LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rich? Thick black residue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:31 PM

Rich? Thick black residue?

Im having a few problems with my car currently... When I start it, it creates a TON of smoke which makes my eyes string so bad I have to leave an open garage. I toned it down by setting the injectors constant higher but it has not stopped it. Im wondering if a really rich rich car can create a thick black residue in the exhaust after the turbos. I don't have any reason to believe the turbos are leaking oil since they only have 30 miles on them. I pulled the plugs and none of them seem to be coated in oil, but they are a dark black from running rich. Basically what im asking is if a really rich car would leave a black liquid residue in the exhaust.

Last edited by Rodrigues; 04-01-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:19 AM

Re: Rich? Thick black residue?

Originally posted by Rodrigues
Im having a few problems with my car currently... When I start it, it creates a TON of smoke which makes my eyes string so bad I have to leave an open garage. I toned it down by setting the injectors constant higher but it has not stopped it. Im wondering if a really rich rich car can create a thick black residue in the exhaust after the turbos. I don't have any reason to believe the turbos are leaking oil since they only have 30 miles on them. I pulled the plugs and none of them seem to be coated in oil, but they are a dark black from running rich. Basically what im asking is if a really rich car would leave a black liquid residue in the exhaust.
well nobody else answerd u..im not sure of ur prolem but a car running really rick will leave a black residue in ur pipes

also a smell of gas and it may ruin ur o2 sensors and clog ur cats

are cars are made to run slightly rich which leads to a slight build up of black residue in the pipes but if u have alot and black smoke then u are running really rich
Old 04-02-2004, 02:25 PM

Re: Re: Rich? Thick black residue?

My car is running rich beyond belief, im pretty sure my leafblowers, err turbos are messing up the MAF readings which is screwing everything up as well as 42 lb injectors...
Originally posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
well nobody else answerd u..im not sure of ur prolem but a car running really rick will leave a black residue in ur pipes

also a smell of gas and it may ruin ur o2 sensors and clog ur cats

are cars are made to run slightly rich which leads to a slight build up of black residue in the pipes but if u have alot and black smoke then u are running really rich
Old 04-02-2004, 11:12 PM

Cool

When I had my intake manifold leak fixed,all my smoking went away.Hope this helps.