LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Reusing my stock 75k lifters...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:55 PM

Reusing my stock 75k lifters...

Okay, I am going to finish my cam install this weekend. The only part I'm not replacing with something new is the lifters. They have never been revved over 5500 and honestly 90% of the time they were never revved over 5200 or 5300 (damn stock tach). They look perfect still, no wear or play in bearing, however I do know about stock lifters... I have a deal with a guy for some comp r's, only problem is I won't be able to finish my car this weekend if I wait for the comp r's. Lead me the right way... Thanks.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:56 PM

I would just wait for the comp Rs and do it right the first time.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:14 PM

I knew that would be the answer, I just want to drive it so bad man... ****. Crap damn.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:19 PM

I really think I could use a personal, portable *** kicker every time I work on the car, find something that should be replaced and would be very easy to replace at the time and I say "I'll do it later".

Examples:

September: Pulled motor through the bottom, installed new motor.
October: Pulled transmission (PITA) to install a new torque converter.
November: Installing Jet-Hot LTs, changing motor mounts (really, really stupid for not changing them the first time) and installing cam.

Imagine how easy would've been to do it all at the same time.

Just be patient and do it now or you'll regret later that you didn't do it when it was easy.

Old 11-07-2003, 01:24 PM

I reused mine with no problem. But I plan to take them out very soon to swap with some new ones. I was like you, I wanted to hear the damn thing so bad I was willing to do anything.

get ya some new ones chief
Old 11-07-2003, 01:26 PM

November: Installing Jet-Hot LTs, changing motor mounts (really, really stupid for not changing them the first time) and installing cam.

gotta love the motor mounts huh?

I just got finished doing the exact same thing:gaytardcarfromhell:
Old 11-07-2003, 01:35 PM

You know...I was wondering the same thing and asked my local machinist and engine builder. He just finished my 383 block work and I'm assembling it. When doing the parts list he said to use the stock lifters. I said "what???" and he told me they would be fine and didn't even think twice. He said the stock lifters can easily handle the set-up. That was the only thing he didn't recommend changing. Being that he is in the busniess of making money I figure he would've told me at least to get them if I feel like it like he did on the other stuff.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:45 PM

you should be ok with the stockers. just inspect them really well. I re-used mine.. BUT then i didn't adjust the valvetrain and bent a pushrod, the pushrod took a lifter with it.
If I would have done it right the first time I would have the stockers, but since I didn't....
Now I have Comp R's
Old 11-07-2003, 01:46 PM

I would inspect the old cam/lifters, most of the time you look at the lobes of the old cam & they have scratches all over, remember by reusing those lifters you will be transfering those marks onto the new cam, also remember when you will go DYNO you're car & you will be missing a few HP you'll be constantely thinking that maybe your lifters are collapsing at high rpm etc... you'll get new lifters right away except now you're marked your new cam, which will now mark your new lifters, what a great way to duplicate the old miles in a few days hu ?
Old 11-07-2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by bunker
I would inspect the old cam/lifters, most of the time you look at the lobes of the old cam & they have scratches all over, remember by reusing those lifters you will be transfering those marks onto the new cam, also remember when you will go DYNO you're car & you will be missing a few HP you'll be constantely thinking that maybe your lifters are collapsing at high rpm etc... you'll get new lifters right away except now you're marked your new cam, which will now mark your new lifters, what a great way to duplicate the old miles in a few days hu ?
That is what I'm afraid of most... I hate slow developing problems, they make me think my car is POS when it really isn't. Okay comp r's it is...
Old 11-07-2003, 01:59 PM

Just inspect your stock lifters for wear. If they look good resue them. I did
Old 11-07-2003, 02:33 PM

FWIW, My motor had 120K on it when we did my 383 Blown swap with a cc305 cam with 1.5 Rockers. I too never spin my motor past 6000rpms and always did my oil changes prior to 3000 mile (basically I took pretty good care of my old motor) and the stock lifters were in great shape after 120K miles on em. so I used them on my new 383 motor. I currently spin my new setup to 5900rpms with No problems what so ever. BTW, I already put 20K the new motor which means the stock lifters have 140K miles on them with no problems.
My friend Maldo did the same thing with his motor/cam swap and he had 70K miles on his old lifters, now he has 90K on his lifters but he is running the 224/236 cam with 1.5 RR (he spins his motor to 6300rpms). I would say if you dont have a terrible radical cam and your lifters look fine, go ahead and re-use em.

Thx,
Claude
Old 11-07-2003, 02:49 PM

I reused my old lifters with my 383 for the same reasons...lol... I was ready to hear the thing rumble!!!! They seem to be holding up fine, but I have an unlocatable valvetrain noise, it doesnt seem to effect power but it is steady. I readjusted my rockers (comp 1.6 steel rrs) and it still is there no matter where I preload them at. Anyway I later plan on doing a peice by peice valvetrain swap to locate it. I would say fill them with oil and see how they react to adjustment.
Claude that car of yours is killer!
Old 11-07-2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Perry93TransAm
Claude that car of yours is killer!
Thanks Broh, I appreciate the kind words!

I took a gander at your sig too, Looks like you are making a Beast yourself

Claude
Old 11-07-2003, 04:12 PM

Thanks!!! It runs great so far (would be nice with boost ....) but for the little tick ticks. lol
On the subject of the lifters though, I just talked with a freind of mine that has been a GM cert mech for 27 years and he says if there is no scoring on the roller face and the snap rings or wires are doing a good job that they should be fine, of course he says the center spring wont really be able to tell you its bad til its preloaded with oil.

Quick Reply: Reusing my stock 75k lifters...