LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

replaced new opti now no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 PM

replaced new opti now no start

Okay I just replaced with a brand new opti, and now it does not start, so I checked and the coil wire is sparking, and I pulled a wire off the sparkplug and it getting a really nice spark. So I assume it is not the new opti then. But I have had the cars front jacked up all day, and so I checked a plug and it is really wet. So is that my problem? And from what leaving the cars front up on jacks?

thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 PM

are you sure your wires are on in the correct order? if your getting spark to the plug, but the plug is wet, would seem that the wires are crossed
Old 01-09-2007, 08:13 PM

Yep, I would check all of your wires and make sure they are all going to the correct cylinders and corresponding opti ends. Its pretty easy to mix them up.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:16 PM

yah no all fine checked and the wires are correct. But for whatever reason that it flooded is that the reason it is not starting?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:41 PM

okay another update I tried putting the pedal to the floor and try starting now it will backfire and pop for a couple seconds then stop. Try again and it seems like it wants to go but still nothing.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 PM

Did you index the opti correctly?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:58 PM

yah i sure did I have a 95 so I have the dowl with the three holes and one hole is the obvious hole and I used your diagram on ur site on which hole to use etc...

http://shbox.com/1/opti_back.jpg
Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 PM

the only reason it should flood is if the cylinder is not firing. i had my front end on jackstands for 3 days doing headers and nothing happened. i would triple check the wires. they can be easily confused.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:44 PM

yah no the wires are perfect. I get spark at the coil wire, and I checked and I get spark at the plugs. So is it some igntion wiring? Is it the icm, cnat be coil cause that works.

thanks for helping out so far
Old 01-10-2007, 12:57 AM

you're getting spark to the plugs yet your cylinders are getting flooded... reasoning for this is incorrect spark order. Perhaps index or perhaps you really need to dive in and recheck the plug wires for the 15th time lol. That's really about only reasons it "should" happen on your vehicle. I know everyone's said it but... it's about the only reason. Unless your sensors got unplugged on the intake? nothing else should hinder starting.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:46 PM

alright if it is not the firing order can it be the icm or the coil? I tested using shoebox's tutorial on proving opti signals are getting to the coil and they are. I am getting that 1-4 volts.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:07 PM

if your getting spark at the spark plugs, then no it cannot be the coil or icm. the only thing it could possibly be has already been stated. it is very easy to cross wires especially on the pass. side. have you physically taken them off and ran them 1 at a time to make sure they are right?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:14 PM

alright I know I have had code 41 Ignition control circuit open. So i found a post with that and it sounds just like my problem so maybe I will follow that.

thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2007, 08:18 AM

Just wondering is the vented opti like the non vented opti that i can put it on wrong? I mean can the cam dowl fit in the other opti slots or does it only fit in the squared hole that it is suppose to go into? Also if say it never fit in any of the holes the opti should not line up properly with the timing cover and I should have to put pressure on it to go in with the screws? Just wondering here cause all my car does is pop and backfire. But Im sure the opi goes on one way. I get spark and I also get the 1-4 volts at igniton module.

thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by bubba24
Just wondering is the vented opti like the non vented opti that i can put it on wrong? I mean can the cam dowl fit in the other opti slots or does it only fit in the squared hole that it is suppose to go into? Also if say it never fit in any of the holes the opti should not line up properly with the timing cover and I should have to put pressure on it to go in with the screws? Just wondering here cause all my car does is pop and backfire. But Im sure the opi goes on one way. I get spark and I also get the 1-4 volts at igniton module.

thanks for the help
Yes, it can be put on wrong.

Quick Reply: replaced new opti now no start