LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Shaft mount, on the street

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96ZCamaro
I was curious. But with shaft mounts on a solid roller cam set up. Do you need to ajust the valves still? And if so how do you exactly do that with a shaft mount set up? Might be dumb question but I dont know much about them either and am interesting in knowing more.
I found a deal online to adjust valves that was SUPER simple. Put the engine on TDC#1, adjust 1/2 of the valves, rotate 360* adjust the other 1/2. Worked pretty good for me.

DOnt have to adjust that much, I would say every 3000 miles would be ok.

David
Old 11-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I found a deal online to adjust valves that was SUPER simple. Put the engine on TDC#1, adjust 1/2 of the valves, rotate 360* adjust the other 1/2. Worked pretty good for me.

DOnt have to adjust that much, I would say every 3000 miles would be ok.

David
I know how to ajust valves on stud mount. But like how do you do it on shaft mount. Or do you need to...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96ZCamaro
I know how to ajust valves on stud mount. But like how do you do it on shaft mount. Or do you need to...
If you know how to adjust stud mounts on a solid roller cam, shaft mounts are the same. The adjuster is just on top of the pushrod instead of the stud.

David
Old 11-10-2007, 05:40 AM

I think every small block Chevy should have shaft rockers. Shaft rockers are well suited for the street.

Jesel sportsman shaft rockers fit well without modification to the heads.

The bennefits were already stated in this thread. (no guide plates, better leverage, more stable--no flex). There are no disadvantages accept finding valve covers to fit.

I found that ProForm medium-tall valve covers fit with some internal clearancing.

I found that 92-97 Corvette composite valve covers work with removal of the oil baffle wall.

I have an engine build web page with a great amount of photos of Jesel rockers. It's a solid roller motor but hydraulic cams love shaft rockers too.

look mid way down and also at bottom of page

Well stated about also needing to make sure geometry is correct even with the shaft rockers.
Here is a photo of marks on the valve tips where the rockers stand is too high photo link

Here is a photo of marks on the valve tips wehre the rocker stand height is perfect. photo link

The Jesels seem to fit well without having to mill the stud boss. T&D and Crane both required that I mill the stud boss on the heads.

Karl
Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by quickSS
I think every small block Chevy should have shaft rockers. Shaft rockers are well suited for the street.

Jesel sportsman shaft rockers fit well without modification to the heads.

The bennefits were already stated in this thread. (no guide plates, better leverage, more stable--no flex). There are no disadvantages accept finding valve covers to fit.

I found that ProForm medium-tall valve covers fit with some internal clearancing.

I found that 92-97 Corvette composite valve covers work with removal of the oil baffle wall.

I have an engine build web page with a great amount of photos of Jesel rockers. It's a solid roller motor but hydraulic cams love shaft rockers too.

look mid way down and also at bottom of page

Well stated about also needing to make sure geometry is correct even with the shaft rockers.
Here is a photo of marks on the valve tips where the rockers stand is too high photo link

Here is a photo of marks on the valve tips wehre the rocker stand height is perfect. photo link

The Jesels seem to fit well without having to mill the stud boss. T&D and Crane both required that I mill the stud boss on the heads.

Karl
Really good write-up!

I'm running a HD cam (.590 lift) and would like to change to the shaft rockers. I understand Jesel makes one model of shaft rocker that will bolt directly on my AFRs without any machining. However, I'll need some new custom length pushrods. Currently I'm running custon 3/8" pushrods with my Crane RRs, so I'll also have to buy some new pushrods.

WD
Old 11-10-2007, 12:32 PM

At some point next year, I'll likely switch to shafts as well. It wasn't in the budget on this go-around.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:41 PM

I've been looking at these new Crane Pro Series "Quick Lift" shaft mount rockers:

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=techarticle&id=5

The ratios vary through the lift cycle. And no needle bearings. Pretty slick.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
If you know how to adjust stud mounts on a solid roller cam, shaft mounts are the same. The adjuster is just on top of the pushrod instead of the stud.

David
Oh, alright I kinda get it now. Thanks. I am just not familiar with the shaft mounted rockers
Old 11-10-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
I've been looking at these new Crane Pro Series "Quick Lift" shaft mount rockers:

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=techarticle&id=5

The ratios vary through the lift cycle. And no needle bearings. Pretty slick.

those look bitchin'
Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 PM

Location: Windsor, Canada: Home of the FASTEST LT1 & LS1 6 spds :)
i lash my solid roller setup, on SM every 500 miles or so. THat is running the comp lifters. I am running a different lifter now. I also lash them before each time i race. really i am not adjusting all 16 all of the time, rather tweaking them as required.