LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Removing Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 12:07 PM

Re: Removing Traction Control

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
Because your not cutting the engines throat with 20 degrees of timing retard. Pick up a service manual and you'll see what we are talking about. Your basically saying the same thing as.. someone programmed my computer to make my windows to roll up faster.
I ask an honest question and you come back with that kind of response. Thanks. That was helpful.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:54 PM

I gave you a honest answer...
Old 10-20-2005, 12:55 PM

You said it yourself that Bryan softened the ASR "intensity" basically half answering your own question. Which is the only portion of the system that the PCM has anything to do with. I think what you're not getting is that the EBCM tucked up by the dead pedal is the main control for the ASR function supplemented by the ASR motor on the driver's valve cover which pushes back on your accelerator and timing retard from the PCM. That control module is what makes the whole ASR elimination a huge pain in the ***.

The EBCM is a flat silver box with in the case of an ASR equipped car, 3 plugs and then 2 for a non ASR equipped car. I'll refer to ASR/TCS by its GM RPO code NW9. The NW9 and non-NW9 optioned car have the same 2 plugs only differing by the 3rd which is for the ASR function. Previously in the thread someone mentioned just swapping the non-NW9 EBCM in there and it worked which makes sense due to the fact that engineers arent going to overhaul the ABS system just to add the function therefor only another plug/harness was added to the EBCM and minor changes throughout the ABS system to accept ASR.

After looking at the ABS/ASR diagram in my chilton's last winter I theorized that would work, simply eliminating the ASR part of the ABS system as they are intertwined. I have a non-ASR EBCM that i've been meaning to try it out. I'll put it in tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:11 PM

Doesn't ASR also apply the rear brakes to limit wheelspin (maybe only in extreme cases), in addition to the above mentioned things?
Yes that's why cars with ASR have two rear brake lines running from the front (one to each rear wheel) vs one line that splits on the axle to each wheel for just ABS.

Physically, here's what I did to remove both ABS and ASR.
http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/staf.../NoABSTCS.html

Tim
Old 10-20-2005, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lee96Z28
OK. Then explain to me why my car with the Ed Wright programming pushes back less on my foot if I spin the tires with the ASR on. That is the throttle cable relaxer in action.
Did Ed do anything (mechanically) with the throttle cable relaxer?

I've noticed that my (untouched) ASR doesn't seem to kick back the pedal quite as much after switching to an aftermarket TB. Is that a possible explanation?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroBoy96Z28
You said it yourself that Bryan softened the ASR "intensity"...
Just to clarify, it was Ed Wright who did Lee's programming. I was the one who wrongfully brought Bryan's name into this.
Originally Posted by CamaroBoy96Z28
...makes sense due to the fact that engineers arent going to overhaul the ABS system just to add the function therefor only another plug/harness was added to the EBCM and minor changes throughout the ABS system to accept ASR.
But I thought they did change the ABS quite a bit... going from a 3-channel (non-ASR) to a 4-channel ABS setup for the ASR cars.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:14 PM

Thats the only difference. Not much of a drastic change. i was more referring to the electrical side but you are correct on the 4-ch reluctor rings on both axels and 3-ch with one on the center section of the rear which complete the ABS only setup mechanically.