LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Replacing ECT (Water pump one for PCM)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:25 PM

Replacing ECT (Water pump one for PCM)

Does the coolant have to be drained and what not, or can I just unscrew it and quickly screw the new one back in?

Also, I'm having a problem with my fans not turning on when they should, could this be the culprit? I've swapped relays and that isn't the problem.

Basically what happens is the low speed fan will randomly come on, but the high speed fan will not come on without being jumpered (SpeedSpecialty Fan Switch)
Old 10-26-2004, 08:53 PM

Re: Replacing ECT (Water pump one for PCM)

...can I just unscrew it and quickly screw the new one back in?
That is what I did it was a litttle messy though.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
Does the coolant have to be drained and what not, or can I just unscrew it and quickly screw the new one back in?

Also, I'm having a problem with my fans not turning on when they should, could this be the culprit? I've swapped relays and that isn't the problem.

Basically what happens is the low speed fan will randomly come on, but the high speed fan will not come on without being jumpered (SpeedSpecialty Fan Switch)

Take the chance to replace your coolant and replace the sensor from the top of the engine after you drained the old one out..... Trust me on that one Even after you emptied the old colant get a dry rag and position it to cover your opty before you begin to remove that old sensor.

As for the fan.... yeah and no.... If the sensor is fried and tells the puter you temp is low then it wont turn the fans on .... but then the fan problem may be caused by something else.

Are you having problem getting the engine started when its cold?? then the sensor may be shortcircuited.... I have my own experience with that little sucker

Marvin

Last edited by MentalCaseOne; 10-27-2004 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:50 AM

Yes, my car wouldnt start for a week, should be an SES light, either high or low voltage on the sensor, code 14 or something for me. Do drain the coolant, why risk getting the opti wet with that flow of coolant
Old 10-27-2004, 08:26 AM

I've got no problems with the car starting whatsoever. The problem I have is, the high speed fans wont come on by themselves, the low speed fans randomly don't work, and I'm getting an SES code for P1641 Fan Control (FC) Relay 1 Control Circuit
Old 10-27-2004, 09:09 AM
RMC

Draining it is a waste of time. The fluid shoots too far out to be anywhere near the opti.

This is how I do it fast with minimal spill. Wait for it too cool down first thing! From the top I loosen the sensor with a wrench to the point that I can start twisting it with my hand. With my other hand I stick it down there holding the new sensor pointed as close as I can get to go in place. I twist the old one off by hand and immediately let it fall to the ground so that I have both hands free to put the new one in. I hardly spill any fluid at all and it takes all of 5-10 minutes.

It does sound like this sensor might be your problem. I had that problem on a '93 vette. The high speed wouldn't come on when it should and the car would overheat. I jumpered and everything worked like it should. So I swapped the sensor and it worked like a champ.