LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Removing Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 06:39 AM
z96

Removing Traction Control

just finished pulling my engine and about to install my 383. would like to remove traction control. i know i can have it removed from my pcm with program but what about the three cables can i just order a none traction control cable thanks for all help
Old 10-14-2005, 07:56 AM

Re: Removing Traction Control

I removed TCS and Cruise at the same time. Get the PCM reprogramed for the TCS removal and order a throttle cable for a non TCS car. Real simple.

You can retain cruise if you wish.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:30 AM

ASR (and ABS) are not actually handled by the PCM, therefore a PCM re-program could not alter/remove the function of either AFAIK.

When Bryan Herter programmed my PCM, I asked him if he could reverse the function of the ASR (i.e. make it normally off). He gave me the above information.

I left my entire ASR system in place and operational with the new 383... I just turn it off. If it's not in the way, why bother removing it?

SLP sells a module that reverses the ASR function, BTW.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:52 AM
z96

the only reason i want to remove it is i am getting a procharger over the winter and it will be in the way
Old 10-15-2005, 01:01 PM

It's easy, I did it. Here's how.

1) Locate your EBCM. It's deep inside the driver side of the dash, straight up from your clutch pedal. Take your time and wiggle it out. It WILL take some time if you've never done it before.

2) Go on ebay, search for a 3-channel EBCM from a non-traction control car. You can tell them apart visually because the 3-channel version is smaller than the 4-channel one.

3) Open up the hood, pull out the traction control box and/or cruise control.

4) Install your non-tcs throttle cable.

5) Install the 3-channel EBCM.

6) Start your car. "ASR OFF" light appears, but the "ABS" light will not stay lit.

DISCLAIMER: Even though I have done this in my car, I have NOT triggered ABS since I've done it. I have no idea if an "Oh FK!" braking situation will still trigger ABS or not... but when I get back home from San Jose I'll test that theory in a parking lot.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by z96
the only reason i want to remove it is i am getting a procharger over the winter and it will be in the way
OK, that makes sense.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dave '97 Z28 M6
ASR (and ABS) are not actually handled by the PCM, therefore a PCM re-program could not alter/remove the function of either AFAIK.

When Bryan Herter programmed my PCM, I asked him if he could reverse the function of the ASR (i.e. make it normally off). He gave me the above information.
He is mis-informed. The PCM does control ASR function. When Ed Wright re-programmed my PCM, I had him soften the ASR so it doesn't back off the throttle so much. It's better than stock, but I still end up turning off the ASR whenever I start the car.

Lee
96 Z28
Old 10-19-2005, 07:46 PM

YOU are mis-informed.

The PCM controls timing retard when the ASR is active but not the ASR motor/ABS. The difference you are feeling is ASR without the gobs of timing thats normally removed when tirespin happens.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:55 PM

Hmmmmm...

I've given it more thought, and I've decided that it maybe wasn't Bryan Herter who told me this... apologies to Bryan and everyone else. So if what I said was wrong, then it's definitely me who's mistaken, not Bryan. I was confused .

I stand by my opinion that the ASR is handled by a different "black box". Though it obviously recieves input from the PCM, it is not "controlled" by the PCM per se.

Here's all the info I could find on camaroz28.com:

link 1
link 2
link 3

I'm interested in this 'cause my car has ASR and I've wanted to modify it, I just always thought that it couldn't be done.

BTW, Alvin, the OBDI conversion is working great! (saw your post before I was finished with mine)
Old 10-19-2005, 08:16 PM

ASR consists of two basic components:

1) Throttle cable tensioner (the black box under the hood)
2) Timing retard (which happens through the PCM when a low-traction situation is encountered)

These things together allow your car to (in theory) stay planted when you get squirrelly with the gas pedal. However, I'm not sure how they inter-connect. But I'm sure with my Helms manual (back home in chicago, unfortunately) I could find what pins (if any) connect the EBCM to the PCM. Some kind of signal must make its way from the reluctor gears to the PCM in order to trigger the timing retard... and the reluctor wheels connect to the EBCM.

EDIT -- wow, I'm at 666 posts... that probably means the advice I just gave is ultimately gonna kill somebody.

Last edited by trax; 10-19-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dave '97 Z28 M6
Hmmmmm...

I've given it more thought, and I've decided that it maybe wasn't Bryan Herter who told me this... apologies to Bryan and everyone else. So if what I said was wrong, then it's definitely me who's mistaken, not Bryan. I was confused .

I stand by my opinion that the ASR is handled by a different "black box". Though it obviously recieves input from the PCM, it is not "controlled" by the PCM per se.

Here's all the info I could find on camaroz28.com:

link 1
link 2
link 3

I'm interested in this 'cause my car has ASR and I've wanted to modify it, I just always thought that it couldn't be done.

BTW, Alvin, the OBDI conversion is working great! (saw your post before I was finished with mine)

Your right, the there are a few systems acting together here.

1. PCM the computer reduces torque by pulling timing
2. Throttle relaxer (mechanical means of reducing throttle/torque)
3. ABS. (i'm not sure how this works to be honest)

1. is controlled in the factory computer

2, 3 are handled by other things BCM's, ABS, etc
Old 10-19-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by trax
ASR consists of two basic components:

1) Throttle cable tensioner (the black box under the hood)
2) Timing retard (which happens through the PCM when a low-traction situation is encountered)
Doesn't ASR also apply the rear brakes to limit wheelspin (maybe only in extreme cases), in addition to the above mentioned things?

BTW, sorry to everyone for side-tracking / hijacking this thread... z96 wants to physically remove his ASR, and I'm talking about PCM stuff.

I've started a new thread HERE discussing modifying/removing the fuction of ASR via the PCM.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:19 PM

That I couldn't tell you.. I would also liketo know more about how abs works with it.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
YOU are mis-informed.

The PCM controls timing retard when the ASR is active but not the ASR motor/ABS. The difference you are feeling is ASR without the gobs of timing thats normally removed when tirespin happens.
OK. Then explain to me why my car with the Ed Wright programming pushes back less on my foot if I spin the tires with the ASR on. That is the throttle cable relaxer in action.

Which comes into play first? Throttle cable relaxer or the PCM pulling out timing?

Lee
96 Z28
Old 10-20-2005, 09:58 AM

Because your not cutting the engines throat with 20 degrees of timing retard. Pick up a service manual and you'll see what we are talking about. Your basically saying the same thing as.. someone programmed my computer to make my windows to roll up faster.

Quick Reply: Removing Traction Control