LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

security light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 03:12 PM

security light flashing

Ive read over some of the older posts about this subject and Ive found of of it useful but not quite what im looking for.

What happend was I was taking out the steering column to put in the 6 speed pedals. When i put the steerign wheel back in and tried to start the car I was getting a flashing security light. I replaced the key with a new and that didnt work. I did notice that two of my vats wires were disconnected. The purple w/ the white stripe and the black with white stripe were both disconnetced. Im almost positive that this is my problem. But here the thing i have an aftermarket alarm system on my car that was put on before I got the car. The normal brown wire with the two white wire have been cut and are not attchaed to anything anymore. Im thinkink the people that installed the alarm did this and bypassed it some how . So now im stuck with those two striped wires, can I still put the resitor between them and it will work again?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:24 PM

Re: security light flashing

It could be the ignition cylinder. the wires for the vats run outside of it and brake after a while . when they break the car will not start.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 PM

I'm not sure if I understand your question entirely.. but my security light was flashing today, and I couldn't seem to disarm it, and couldn't start the car.. I realized that I had to have the doors and hatch closed and locked, and to remove the battery terminal for about two minutes, then put it back on, and use the remote to unlock and disarm the alarm, then everything worked fine again. The time before that, I had the doors open when I hooked the battery cable back up, and I think thats why the car wouldn't come out of alarm mode.

I might have been totally off your topic here, but in that case, maybe this might at least be helpful to someone googling about the problem I was having today.

Best of luck.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:29 AM

I am having a similar problem. I started my '01 SS today for the first time in a week after coming back from vacation and I just get the flashing security light -- with both ignition keys.

I tried everything but this is the first time I disconnected the battery cable. I am disconnecting the negative side. But You said close and lock all the doors and hatchback first, but should I also arm it? Before disconnecting the battery.

Thanks for any hints.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
Ive read over some of the older posts about this subject and Ive found of of it useful but not quite what im looking for.

What happend was I was taking out the steering column to put in the 6 speed pedals. When i put the steerign wheel back in and tried to start the car I was getting a flashing security light. I replaced the key with a new and that didnt work. I did notice that two of my vats wires were disconnected. The purple w/ the white stripe and the black with white stripe were both disconnetced. Im almost positive that this is my problem. But here the thing i have an aftermarket alarm system on my car that was put on before I got the car. The normal brown wire with the two white wire have been cut and are not attchaed to anything anymore. Im thinkink the people that installed the alarm did this and bypassed it some how . So now im stuck with those two striped wires, can I still put the resitor between them and it will work again?
If you did not disconnect the VATS wires when you pulled the column, then it must have been already bypassed. Maybe you bumped and messed up the bypass wiring during your work. Find those wires and check it out.