LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

roll bar guys back seat usable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 09:26 PM

roll bar guys back seat usable?

I want to install a roll bar to my 96 t top car that I autocross with.I use the car only as pleasure car but need to be able to take the kids for a ride or I would drive a Corvette! So is there room in the back seat fo small child and a car seat? any advise which to look at? How much time to install and cost? I would like to weld to my Kenney brown double diamond subs. Thanks
Old 01-11-2004, 09:55 PM

Mine were accessible for a 150 lb skinny flexible guy like me with a lot of acrobatic moves to get back there, or through the hatch, you can see pics in my sig of it.

Im sure it wouldnt be too bad for little ones to get back there though. You could also have them mount the crossbar a little higher for easier underneath access.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:47 PM

I've been dreading getting a rollbar, just for this reason, I've heard numerous times that having a 5 or 6 point bar system makes the backseat obsolete. I think the main problem is the center brace that goes behind the seats is very close to the rear occupants. I wuldn't put anybody in the backseat unless they wore a helmet, in case of an accident there is no way to stop body parts from hitting the steel. I especially wouldn't put kids back there, sure they may fit, but what happens if there is a fire in an accident, your not going to get them out to easy. I'm at the point right now where I must make the decision get a rollbar, or not run at the track, or sell my convertible.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by D James
I've been dreading getting a rollbar, just for this reason, I've heard numerous times that having a 5 or 6 point bar system makes the backseat obsolete. I think the main problem is the center brace that goes behind the seats is very close to the rear occupants. I wuldn't put anybody in the backseat unless they wore a helmet, in case of an accident there is no way to stop body parts from hitting the steel. I especially wouldn't put kids back there, sure they may fit, but what happens if there is a fire in an accident, your not going to get them out to easy. I'm at the point right now where I must make the decision get a rollbar, or not run at the track, or sell my convertible.
That's why people put padding on the bars! I'd feel a lot safer with a rollbar.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:28 PM

Yeah, you have to travel about 2 ft to hit the crossbrace behind the seats with your face to hit it, and there are seatbelts back there, not just lap either, nice ones. If you set up the back braces right you cant really hit your head on it in the upright position.

Fire...how many times do you have a fire on the street with your kids in the car, i hope never, maybe at the track, not on the street though.

Any anyone that says that having a rollbar just for the driver makes it less safe, thats BS, the only way it is less safe is if you hit your head, and one you can set it up so you cant hit your head like mine, or two sfi padding does the trick.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:34 PM

you can buy a bolt in kit with the back crossbar removable, think all you have to do is weld in the main hoops to make it legal.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:39 PM

crossbar behind seats must be welded in to be nhra legal, you can however have swingouts, doesnt make much sense to me, but i dont make the rules. also the side bars must be between your shoulder and your elbow where it passes your arm with your arm hanging down. I believe there is also a regulation on the crossbar height, but am unsure of details.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:33 AM

Well I hope I am wrong causeI need to get one to run at the track, and I always have people ridding in the rear, so I don't want to get rid of that option. I am only going by what other people have said. I've seen some cars with the bars, but never sat in them and they do look to tight for passengers. Those padings I sure will help, but they are still very solid and if you hit your head on it, its going cause some damage, unless like you guys are saying that they are to far away to hit your head. This sounds great, but I hope the NHRA regulations don't place that bar in the wrong place. As far as fires in cars, they definetly happen, there was one girl who lost her hands nose, ears, hair everything, the only thing left was her feet which she prizes now, all because she was trapped in the car on fire while the rescue workers tryed helping her. I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I would think the extra bars make the car safer since it protects from impacts and rolls, I know I wouldn't want to flip my vert without one.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:45 PM

Yeah, I would feel totally safe riding in the back of my car (if there were still seats and a way to get back there) as long as there was padding on the bar just incase, with the shoulder straps in the rear and the amount of travel required to hit that bar, its not likely.

Also if you are really concerned you could pick of some cheapo 5-points for in the back as well. I know with my simpson 5point on up front the only thing i can move is my arms and head, and not much at that.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:50 PM

I did some research on wolfe look good and although not nhra legal I would definatly get the removeable rear bar. I mean if you can't put the driver seat back how can you get laid?! Really i'm 6'2" so i always have my seat back.And autocross is not nhra yet.
http://www.wolferacecraft.com/ I hope you can click on the link.
I do a great deal of driving only once have I seen a car fire person went off bridge maybe with roll bar tank would not have caught fire!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:29 PM

My 7 year old kids can fit with my Wolfe 6 point. I padded the crossbar for them....they called it the toothchipper Anyway, they crawl under it, but I dont see a full size person sitting back there.

Q
Old 01-12-2004, 10:25 PM

Dreamer1Q, two questions, I also have a vert with a late model console, is that the stock place for the convertable top switch or did you make that little panel, also, can you hear your sub at all with the top down? BTW, very nice.
Patrick
Old 01-12-2004, 10:34 PM

I've been using a Kenny Brown bolt in six point "street cage" and an LG harness bar. I can remove the harness bar with some minor acrobatics and still have a very user friendly back seat.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:40 PM

I fit a couple of honeys in the back of mine with the Wolfe 6 point. They said it was like riding in a roller coaster.

With a child's seat, I'd be concerned about it fitting 'cause the kids will fit fine. Also, properly installing the safety seat would be challenging.

Mike
Old 01-13-2004, 04:33 AM

Well I'm glad to hear that people are able to still use the back seat. Doesn't NHRA mandate that a 5 point seatbelt harness be used once a rollbar is installed?

Quick Reply: roll bar guys back seat usable?