me if you want it in more detail. You don't wanna mess around with this a scratched window is irritating and costs some good bucks.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the info, but if you have a few more tips to offer, why not just share them with everyone?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:06 PM

Your truck should be no prob. Take you about half an hour. If I forgot you'll need industrial type razors. The one sided ones. Don't put too much pressure if your gonna hold them with your fingers because the blade can flip and cause serious damage. They sell the scrapers for a buck or so.

Just remember the dishwashing soap part. You dont want that crap sticking all over the place. And after everypass of the razor grab the chunked up glue on the razor and toss it. I usually left the old tinit sheet on the seat and put all the glue on that so I know where it is and it stays wet before you throw it away.

Thats about it I guess.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by S.J.S.
I forgot you'll need industrial type razors. The one sided ones. They sell the scrapers for a buck or so.

Where does one buy ths SS type one sided razors? I have used one sided razors, but I don't think I have used SS ones. Are they easy to obtain?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:16 PM

just removed tint on a mustang. all it realy takes is a **** LOAD of elbow grease and a weapon of choice, IE wd40 or vinager or razor ext.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:32 PM

After removing the initial film, I have used PB blaster Decal/Sticker remover and one of those brillo pad looking things, only one made out of plastic(like what you would use to do the dishes). That and a little elbow grease did good for me 2 different times.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Don 97 SS
Shoebox, I thought they advise against using ammonia because it changes the tint color (...and regrettably from my experience, because it turns the tint a purple color )
I don't doubt that it may do that, too (and that could be the main reason). I do know that when I removed some tint from my hatch window, that it worked well for me. I did not want to do any scraping because of the defogger grid. It practically peeled off in one continuous sheet.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by S.J.S.
Your truck should be no prob. Take you about half an hour. If I forgot you'll need industrial type razors. The one sided ones. Don't put too much pressure if your gonna hold them with your fingers because the blade can flip and cause serious damage. They sell the scrapers for a buck or so.

Just remember the dishwashing soap part. You dont want that crap sticking all over the place. And after everypass of the razor grab the chunked up glue on the razor and toss it. I usually left the old tinit sheet on the seat and put all the glue on that so I know where it is and it stays wet before you throw it away.

Thats about it I guess.
Ok, my original window tint is old and baked on. I am having trouble even removing that. I have acetone (I believe it is the industrial kind found at beauty stores-it's my wife's). If I just throw a drop cloth, and put a whole lot of that on a rag, will that remove the film and the glue, or do I need to get the film off first.
Thanks