LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

should i rebuild???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:24 PM

should i rebuild???

i've spent about $15000 for all the parts on this car...had it put together by a guy and it never worked right from the beginning...the car overheated about 3 times when it had about 400 miles on the rebuilt engine.

the car doesnt put out nearly the power it's supposed to.

once you get to higher rpm's (4500+) the car starts to vibrate pretty badly...

there seems to be oil that ends up "missing" i dont see it from the tail pipe, but always need to add more oil...

by the time i wanted to custom tune the car, i'd run out of cash, so i had a "mail-order" tuning... (i know---not smart).

the car is 355cid 94 LT1 ported and polished heads
11.9:1 compression

pretty good sized cam...don't remember the exact specs.

3000 stall

since i dont know what the hell is going on with the motor, should i just open it up and just re-do all the gaskets???

i've got to do something!!

thanks for reading
Old 08-03-2006, 05:02 PM

Re: should i rebuild???

Well, you certainly have a situation---not unlike many of us who have experienced similar problems.

Since you will never get what out of it what you put into it, you might as well keep it. Meanwhile, if it is your only car, I'd invest in a cheapie pickup for a daily driver----pull the engine and put it on a stand and methodically go through it to make sure everything is the way it should be.

This way, you are not being hurried---you can get help and advice from this site as you go along---you will learn a great deal about the engine---and when you get it all together the way it should be, you should have a decent power plant.

Your option is to mess with it in the car, not knowing what you have to start with and suffering the hell of having to work with it in the car.

The other option would be to put another several grand in it and have someone else to the work (bear in mind that you are just throwing more cash into the endless pit.

The final option is to dump it---realizing that you are throwing everything out----but also getting rid of your problem, since you have already spent the money anyway.JMHO
Old 08-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Well Scottsman, get tough. Build the damn engine yourself and tune it yourself. If the block needs freshening, get it done, make sure your assembly is balanced, and build the damn thing by the book. Learn how the engine management system works, get the software, and get her tuned. Sometimes you can't depend on others, and it seems like this is one of those times. So sink a couple pints of black & tan and make up your mind what to do. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:37 PM

guys, i really appreciate the advice. i'll follow it.

btw way, i tried selling the whole car for 5k and ppl didn't buy it...that was just sad.

it's not my daily driver. i recently bought a truck that's got an 8foot bed, so i can carry stuff around. i have an acura integra for gas mileage.

i'll rebuild it. not sure how long it'll take me, but i'll take everything apart and rebuild it...

i've never rebuild anything.

i'm going to buy a book on how to rebuild the LT1 motor and do it right...

once again, thanks much for giving it to me straight and telling me what i needed to hear.

shokor
Old 08-03-2006, 07:40 PM

NOONE is going to buy a car that doesnt work. even if it's a small problem it's usually the tip of an enormous iceberg. maybe not so in your case...but they dont know you. i'd pull the motor, spend the 200 on a decent stand, break it down and rebuild it. i'm thinking of doing this to mine because i have a knock at low temps that disappears at higher ones. very annoying.

there is a general description in the chilton for these cars...if you can get one old enough. haynes recently bought chilton and they screwed that pooch...very badly. i used to like chilton's for their very descriptive pages...but nothing lasts forever
Old 08-03-2006, 10:55 PM

yeah, i'm actually looking for a chilton as we speak.

lol, i wish there was a "how to re-build your screwed up LT1" instructional video that i could rent at the library!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:53 AM
Banned

The LT1 is the same as a SBC but with reverse flow cooling. Any of the SBC books will do ya.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:58 PM

1racer is right, its really nothing to it if you understand your components and what their functions are, i built a 400 HP SB 327 i've got ready to drop in my 1968 project car, so if you need any major help or get stuck, dont be affraid to PM me and i'll tell you what i can
Old 08-05-2006, 05:42 PM

well, considering that i've never done more on a car than change the spark plugs, i'm guessing that this will be a pretty rough adventure for me.