LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

replacing timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:10 PM

Re: replacing timing chain?

search on summit for part number LUN-93094
Old 08-18-2005, 01:13 PM

I mentioned this timing set a few times already.... it is a single non roller and if you search a little bit you will find more horror stories from people running that lunati timing set than the stock one, making it worse than stock?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

Comp Cam's makes one but bring your checkbook.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 93camaroLT1
i suppose the best time to replace that non vented opti spark to a vented one might be when the mine goes out down the road (from what I hear, they are pretty ****ty) and then just move up to a double roller.
You'll have to pull the cam to make the swap then. I wonder if you could just buy a Cloyes double roller and have a machine shop bore a hole in the center for your opti?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
Comp Cam's makes one but bring your checkbook.
yeah the comp cams one is the $500 one I mentioned earlier. talk about pricey
Old 08-18-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
You'll have to pull the cam to make the swap then. I wonder if you could just buy a Cloyes double roller and have a machine shop bore a hole in the center for your opti?
yeah thats right, damn, i'm not all about taking the cam out again. there is a hole in the center of both timing sets (vented and unvented), the vented one has a 1/2 in smooth hole, the unvented has a splined hole needed to run the unvented optispark so unless someone could make that smooth hole a splined hole the machine shop wouldn't be able to help me. So in all reality, as cloyes rep told me also, unless I switch over to the newer vented opti stock cam gear and chain is the only option I have, since no one makes a roller timing set for the unvented opti.

Last edited by 93camaroLT1; 08-18-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:15 PM

i dunno, i think I am just going to order the stock timing set as much as a i dont really want to.. but on the bright side, since I am using nitrous, the car is actually not going to be pushing much more than 375 rwhp prolly 90% of the time unlike with a blower/turbo were the you're pushing a lot more power all the time.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:25 PM

i dunno, i think I am just going to order the stock timing set as much as a i dont really want to.. but on the bright side, since I am using nitrous, the car is actually not going to be pushing much more than 375 rwhp prolly 90% of the time unlike with a blower/turbo were the you're pushing a lot more power all the time.
an awful lot of people break stock chains on stock motors. Hell there was a post a few months back and a guy with a 383 heads and cam motor broke his after a few WOT runs.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:20 PM

The cloyes and lunati single non rollers aren't much better than stock if at all. The only timing set that will work for my car that isn't "stock" is the $500+ comp cams double roller and i'm not that sure it will work either. I really don't think the timing chain is going to be the first thing I am going to have to worry about breaking either.. more likely the trans and rear end.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Banned

The cloyes and lunati single non rollers aren't much better than stock if at all. The only timing set that will work for my car that isn't "stock" is the $500+ comp cams double roller and i'm not that sure it will work either. I really don't think the timing chain is going to be the first thing I am going to have to worry about breaking either.. more likely the trans and rear end.

Cloyes builds GM timing sets to GM spects. There vented opti set is much better than stock.It's a roller and has billett gears.It' the LT-4ED.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:15 PM

I can't argue with making something stronger such as a heavy duty timing set. But I won't defend it either as I have run and replaced the timing set with a stock timing set on my rebuild. I know quite a few people who have LT-1's that run nitrous with strokers and 350's. They or me have never had any problems running nitrous with the stock timing set. I won't say that stronger isn't better, but I have seen the stock timing sets run fine in numerous other LT-1's.

ZMAN
Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 PM

funny that you say that, not to sure if LS1's run a better timing set, but there is a ton of them around here running mid 11s and few even in the 10s running nitrous and blower setups and with their stock timing sets, granted it might not be the safest way to go, I haven't seen of heard of any horror stories out here with the stock timing sets.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:51 PM

I haven't seen of heard of any horror stories out here with the stock timing sets.
You must just not of looked around to much then.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...e+timing+chain
There are more but i don't want to take the time to find them.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:08 AM

I recently upgraded my '94 to the '95 opti and aftermarket timing chain. I highly suggest you do this now, because it is kind of a PITA to do with the engine in the car. It will come back to haunt you later on, just like it did to me.

Upon tear down, I found the stock timing chain stretched beyond belief, I am surprised it didn't come off! What a pile of **** the stock chain is. I would never trust that part again, it's just too important of a part to skimp on.

Basically in order to make the swap to a '95 opti, you will need to change the cam to get the longer dowel pin to drive the opti. Not a big deal if the motor is already out of the car.

You will need a '95 timing cover.

You can run a gm performance parts heavy duty chain with this combo or...

Run an electric water pump and install a standard double roller chain (I got a rollmaster from Scoggin Dickey). But the timing cover will need to be clearanced. I was lucky because my bro has a cnc shop. I had the cover machined. The top hole in the cover has to be covered also because the water pump is no longer driven mechanically.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by EDS Z28
I recently upgraded my '94 to the '95 opti and aftermarket timing chain. I highly suggest you do this now, because it is kind of a PITA to do with the engine in the car. It will come back to haunt you later on, just like it did to me.

Upon tear down, I found the stock timing chain stretched beyond belief, I am surprised it didn't come off! What a pile of **** the stock chain is. I would never trust that part again, it's just too important of a part to skimp on.

Basically in order to make the swap to a '95 opti, you will need to change the cam to get the longer dowel pin to drive the opti. Not a big deal if the motor is already out of the car.

You will need a '95 timing cover.

You can run a gm performance parts heavy duty chain with this combo or...

Run an electric water pump and install a standard double roller chain (I got a rollmaster from Scoggin Dickey). But the timing cover will need to be clearanced. I was lucky because my bro has a cnc shop. I had the cover machined. The top hole in the cover has to be covered also because the water pump is no longer driven mechanically.
just out of curiosity, how much did the 95 opti swap end up costing you with cover, opti, harness, 2 vacuum lines, etc.?? Unfortunelty I pretty much had to just go with the stock timing set for now because I don't have any money left being the car ended up costing $1,000 more than expected as since I had to "refresh" the shortblock and then I found one of the main caps were in broken so that costed $340 w/ line bore and now that I am going back to school shortly and will no longer be working I really didn't have much of a choice but to put this off.. If I had the time I could prolly end up doing to conversion with buying a used opti, cover, and maybe even harness off here and just maybe get it swapped for half the price and actually be able to afford this. How much did this conversion end up costing you? What do you mean by that I have to change the cam? the actual cam need to be changed or just the dowel pin? I just bought a custom grind comp cam is why I ask...

Quick Reply: replacing timing chain?