LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

running super rich => gas in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 PM

running super rich => gas in oil?

Say your STerms were 160-190 instead of like 128.. because of a false lean condition.. from fouled plugs.. so the BPW mS is like 6 instead of 3.. and INJ DC is like 4 instead of 2 what are the chances of gas getting into the crankcase? and how much gas in the crankcase will cause bearing failure?
Old 08-07-2006, 03:19 PM

Re: running super rich => gas in oil?

Also, even if you would change the new oil (100mi) thats in there.. would u also change the new $12 amsoil filter? or would you just drain it out and put it back on?
Old 08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator

You should be looking at the long term corrections first, then the short terms. What are the long terms (BLM's)?

Since the max LT correction is 160, or a 25% fuel addition, it would take ST's approaching 205 to artificially cause the injector pulse widths to double. Is that what you are seeing?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:02 PM

Thanks for responding Injuneer.

Yes, my long terms on the passenger side bank are at 160, while the long terms on the drivers side are at 128. Do you think double the fuel could cause excess seepage into the oil => contamination => bearing failure?

I just drained all the oil, put 3 quarts of walmart supertech full synthetic in, and ran that for about 5 minutes, and then drained that, and then filled it up with castrol syntec. i unplugged the ecu, and have it sitting in the passenger seat. how many minutes does it need to be unplugged for to reset the lterms? 10-15?

I also unplugged both o2 sensors, so that the car will be forced to run in open loop mode until I can get new plugs and wires and install them. assuming the lterms reset to 128, i would assume this should allow my car to run normally without doing any damage until then..

any thoughts, agree or disagree are still appreciated.. thanks guys.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Administrator

You don't need to remove the PCM to clear the codes and the long term corrections. Simply pull the "PCM BAT" fuse for 30 seconds.

Its very likely that the rich condition is washing the lubrication off the cylinder walls, and possibly damaging the rings. The oil will also be diluted and virtually anything it touches could experience excessive wear.

Whether it will suddenly run cleaner in open loop with the O2 sensors unplugged depends on what causing the problem.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 PM

Ahh... woulda been nice if my brain was working and I had thought to just do that instead of removing two bolts and 4 connectors, haha.

Yep the oil smelled like it had a lot of gas in it. Glad I ran those 3 quarts through it to clean things up before I put the fresh 5 in it.

Runs like a champ with both O2s disconnected. Granted, my mileage is probably down a few mpg, and it would run a lot better if it didn't have the misfire, but it gets me to work and back until I have the time to do all the plugs and wires again (these headers make it almost impossible.. even with a gear wrench).

Thanks for the confirmation on the badness of running THAT rich.