LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:19 PM

is this right?

i'm half way into my cam swap and have started to swap the valve springs. First thing i noticed when i took off the rockers is that one of the locks in the retainer on the valve closest to the front on the #1 cylinder was half out. the top of the lock had been ground down a little because of the rocker rubbing against it and the vlave itself had been slightly worn on one side. It actually looked like it was about to pop off. guess it was a good idea to do a cam swap after all...

The problem i have now is that i just put on the first two spring on the #1 cylinder and there is more valve poking out of the top of one retainer than the other. they both seem to be seated correctly and I checked by hitting the top of the valve and then the retainer with a rummer mallet. Is it normal to have height differences like this??
Old 05-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Re: is this right?

No...something is definantly wrong. I'd be more interested on seeing why that happened. It sounds like you may need to replace that valve.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:21 AM

the valve that had the lock almost come off is the higher one on the #1 cylinder. The wear it has is fairly small and is only on the very side of the valve.Its the other one thats a bit lower. Would i really need to replace a valve?? Which one?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:31 AM

Why it happened? How about because GM didn't build the cars for racing?
If you beat on a car, especially a stock one, things are going to happen. JMHO
Old 05-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

with all the rockers off and just the springs on... the valves should all be the same height. Bring cylinder 1 to TDC andd take the springs off and push both of the valves down. When they stop check to see if they are even. Then report back.

Last edited by Heatmaker; 05-24-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:35 PM

I measured the distance from the top of the valve to the seat on both valves and it was the same (within a few thousanths) but when i measured the distance from the top of the grove on the valve to the top on both it differed by about 3 hundreths.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
Why it happened? How about because GM didn't build the cars for racing? JMHO
If so then why does GM ect. provide 0 to 60 times as well as 1/4 mile for a sports car? I think they are built to perform my car is proof If you beat on anything enough things will happen. JMHO
Old 05-24-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy_30th
If so then why does GM ect. provide 0 to 60 times as well as 1/4 mile for a sports car? I think they are built to perform my car is proof If you beat on anything enough things will happen. JMHO
i think the cars are made pretty tough but i also think they mass produce them. these cars are slapped together as fast as possible. there are going to be problems. thats where the term "blueprinting" comes from. When stock car guys would go through a pile of parts tring to find the one that matches the factory blue print perfectly, becuase they found that those ones worked best.people spent alot of time doing that. Most parts arn't built perfectly to spec and i think in my case that it may not have been assembled correctly.