LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Replaced Started... Still not starting up

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 02:25 AM

Replaced Started... Still not starting up

Hola,
In my previous thread we figured that is was probably teh starter that is causing my car not to start. When I go to turn the key, all the interior lights,warning lights flash and the car basically grinds to start up. Its not like its a tpyical "chk chk chk", its very grindy.

So my brother and I took the old start off, and before we put the new one on we tested it. It worked and ran just fine, sounded fine, we tested it with a mulimeter and everything looks normal to what the Camaro repair guide said (forgot the name of the book, kragen sells em for all cars).

The battery is pretty much brand new and I gave it a couple full charges.

Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas, maybe the ignition? I am going to take the old starter to kragen tomorrow to bench test it and seew hat they say, but it seemed to work just fine compared to the new one we tested.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:04 AM

Re: Replaced Started... Still not starting up

The most effective way to isolate a few items is to jump the vehicles battery directly to the starter. Since you are only trying the ability to crank the engine, it would be a good idea to pull the coil wire off so it doesn't start up accidentally while you're laying under it. When you take the old starter to the store for testing, take your battery with you also.

By doing this, you eliminate any influence from wiring and switches EXCEPT the grounds. You can eliminate the ground influence by simply jumping from the negative terminal to the engine with a jumper cable.

If it then rotates slowly, either the battery is low or bad, the starter is bad or the engine is dragging. The engine could be dragging for several reasons some as simple as a leak of some sort causing a hydro lock type of condition. The first thing to check is presence of fuel in the oil by smelling the dipstick.

If I suggest something you already did then excuse me but be sure at least the ground strap from the body to the frame is in good clean condition. Also check the negative cable from the battery to the negative cluster on the passenger fender.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:29 PM

Re: Replaced Started... Still not starting up

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
The most effective way to isolate a few items is to jump the vehicles battery directly to the starter. Since you are only trying the ability to crank the engine, it would be a good idea to pull the coil wire off so it doesn't start up accidentally while you're laying under it. When you take the old starter to the store for testing, take your battery with you also.

By doing this, you eliminate any influence from wiring and switches EXCEPT the grounds. You can eliminate the ground influence by simply jumping from the negative terminal to the engine with a jumper cable.

If it then rotates slowly, either the battery is low or bad, the starter is bad or the engine is dragging. The engine could be dragging for several reasons some as simple as a leak of some sort causing a hydro lock type of condition. The first thing to check is presence of fuel in the oil by smelling the dipstick.

If I suggest something you already did then excuse me but be sure at least the ground strap from the body to the frame is in good clean condition. Also check the negative cable from the battery to the negative cluster on the passenger fender.
Hey Speedy,
Thanks for the response. We actually did give that a shot, we wired the battery directly to the starter and the starter worked fine. I took it to kragen today and the bench tested it under a load and it worked just fine.

The ground strap and the negative cable to the negative cluster are also in good condition.

If it's the ignition do you think it will throw a code? My OBDII reader is at the office but Im tempted to go pick it up and see if its giving me any codes.

Jason