LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Routing plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:19 AM

Routing plug wires

I bought some MSD wire and had planned to route them in the stock location on the pass side but cannot get them behind a tube running from the power steering pump.

How did you guys run yours? I had to cut the stock one the get them out, couldn't get the boot out from behing the tube.

After this I think I will switch to an ovc kit when I get headers, what a PITA ::
Old 04-16-2004, 08:38 AM

Try routing the wires down a little further on the side of the block to get the boot through. I had to cut my stock ones to get em off too. Then after crawling under the front of the car I noticed I had more room a little lower. So I'd slide the boots through in that wider area and then slide them up to the stock locations. FYI I pitched the stock looms cause they were too small for my wires anyways. I just used some zip ties to make sure they stayed in place. Getting rid of those should give you a little more room at the turn.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:30 AM

I did pretty much what Jay-Roll said, and I'm using the same wires you are (MSD 8.5mm). Make sure you get rid of the stock wire looms, especially that plastic piece behind the ps pump. That will help make some more room. I got all my plug wires out in one piece, no problem.

I think to install them I might have started on the firewall side of the tube that you speak of (as opposed to the radiator side) and fed the opti (straight) ends down first, instead of trying to fit the plug (90-deg) ends behind the tube. HTH
Old 04-16-2004, 09:48 AM

Thanks guys, but how did you remove the plastic loom under the p/s pump. I didn't get a good look at it last night but any additional info would help tonight. I had already planned to scrap the stock looms but couldn't see how to remove that one.

Thanks again! You guys have given me hope!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:53 AM

I think I just grabbed em with a pair of needle nose pliers and just yanked em out. That's my style of working though so you might not want to do the same thing lol. Won't hurt anything if you don't go too nuts. FYI I'm using MSD 8.5mm wires also.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Jay-Roll
I think I just grabbed em with a pair of needle nose pliers and just yanked em out. That's my style of working though so you might not want to do the same thing lol. Won't hurt anything if you don't go too nuts. FYI I'm using MSD 8.5mm wires also.
Thats the same thing I did. I think I used a combination of needle nose pliers and a flathead screwdriver and tore it out of there. I think I broke it into a few pieces before it decided to come out. Don't worry about ruining the stock looms. The bigger MSD wires won't fit into them anyway.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:13 PM

I just did this 2 days ago. Route the straight boots from the top and behind the line. It can get a little congested lol. Just make sure that your wires aren't touching the pulley. We ground the plastic clips down to make em work, still a tight fit.