LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Shorty headers, installation ease?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 08:11 PM

Shorty headers, installation ease?

ok well it looks to me that i will be installing the headers my self and i was wondering which ones might bring the most power... and which ones might be the easiest to install... ive heard some require jacking the motor up

so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me

my friend has the edelbrocks... but it seems many people dont like them, they sound great! but they seem to perform the same as stock.

im considering the Edelbrocks tubular the SLP shorties the hooker shorties
and if anyone else knows any other 50 state smog legal ones please let me know.

and while we are on the topic what should i expect each one to cost?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:18 PM

You know this is going to start a header 'fight'...

Why did you go with shorties?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by FacelessZ
You know this is going to start a header 'fight'...

Why did you go with shorties?
i chose shorties cause they are the only smog legal ones i know of any one know of long tubes or mids that are 50 state legal let me know

and i dont mind starting a fight because knowldege comes out...
Old 02-02-2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by NewbieWar
i chose shorties cause they are the only smog legal ones i know of any one know of long tubes or mids that are 50 state legal let me know

and i dont mind starting a fight because knowldege comes out...

Insightful...
Old 02-02-2004, 08:59 PM

Shorties HAVE shown to improve very well over stock. Some see 15-30rwhp. I dont know where you heard that they didnt.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:07 PM

I have SLP single cat shorties. I love them. Me and my friend both have them and we both had to jack up the drivers side of the motor to get them in. They have great gains I love them. I know some people will come in and claim to get LT's but I'm very happy with my SLP's. I actually bought them from Dr. Mudge who had them on his car and dyno'ed 414 rwhp on a stock short block with them. I don't think they restrict power to much.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by jasons93z
Shorties HAVE shown to improve very well over stock. Some see 15-30rwhp. I dont know where you heard that they didnt.
Never said they didn't see gains...just wasnt aware that he had emissions testing...

I would have just put a c.a.r.b. number on a set of mids or LT's and called it a day...
Old 02-02-2004, 09:11 PM

I have Hooker shorties......put the drivers side in from the top after removing the steering linkage. Put the passenger side in from the bottom with no problem.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:14 PM

I bought Hooker shorties from Jet - Hot but after a year and a few months I still haven't installed them. Not sure why but haven't.

The reason I bought shorties, since most will blast you about it, is because I wanted my car to be emissions legal and didn't want to spend $1000 buying a set of emissions legal longtubes so.....the Hooker shorties.

Haven't read too much on them, not many people must have them. I have heard that the collectors need to be cut with a dremel or something because the diameter is actually too small.

Back to my decision to buy shorties. On top of wanting the emissions legality, I also have/had a plan to make the car run mid - high 12's, if it goes faster fine, but the original goal in mind was 12's. The shorties will do that from what i've read with no problem.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:18 PM

$1000 on emissions legal LT's?! Try around $500 new for Jet Hot long tubes with emissions hook ups.....even less for a used set...
Old 02-02-2004, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by FacelessZ
Never said they didn't see gains...just wasnt aware that he had emissions testing...

I would have just put a c.a.r.b. number on a set of mids or LT's and called it a day...
i didnt say you said it, the original poster said it
Old 02-02-2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by jasons93z
i didnt say you said it, the original poster said it
i say that there were little gains on the edelbrocks because my buddy has shown little to no improvement at the track... his sister got 14.0-14.4 w/o the headers and hes got anything from 14.0-14.6 with them. thats why i say that he has shown no gains...

and what mids or longs have c.a.r.b. numbers?

does the ceramic coating do anything?
Old 02-02-2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by NewbieWar

and what mids or longs have c.a.r.b. numbers?

does the ceramic coating do anything?
They don't have carb #'s...you add them if you're crafty...

Coating is a big plus! Run your car for like 2 minutes and feel the immense heat coming off of the headers.....3-4 minutes later they are cool to the touch...

In other words.....less heat in your engine bay = better performance...
Old 02-02-2004, 11:43 PM

Coated Hooker shorties or Edelbrocks will run you about $500. SLPs will cost more. Single cat SLPs with 1 3/4" primaries will make the most power. I have read about quality problems with SLPs, never about Hookers or Edelbrocks. Any headers will give you better breathing at higher rpms.
The install for Hookers or Edelbrocks should be about the same as far as difficulty. On the Hookers the hole in the collector is not as big as the diameter of the y pipe so most people open it up. Not too hard to do. I used my Dremel and went through a bunch of cutting discs.
I put both headers in through the bottom. You will need to remove the oil filter and separate the steering shaft. You will also need to lengthen the wires on the O2 sensors.
Definitely get coated headers. The coating prevents heat transfer into the engine compartment and prevents or at least delays rust. I would also recommend Stage 8 header bolts and quality header gaskets, and it's a good time to replace plugs and wires.
No longtubes are smog legal because they won't accomodate stock placement of the cat.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:06 AM

I've got Edelbrocks

Very easy to put in, awsome pluge access, and the headder to Y-pipe flanges dont leak .

All I had to do was take out the steering shaft.

They seem to do alright

Quick Reply: Shorty headers, installation ease?