LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

is it safe to take this part off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 07:19 AM

Red face is it safe to take this part off?

I'm not really sure what it's called...the little bolt-in crossmember thingamabob maybe a foot behind the tranny (could be closer or farther, just goin from memory here). It doesn't seem particularly strong so I dunno if it's actually an important structural piece, but I had to take it out...my exhaust was hitting the floorboard, and if I moved it down so it wouldn't hit there, it would hit the crossmember thingy. Is that safe to leave off, or should I modify it or fabricate something new so my exhaust will clear it?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:23 AM
Banned

take it off
Old 06-05-2003, 07:26 AM

Talking

I had to pull mine off to clear the y-pipe. The next day I came out and the car had split in two halves. Be careful!
Old 06-05-2003, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by 96-speed
I had to pull mine off to clear the y-pipe. The next day I came out and the car had split in two halves. Be careful!
Old 06-05-2003, 07:49 AM

My flowmaster catback was hitting that piece so the guy at the exhaust shop heated it up, and "reshaped" it with a hammer

John
Old 06-05-2003, 10:03 PM

You can bet that GM wouldn't have put it on there if it wasn't needed. Maybe you can modify it or fab up some spacers so it will clear.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:09 PM

Dude... that's the driveshaft safety crossmember. I took mine off... to replace it with a stronger unit

The thought of the d/s letting loose from the front while I'm doing a buck 30, catching the rear and flinging me like a frisbee isn't exactly calming to the nerves.

This entire thread belongs on the Import ToonerZ forum!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Silver
Dude... that's the driveshaft safety crossmember. I took mine off... to replace it with a stronger unit

The thought of the d/s letting loose from the front while I'm doing a buck 30, catching the rear and flinging me like a frisbee isn't exactly calming to the nerves.

This entire thread belongs on the Import ToonerZ forum!
what are the chances of a driveshaft falling off?

i've heard more urban legends about fram oil filters being sucked into engines than driveshafts just mysteriously falling off. if it doesn't fall off within a pretty close timeframe of being put on, its not going to fall off, correct?
Old 06-05-2003, 11:09 PM

U joints can fail = flying driveshaft/car, driveshaft can structurally fail as well.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Larnach
U joints can fail = flying driveshaft/car, driveshaft can structurally fail as well.
yes, but wouldn't a failing u-joint be indicated by major vibrations prior to just giving way?
Old 06-06-2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by 96-speed
WTF!!!! Are you exaggerating or did the car literally break in two?
Old 06-06-2003, 12:24 AM

yes he is. GM puts so many stupid parts on these cars. I swear that about 10% of the car's parts arent needed. Just look at the intake for proof!
Old 06-06-2003, 12:57 AM

That's the uhhh... undercarriage spoiler, provides downforce under the car. If you remove it and go over 110 mph, the car may get airborn!

Originally posted by anasazi
yes, but wouldn't a failing u-joint be indicated by major vibrations prior to just giving way?
Yeah, but how soon does it go from "what is that vibration?!?" to "Holy $#@! the driveshaft just shot up and out through my t-top!!!!" . Could happen within a few days, or seconds. Hmm, needs to get me a DS safety loop...
Old 06-06-2003, 01:21 AM

Mines been of for about a year now. I'm not too worried about the ds flying off and catapaulting me.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by stevil
That's the uhhh... undercarriage spoiler, provides downforce under the car. If you remove it and go over 110 mph, the car may get airborn!
Don't worry, he is joking. That only happens if it got installed upside down. Actually you can go up to 120mph without problems. After that get one of those bookshelves, I mean spoiler to help. Hey, it works on those ricers, how many of those have you seen get airborne???

Seriously though, get a driveshaft loop. Better safe than sorry...

Quick Reply: is it safe to take this part off?