LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rings not seated properly? Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:26 AM

Rings not seated properly? Need help.

I need some help from some experienced guys/engine builders. As this is my first performance build.

I have two problems:
Oil seems to have gas in it
Theres a little oil on spark plug threads.

Tune from pcm4less and plugs are nice and brown. There is no puff of smoke at startup so that may rule out valveseals. I do get a little puff of blue smoke when I get on it. Engine runs strong and idles good. Haven't drove it much has less than 1k on the rebuild.

Also my intake wasn't milled so I had to elongate the holes to get it to line up. I'm hoping this is the problem, but could just be wishful thinking. So what do you think?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by bowtiethunder
I need some help from some experienced guys/engine builders. As this is my first performance build.

I have two problems:
Oil seems to have gas in it
Theres a little oil on spark plug threads.

Tune from pcm4less and plugs are nice and brown. There is no puff of smoke at startup so that may rule out valveseals. I do get a little puff of blue smoke when I get on it. Engine runs strong and idles good. Haven't drove it much has less than 1k on the rebuild.

Also my intake wasn't milled so I had to elongate the holes to get it to line up. I'm hoping this is the problem, but could just be wishful thinking. So what do you think?
At this point a cylinder leakdown test might be a good first step in "maybe" being able to see where the problem is comming from.......How did you break in the engine (piston rings)?........what oil?.......depending on some of these factors, your rings could still be wearing in even after 1000 miles.......Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 03-19-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:20 AM

Yeah forgot to mention that I'm waiting to get some header gaskets before I do a compression test so I can drop the passenger side header.

For the break in I varied the throttle between 1500 and 2500 for about 20minutes, then a cooldown, then same procedure. Then I changed oil and started driving it taking spirited but not wot drives working my way up to wot. I used 10w30 for break in and after, but now I'm using 40w because of the gas. Also the motor has less than 1000 miles. I'm using JE rings with SRP forged pistons.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:57 AM

Get some leakdown numbers, or compression test followed by a compression test with some oil squirted in the cylinder.

It very well could be your intake allowing oil to bypass the bottom of the gasket.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:40 AM

Is it hard to start? Wondering if you may have a leaky injector. As stated get a leakdown done.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 AM

Starts real easy when cold, but cranks slow when hot but thats just probably compression and stock starter right?

I also got new SVO 30lb injectors so I never thought of that, thanks. I'll check into that later.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:40 PM

ok got 6 of 8 cylinders checked and I've got a problem. #8 builds compression to 210 psi while cranking, and after cranking it drops to zero. So what does this mean? I pulled the valvecover and the rockers look good. Anything esle to check before I start tearing it down.

Last edited by bowtiethunder; 03-19-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by bowtiethunder
ok got 6 of 8 cylinders checked and I've got a problem. #8 builds compression to 210 psi while cranking, and after cranking it drops to zero. So what does this mean? I pulled the valvecover and the rockers look good. Anything esle to check before I start tearing it down.
It means the pressure is escaping out of the cylinder by way of the weakest point. More than likely your compression rings on that cylinder are not so good. Put a squirt of oil in the cylinder and recheck the compression to see if it'll hold pressure. Are you doing this while the engine is somewhat warm?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:42 AM

I think my tester messed up. #8 and #6 lost pressure quick, so I tried it again on #3 and it done the same thing when it didn't earlier. I done it 3 or 4 times on each of these cylinders. I got another tester laying around so I'll have to do it again.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:23 AM

subscribing... post the results with the new tester.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:06 PM

Damn I forgot about this thread sorry guys. Anyway I got the cylinders tested with the other tester and all was good on the compression test. About a week later I took the intake off and sure enough I had oil down the intake runners and gasket didn't have a very good pinch. So I had the intake milled and changed plugs and so far so good. Sorry for the long delay I forgot about it and don't browse this site much anymore.