LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SES is on, but I pulled no codes...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 09:17 PM

SES is on, but I pulled no codes...help

Ok, I'm kinda lost here...My buddy is a master mechanic (audi) and I took my car up to the shop so he could check it all out for me...Well, my SES light is on so I had him hook the GM "Tech 2" scan took up to my car and it didn't show it pulling any codes...Now, I just did a 3.4 to LT1 swap, and i'm not sure if he used the V6 or V8 VIN, could this be the problem? I'm running into a couple problems, and this is one I just don't understand. Also, to get the VIN number for the engine, isn't it below the oil pan? Any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2003, 09:28 PM

i dont know anything about the Tech 2.. why didnt you ask your friend if it would make a difference b/c he should know? now it is possible i guess that the Tech 2 will only respond if the VIN on the car matches the VIN in the computer but you cant get the VIN from the computer unless you read the file off and check it. that is just a guess butcha never know.

also i bet autozone could pull any codes you have for free so thats an option.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
i dont know anything about the Tech 2.. why didnt you ask your friend if it would make a difference b/c he should know? now it is possible i guess that the Tech 2 will only respond if the VIN on the car matches the VIN in the computer but you cant get the VIN from the computer unless you read the file off and check it. that is just a guess butcha never know.

also i bet autozone could pull any codes you have for free so thats an option.
Brad,
you can read the VIN without downloading the whole program.
Also, Autozone will not scan codes on the 95 because they only have 94 and 96-97 scanners. The 95 is an OBDI with an OBDII connector and that only confuses them. They try the OBDII scanner and while it hooks up fine, it doesn't read squat. I'm guessing that's the problem this guy is experiencing too....
Old 05-18-2003, 09:33 PM

Oops... just noticed he swapped in a 97... I stand corrected then, Autozone can scan your codes. Just tell them you have a 97....
Old 05-18-2003, 09:35 PM

My LT1 is a '97 (my car/3.4 is a '95)...Now, my PCM is from a '96 SS and my engien harness is from a '96 T/A...Also, the thing I think is going wrong is, when he put in the VIN, I THINK he put in the VIN off of my car which would come up at a 3.4L not a LT1...I don't know what he did, I wasn't watching...Could this be the problem? Also, I've never heard of the Tech 2 either, but its the GM Dealer scan tool...Anybody know what could be going wrong?
Old 05-18-2003, 09:38 PM

Well yea, there's no way he could get a reading if he used the 3.4 VIN. I don't know how the Tech 2 works either, but if it only scans if you enter a VIN number, then my guess is that you'll have to enter the 96 SS' VIN number for this to work.
Just go to Autozone and have them scan it for free. Tell them you have a 96.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:40 PM

hey madwold, could you check out my post about my tranny...I'm having problems with that too (but that was my fault)...Seems like nothing can go right with my car right now
Old 05-18-2003, 09:42 PM

Did you use the 3.4's original 4L60e?
I'm pretty sure they have different control tables than the V8 cars, so that may be a part of your problem...
Old 05-18-2003, 09:52 PM

No, I got a new (well, not NEW, but newer) 4L60E...Also, heres how it all started...When I first took my car off the ramps It wouldn't engage into any gear, so I checked the tranny fluid and it was empty...So I put 2 quarts in it and told myself to make sure to put another 2 quarts in within a day. Well, after I put those two quarts in, it ran fine for 3 days. Well, tonight on my way home all of a sudden it seemed like i was in neutral. I was in overdrive and then all of a sudden the engine was revving to like 6 grand (lol, also, my tach and speedo are off...). Well, when I got home I went and got 2 more quarts and put those in the engine, and it still won't engage in third or fourth...My buddy from Audi says it COULD be a electrical problem, but he said he doughts it...I thought it might be electrical just because it shifts even harder now (out of first) then it did before I put the two more quarts of ATF in (I also think this cause I don't wanna rebuild my tranny )...I planned on taking my tranny out, putting the 3.4 4L60E in, and rebuilding the tranny thats screwed up, then putting the rebuilt tranny in...
Old 05-18-2003, 09:55 PM

What year car and make/model was it out of?
Old 05-18-2003, 10:16 PM

EVERYTHING that was from the 3.4L was a 1995 Camaro.
The LT1/4L60E was from a 1997 Z28 (pretty sure it was a Z)

The engine/entire drivetrain I'm using now is from a 1997 Z28 (and some parts like PCM and engine harness are from 1996 SS's and T/A's)...
Old 05-18-2003, 10:23 PM

Hmmm... was the 96 SS an A4 car?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:30 PM

madwolf, the engine harness, pcm and tranny itself must be ALL M6 OR A4 to work (u know that...i didn't want it to seem like i was trying to say ur stupid, cause thats not what i was trying to say). the pcm, engine harness and tranny came from an A4 car...Do you guys think I need a rebuild, or do you think that it COULD be electrical problems? I'm hoping the harness just came loose down by the exhaust...I thought it was weird how solid it shifted out of first...I figured it should be really sloppy if I truly did lose third and fourth. I'm just kinda hoping for the best right now cause i already owe enough on this thing.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:34 PM

Yes, I do know that and that is why I asked. You'd be surprised how some people will swap things without even thinking....

Anyway, I'd recommend scanning that code soon. It might tell you something related to your problem. (if it was a wiring problem or whatever)
Old 05-19-2003, 08:40 AM

i was talking to a guy earlier today, and he said that all i need is a valve and a solenoid, and i can get my third and fourth gears back. is this true? also, what valves/solenoids do i need? would it be cheaper to get those or just a rebuild kit?

Quick Reply: SES is on, but I pulled no codes...help