LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

shift kit??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 06:29 PM

shift kit??

what shift kit should i get or which is the best? what performance and problems if any should i expect from a shift kit???
Old 06-20-2003, 06:40 PM

If you get the B&M shiftkit, DO NOT put the harder shifting components on the 1-2 accumulator, or you will be sorry

I have the B&M works pretty good. Other than that 1-2 shift thing. Feels horrible at part throttle but chirps the drag radials pretty good at WOT.

John
Old 06-20-2003, 06:45 PM

The Trans Go kit is supposed to shift soft at part throttle and chirp good at WOT. Mine shifted pretty hard all the time though, but then again the guys who put it in cut some corners I found out when the guy who built the tranny opened it up.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:52 PM

what performance gains did you guys see??
Old 06-20-2003, 06:53 PM

hmmmmm, I really don't know if you'll see much of a performance gain, if any. They are usually for guys that need to firm up their shifts after a converter install.

John
Old 06-20-2003, 06:57 PM

do i really need a shift kit if i have the factory trans. perform option?
Old 06-20-2003, 06:59 PM

not really until you get a converter. Anyways if you are running street tires it will just make you spin when you hit second gear.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:59 PM

actually I lost performance from the tires spinning so much on gear changes, but damn it sure is fun.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:41 AM

Exactly! You will lose ET from the transmission shifting "too hard" at WOT or any other time. What you want, is a "progressively" firmer shift with more throttle opening, but not to the point of the tires breaking loose (anything more than a "chirp"), during the shift. Remember "hard shifts" do nothing for performance (ET) in the quarter mile. Now, very fast/quick shifts, at WOT can be "benefical" to the longevity of the transmission. If you "lay rubber" between shifts, it had better be from "horsepower" you are making, and not from how hard the (builder) made the transmission shift.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:53 AM

Pro Built Automatics

Don't wanna steal anyones thread or anything but, what have you discovered about the OBD-1 shift problems......I have recently had the fluid changed and now it is hitting rev limiter.....this was about the time I got the tune from brian....I am gonna try the trans go shift kit to try to combat this problem....before the tranny fluid change it was fine and from either the fluid change or the tuning It has caused the 2-3 WOT shift issue....this is on stock stall.....kinda makes me leary on the stall installl...what do you think...I got the trans go origanally to go with the stall so I can feel the shifts but I wanna know what has caused the issues before I put the stall in.....
Old 06-23-2003, 03:25 AM

I installed a TRANS-GO kit with a Police / Taxi performace pagkage as well... my tires won't stop spinning.. it's great unless you don't want them to spin like at the track! My tranny also shifts hard all of the time.. I rebuilt it myself.. so hmmm... But I like it.. I don't think I saw any performance gain but I can light up the tires in 1st, 2nd, and slightly slide them in 3rd (but I also have alot more mods done then just the tranny).
Old 06-23-2003, 03:55 PM

my tires chirp momentarily in 1-2-and 3rd gear with the trans perform on, so does that mean i dont need a shift kit??? another thing is, if i can get one will i need a trans cooler for longer trans life??
Old 06-23-2003, 04:34 PM

trans cooler is a good idea no matter what.
I would go with the shift kit as well cause I think the trans will last longer. It makes the fun factor go up and you will not miss a 6 speed so much.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:31 PM

Damn!! You can run a 13.8 and grab a third. I was running 13.3's, with trans-go shift kit, corvette servo (which you just might want to look into), and had my computer guy firm up my shifts, and I still wasn't grabbing thirds. Anyways, make it shift as hard as you want and get some et streets for the track, you wont spin at all.
Oh yeah, there is a nut when you drop the pan that adjusts your accumulators. You can go up to a full turn and that will make your tranny shift pretty damn hard by itself. Atleast that is what the guy who rebuilt my tranny told me.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:49 PM

whats your current et 95ta?? whats better for my setup to get into mid to low 13's, longtubes or gears??

Quick Reply: shift kit??