LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

ses issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 PM

ses issue

this just started so i havent gotten a chance to get it scanned yet since it happened after all the shops and auto parts places are closed now.

first off its a 1995 trans am a4, no real mods to speak of. just passed 80k miles.

on start up i dont get the light at all. the first time it happened earlier i jumped in and ran around the corner to the gas station and no ses light. i left the car running while i ran in to the gas station. when i came out though i noticed that it had popped on. drove it home and it still seems to drive fine. car was running for maybe a total of 10 minutes max in this time.

so i just went back out to check it out again (freezing my nuts off in the process lol) started the car and let it idle up to temp. once it warmed up a bit (id say maybe 5 minutes or so) the light popped on. the fans also kicked on at about the same time but i dont know if that is just coincedence or not, ill have to try again in a bit to see.

my first thought is o2 sensors. if i remember right the o2's go into closed loop once the car reaches operating temp correct? so a few minutes of idling would get it there. so could this be it or does anyone else have any ideas? i dont know right now but i cant get it looked at until later on tommorrow and its going to bug the hell out of me.

sorry for the long windedness, but i know i hate trying to help people out on forums when they give squat for info as to what is going on so when i have a issue i try to be descriptive.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Not much point in guessing... get it scanned. You may have an issue with getting it scanned, if your local auto parts stores are not familiar with the fact the 95's have an OBD-I PCM, but a 16-pin OBD-II style ALDL connector. If they don't have the correct adapter plug for their OBD-I scanner, they will need to do thuis (courtesy of Shoeox):

http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg

When they give you the EXACT numerical code, check it out on Shoebox's LT1-specific code list:

http://shbox.com/1/Dtcs.htm
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 AM

the guy i usually have do scans for me has the correct connector and if i cant get ahold of him a buddy has one as well. just **** poor timing late at night for it to happen lol. id rather it being something easier to get to than the o2's. my first experience with them when i first got the car years ago made me want to smash my face into a wall haha.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:49 AM

Regarding the fans coming on, when the SES comes on, so do the fans.