LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

running rich and car dies at idle?LONG!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:05 PM

running rich and car dies at idle?LONG!

So far from what I have read in old posts, there could be multiple different things to cause this? The O2s are not original, the driver side was replaced around 8 months to a year ago and the other was replaced around a year and a half ago. Both were replaced around a year and a half ago but an exhaust leak killed the drivers side O2.

After having the dealership throw a new thermostat in the car ( no time to do it myself ) the car died at a light on the way home? Very strange because the car had never done that in the past. It didnt happen again for quite some time but started to die whenever I would sit with the car running in park for a few minutes. It would always start right back up with no problem but would again die if I continued to allow the car to run in park?

A few weeks ago the car died like normal and when I tried to re start it, it actually paused before it started to turn over, seemed like it took just an extra blink before it started to turn over? Now last week it died like normal but when I re started the car it instantly died again. I tried 3 or 4 more times then gave up. Came outside an hour later and the car started right up like new. This happened again and the only way I got it to start was to rev it up as soon as it fired up, it would then be fine?

Ive noticed in the last two weeks or so that the car has had a strong gas smell from it. The weather has actually just started getting cold and I thought maybe that had something to do with it?BUT, now driving home tonight from work, the car had a VERY VERY STRONG SMELL OF GAS, alot more then before and when I stopped at a couple of traffic lights it would actually cut off. I just put it in neutral to raise the idle guessing that it was loading up at low rpms?????

I am currently on my 3rd opti spark in about three and a half years and was guessing that it was that again but I would like to know the easiest,cheapest and quickest way to diagnose and fix it.

I really appreciate any help you guys and girls could provide!

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Old 11-04-2004, 09:24 PM

Re: running rich and car dies at idle?LONG!

Sounds like when they changed your thermostat they got your opti wet
Old 11-04-2004, 09:29 PM

Yeah thats what Im figuring but I wasnt sure if that would cause the rich condition?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:40 AM

How old are the plugs in it? After running rich for so long, they are at the least fouled. What about wires? If I were you I'de check both consistancy of spark at each plug and check to see what the fuel pressure is doing after the engine is shut down before I go changing optis. A leaky injector can do what your talking about as well.

Oh yeah, if your running rich enough to smell, you should do 2 things. The first critical point is check the oil for fuel contamination by smelling it. If so, change it and only run it long enough to find the problem. The other thing is look for a dead cylinder. Many times when it runs rich, it has a dead hole.

Dave
Old 11-06-2004, 06:28 PM

I think the plugs aer somewher around that one and a half to two years old? Maybe 20-30K miles? I went to work the other day and it didnt smell like gas until when I pulled into my work parking lot about 30 miles away and it was back strong? I thought maybe it was gone but no such luck. My problem right now is that I work alot and cant go without my car for long periods of time so I dont have much time to myself to look into it. What would be the best way to trouble shoot this? Would checking codes tell me or is it deeper than that? I have a constant code from emissions equipment so I wouldnt know if it threw one.

I work 55-65 hours a week so taking it to someone else to fix is what I will probably have to do and you cant trust mechanics at all. Or atleast I cant, I have some horror stories with ripoff mechanics : (

Again thanks for the replies, keep em coming!

Rich
Old 11-06-2004, 06:31 PM

I have the SAME EXACT problem with my 1993 Z28...how much does opti-spark cost? I saw some on summit but didn't know if they were reasonably priced.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:54 PM

I think you can pick them up for around 200, when mine were replaced they were under warranty so I didnt care at that time. I think that is my problem but Im just hoping its something easier?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:41 AM

Here are some numbers from the car, its the high and low of each.

MAF .68-.73 =====.58
MAP 5.22-5.51
ADVANCE -.18--.22 ===== -25
SHORT TERM BANK1 6.3-8.6 ===8.6-10.9
SHORT TERM BANK2 7.8-12.5 ==9.4-14.8

The second numbers==are in drive at 575 RPMS, in park it was around 680is if I remember correctly.

Would that mean anything?

If anyone has any understanding of these numbers feel free.

Thanks again,
Rich
Old 11-11-2004, 05:52 AM

Compared to mine your Map and Maf readings have a big difference...

This are my numbers at Idle/tranny engaged:

Map = 1.25 volts
Maf = 7 grms/sec
Advance = 22*
long Term left = 121
short Term left = 116
Long term right =121
short term right = 116
Advance = 22*

I do have a very very slight misfire I cant pimpoint.....

My first observation is your MAP reading... is that in volts?? that looks like it has very low vacum ***and*** I thought the supply voltage to the MAP was only 5 volts.... I havent actually checked it but if so,,, you shouldnt have a reading of over 5 volts to begin with. PCM?

My second observation is your Fuel Trims... what are your long term trims?? your short term ones are telling me your beast is running extremely rich and is pulling an obscene (spelling?) amount of fuel off...

The timing advance pretty much around what mine is.

The first thing I would do is to check for a huge vacum leak. Second I would check for spark consistency. Did your Map Sensor took a crap? did an injector get stuck open? I will also get me a copy of the Chiltons book and run a complete test of the Evaporative Emission Control system (EECS). Common symptons of malfunction include : Fuel Odors coming from under the Hood, Poor engine Idle, Stalling, Poor driveability. Even if fuel is not leaking from the Evap Canister you still need to check for cracks in it (vacum leak).

Well thats all I can think of for now. I wish you good luck

Marvin
Old 11-11-2004, 10:37 AM

Hey thanks for the help, I really dont know what all this means but I will check into it. A buddy of mine knows a little so I will check back with him. I heard that you can spray carb cleaner around the intake to look for vacuum leaks, I guess I will sart there?

I will check back in with updates.

Thanks again to all!
Rich
Old 11-13-2004, 09:49 PM

We took the car out and scanned it if anyone wants to take a look at it. I have no idea how to link it but I could email the file to you? Anyone feeling like a camaro doctor today?

Again all help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Rich