LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Seriously aggitated

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 12:02 AM

Angry Seriously aggitated

Got my car back on friday after almost 3 weeks in the shop and over 2 thousand bucks.... original problem i was told was a broken lifter.... so i had all the lifters, cam, gaskets, etc..etc.. replaced... had the car back less then 29 hrs and it apparently broke another lifter.... same exact thing happend as the first time... white smoke out the exhaust.. real bad sputter... HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPEND AFTER ONLY HAVING IT FOR 27 HRS ?????? i wasnt ragging on it.. i hadnt gone over 3500rpm.. came to a red light and kaplooey..... can anyone solve this??? my mechanic doesnt know it happend yet because he is closed on the weekends and this happend around 730 friday night... I just have no idea why this same thing would happen again... please help guys...
Old 06-01-2003, 12:22 AM

no one has any ideas of wtf is goin on here????
Old 06-01-2003, 12:28 AM

Do you have a ticking sound? That's a primary symptom of a bad lifter. White smoke means a bad head gasket. The cam would have nothing to do with it.

When the cam was replaced did he upgrade it to a larger cam like an LT4 Hotcam, 305 or 306? If he simply swapped a stock cam for a stock cam you got taken for a ride.

Did these problem immediately occur after you picked it up or was it running okay for a while? Did your car overheat?
Old 06-01-2003, 12:31 AM

he just installed new head gaskets witch i supplied... also a cc305 was put in... it was making a little ticking noise before it broke... witch is the same thing it did when it broke a couple weeks ago.... as for the white smoke when he checked it out the head gasket was ok... but since he had to replace the lifters and the cam he did the gaskets too.... i supplied all the parts so i know it wasnt the same crap put back in.... im just completely baffled by this not to mention on the verge of going balistic
Old 06-01-2003, 12:34 AM

Are your heads ported? May be that whomever ported it drilled into a coolant passage.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:36 AM

How are the pushrods?
Old 06-01-2003, 12:39 AM

heads arent ported... and all pushrods were replaced... it ran awesome for 24 hrs... then out of nowhere clunked out again... it drives but sputters horribly.. doesnt over heat.. no ses light... gages are fine....

timing chain and sprockets were also replaced
Old 06-01-2003, 09:35 AM

If you had just a cam job done he did not have to jerk the heads off to do that,, are you sure he took the heads off. If he didn't take the heads off than the original problem may not have been the lifter but may have been a blown head gasket and has never been dealt with.

And if he took the heads off,,, did he get the heads trued up,, even if they looked good as some mechanics take a straight edge I would have them trued up or checked by a machine shop,, aluminum heads tend to warp easy. Also if he took the heads off did he use new head bolts, did he use a good thread sealant (prefer GM).

Two thousand bucks OMG

Dude if you are going to drive an LT1 and want to drive fast than you better learn to work on it yourself. I am not saying you are beating on it but with mods comes heavy right foot and comes breakage, it is just a fact of life with these cars.

Just my $0.02 sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:04 AM

Did the guy give you a warranty on his work. If so get him to fix it for free. Also find a cheaper garage for the future.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:10 PM

Yes he warrented the work.. but he doesnt know it messed up already.. he will find out at 8am tomorrow morning.... It just baffles me at how " what seems as" the same exact thing has happend again.... i dont think my mechanic is a moron but maybe he fixed the wrong thing??? I dont know...