LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Resurrecting a dormant Z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:07 AM

Re: Resurrecting a dormant Z28

I thought the tank was good, based on what I found after I cut the trap door & siphoned out the fuel. I hadda know exactly where the leak was coming from, and fortunately, it isn't the tank. I cut mine over the quick-connects, too, but it was still difficult getting the feed & return lines off. (I'd post a photo, but apparently I'm not authorized for that.) Finding replacements is likewise a PITA. As I note in my other posting, looks like I'll be making 'em--or having someone else do it.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:58 AM

My local Advance/ Autozone etc has the standard GM & Ford plastic fuel line ends with a short section of the tubing where looks like it is designed to cut the existing line back a ways and repair the end connections. You might check into that if you can't source a whole new one.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:24 PM

Could take the existing lines to the parts house, and have them match the material/size and cut to length - then install/route/fasten how you like.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:46 PM

If mine failed I'd probably take it as the opportunity to go with Braided/AN system.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:11 PM

Did hear back from Hawks; they have 1--both the feed and return--for $125. It's used, so is likely the "Fluoroelastomer" noted in the FSM. Might be a bit tough snaking it in there; the FSM says 'yank the tank,' but I'll pass on that. I'll go out tomorrow, pull the existing return and see how it goes. Dang thing ain't that long. I'd really like to have a fix on hand before pulling it, under the circumstances, but...

I like Eric's idea (what Pete & Drew were suggesting), but I also like the idea of using braided, given the add'l flexibility. I'll see how difficult it is and decide. I just wanna wrap it up soon so I can move on w/ the exhaust & tranny.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:44 PM

$125 is nuts for the used lines, I grabbed a full plastic tank from a yard for $65. If I had it to do again, Aeromotive sells a replacement tank ready for AN lines for $500ish (depending on which pump you get) with a total capacity of 21 gallons. I haven't seen anyone with pics, but that is a huge capacity upgrade.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:54 AM

As noted in another thread, got the fuel system issues resolved. Thanks to all who made suggestions--esp. those who nudged me toward -AN. I tried both--and both worked fine--but while the Dorman kit is serviceable, -AN is much better. Rerouted my lines and now can R&R the pump in < an hour. Cost ~$80, which provides enuff hose & adapters to also do the front. Looks like someone already upgraded the front lines, and since there are no leaks, I'm in no rush.

Working on the exhaust now, front to back. Am going w/ the Magnaflow 93444 cat w/ crossover; direct fit, stainless, mandrel bent and most signif., no add'l bending, cutting or welding. Doubt I'll ever need to, but if the cat goes bad, it's an easy R&R. I could skip the cat since they no longer inspect here in FL, but nah.

For the cat-back, there are 3 options. All are mandrel bent, and ostensibly direct fit--meaning no cutting, bending or welding. Allegedly. But all cat-backs are not created equal. Neither stainless nor sound are primary considerations. Fitment and, to some extent, price are (not going Borla, Corsa, GMMG or any of the big-ticket kits). Band clamps are a plus, but I can get those local.

Flowmaster 17143: Not stainless, no band clamps or tips. Price range $400 - $450. Various reviews note the short intermediate pipe; it still fits--sorta--but is best welded. Like to avoid welding. Reviews note other difficulties w/ fitment.

Hooker 16827: Not stainless ('cept the tips), good dualie tips, no band clamps. Intermediate pipe is 1 piece, which might make it a bit tougher to install. Price range $385 - $460. Reviews don't indicate any special issues, other than occas. missing parts and the like.

Magnaflow 15620 "Street Series": Stainless, good single tips, includes band clamps, a more mellow sound (they have a more-agressive offering, but I prefer the subdued growl). Price range $540 - $595. A really good price point for stainless, should pair well w/ the Magnaflow cat.

I'm leaning toward the Magnaflow. Anyone have any exper. w/ any of these? Any fitment issues? Some of the reviews indicated you need a lift to install, but that's never been my experience w/ exhausts. Never tried it on a Z28, but if you can yank the tank w/o a lift, swapping a cat back should be doable.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:09 AM

Glad to read of your restoration . I have the 3" Corsa system. Great fit, appearance and clamps. Sounds great outside. Inside the car at 70 Mph, is 90Db. Horrible!
Old 04-30-2021, 08:32 AM

Do you have long tube headers? If so, Speed Engineering’s dual 3” kit is just over $500. You would need the pan hard relocation mod, and because the kit is made for the LS, it requires minor mods (cut on the passenger side and 3” addition to the driver side for me).
Old 04-30-2021, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by plattted
Glad to read of your restoration . I have the 3" Corsa system. Great fit, appearance and clamps. Sounds great outside. Inside the car at 70 Mph, is 90Db. Horrible!
Those Corsa's are some pricey systems. And the cab noise you note is a big negative. I still have the stock Bose system (and plan to keep it) & don't wanna compete w/ exhaust noise.

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS
Do you have long tube headers? If so, Speed Engineering’s dual 3” kit is just over $500. You would need the pan hard relocation mod, and because the kit is made for the LS, it requires minor mods (cut on the passenger side and 3” addition to the driver side for me).
Don't have long tubes, but have given it serious thought. Main concern is fitment issues. While I'm sure there are some that fit in nicely, I've read plenty of horror stories where they didn't. If I do headers, I'd want to go true dual, which isn't all that easy, given the limited ground clearance. As you note, there is likely to be mods needed--cutting, welding, etc.

At the same time, if I keep the stock manifolds, I'm committed to a stock-ish cat & cat-back solution, altho I can upgrade to 3-3.5". Given that it isn't a DD, that would likely last the life of the car--or at least outlast me. Esp. true if I go SS. I could still change it down the line, but after dropping ~$1000, I wouldn't be in any hurry about it.

Tough call...
Old 04-30-2021, 12:06 PM

Check out the Kooks LT1 true dual exhaust, it is almost identical to the Speed Engineering setup, as are the headers. I have Kooks on my car, but got them on a steal from another member. The Kooks setup fits well and makes spark plugs easy, but did require the removal of the oil cooler, and with a Canton pan, the oil level sensor (should fit fine with stock). The other item of note here is that with Speed Engineering, you would also be deleting the cats if you have not already done so. Clearance under the car is good with the dual setup, but my car is not lowered.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:13 PM

Ok, Drew, I weenied-out & kept the stock manifolds. Part of me was sayin' 'yeah, get them headers & go true dual,' but the other side was thinking 'bout the xtra work, xtra expense (altho not too bad), no cats, etc. I was checking out Keith's "Bang for the Buck" chart, and while I'd get some HP/torque gain, my more-rational side was sayin' 'like you'll ever be hittin' the track.' I'm more likely to pull up next to some kid in a tricked-out Mustang and say, 'yeah, I'd race you, but I'm just too damn old for that...'

I go catless, it'd be my luck they'll bring back inspections down here. Esp. w/ all the noise I'm hearin' on the news about doing away w/ fossil fuels and cars that run on 'em. I'm sure there are some wonderful (and pricey) electric cars out there, but I hope I croak before I'm FORCED to drive one. Odds are on my side.

So I have the Magnaflow cat & crossover, and am waiting on the Magnaflow cat-back (should have it sometime next week). At least I'm upgrading to 3". Do the deed & off to Tim the tranny god. Now that I've saved myself a few bucks on the exhaust, I'll go w/ an upgraded TC. I'm thinkin' a 2400 stall & a tight setup. I've got the GU5, 323 rear, so I've already got decent low-end, and will likely never reach the high-end. If I can keep it to, say, ~100rpm @ the shift points, I should be good.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:01 PM

In more recent Z28 news...

Got the cat-back on, reset the PCM and it's a considerable improvement. Whoever worked on it before welded a 3" muffler to the stock 2.75" pipes, and the results were...underwhelming. This quiets it down to a throaty growl, altho I didn't change the cat yet--gonna let TrannyMan do that, since they'll need to pull the cat anyway. Btw, I asked a while back if I could attach a 3" to the stock cat, and the answer is yes. My cat is hollowed out and acts more like a resonator, but that will soon change.

Woulda been nice to have a lift, but an extra pair of hands woulda been just as good. I was surprised by how heavy the Magnaflow muffler is. Hadda position it on a trolly jack, and spent quite a while getting everything lined up just right before hitting it w/ the air gun.

Dropped in on TrannyMan to nail down the TC and delivery date (June 7 - argh!). Told him what all I had done and what I was planning to do--and not do--and asked what he thought. Told me I'd be good w/ a 2200 - 2500 true stall w/ lockup. Given my propensity for the freeway fracas, told him I like a tight setup, and he agrees. Good to know we're on the same page. Wish I could get it in sooner, but they're really slammed. There were some really nice rides in the lot, including a 30s era Chevy pickup restomod. Not surprised--this is the go-to guy around these parts.

And so I wait...