LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Running without water pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 PM

Running without water pump ?

Just replaced my opti after getting a warranty replacement from the partsladi. Also did the WP seal and opti seal. I will tackle the crank seal after my 7/16 x 20 threaded rod comes in.

Now I have had two quarter size spots of oil under my car ever since I changed it last time, presumably from the WP seal, even though I replaced it according to cz28 approved guidance. Honestly I think both the WP seal and crank seal are leaking.

I would like to leave the waterpump off and run the car for say a minute or two. Let it cool for an hour or so. Do it again, and repeat a few times allowing oil to circulate a bit and hopefully show me that the dreaded seal is no longer leaking. I don't think things would heat up enough in that short time to cause problems but want to see what the experts think.

Its just impossible to not get coolant everywhere taking the WP off. Last thing I want to do is drench my new opti if I have to do that seal again.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 PM

Man, I dont know about all that business but I ran the old 2001 Mercedes ML430 without the belt (no waterpump) for a few minutes before...dont ask please...That engine never got into the red.

Good luck

Charlie
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM

I would keep that to a minimum. The waterpump actually helps keep the waterpump drive gear stable. If ran too long or at a high rpm..I would think it is possible to damage the bearing in the waterpump drive gear.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 PM

Yea good call-you are right about that with the water pump coupler. Might just defeat the whole purpose. That slight play in that shaft will likely tear up that seal real fast.

Guess I just have to accept the reality that nothing is made easy on these damn motors.

Last edited by mfb_lt1birdman; 11-06-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
When I changed my opti and water pump seals, I ran my car for about a minute without the water pump in order to confirm they weren't leaking.

Even with the water pump mounted, it was fairly easy to confirm that my old water pump seal was leaking by just lying under the car and looking up. If the seals are leaking, I think you'll notice it.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 PM

If it was me..I would just go ahead and change the seal if it is suspect. You already have the waterpump off and the seal is not costly. Good luck on everything.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by rclearyiii
If it was me..I would just go ahead and change the seal if it is suspect. You already have the waterpump off and the seal is not costly. Good luck on everything.
You misunderstood. I already changed the WP seal and Opti seal. I just want to make sure it is right and no longer leaking. I thought it went on perfect last time but it still leaked.

So maybe if I just put the water pump on dry. Run for a minute..Stop..Do it a couple times spaced out giving plenty of time for the engine to cool? Then remove the waterpump and make sure that thing is not leaking anymore.

I realize the heads will heat up fast without any coolant. But I don't think that 1 minute would hurt anything. Is that wishfull thinking?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 AM

mfb_lt1birdman

"I realize the heads will heat up fast without any coolant. But I don't think that 1 minute would hurt anything. Is that wishfull thinking?"

Running the engine for 5 seconds to check for correct opti installation is reasonable but running a minute to try to check those seals wouldn't be. The seals are not under pressure so unless their lips were completely destroyed during installation (you did use tape or a sleeve over the splines when you installed them, didn't you?) you're unlikely to see any leaks. Also, with no coolant in the heads there is nothing to remove the >1000°F combustion chamber temps from the valve seat area. You really do want the cooling system full when you run the engine for more than a few seconds.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
It's not going to hurt your engine to let it idle for a bit without coolant, or having the water pump mounted, in order to check your seals. Several people have done exactly what you are asking about without issue. I doubt you'll need 60 seconds to confirm whether they're leaking. This is all my personal opinion, of course, but I've done just what you're asking. I may have let my car run for a minute, but it was probably more like 30-45 seconds, if that. I'm not sure what the upper time limit would be, but you wouldn't want to leave it running while you go for a jog, or anything.

Last edited by BTC; 11-06-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:11 AM

There is at least one post discussing running an elecric water pump without removing the drive shaft. While I'll acknowledge it's not ideal from an engineering standpoint, lots of people, myself included, have run the car without the waterpump coupler in place. I suffered no oil leaks or failures of any kind.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:41 AM

I have run my motor for up to 30 seconds with out a coolant system to make damn sure the opti was on right.

Wont hurt a thing.