LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Should the optispark deter me from buying an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:41 PM

Should the optispark deter me from buying an LT1?

I'm considering buying a '95 - '97 Z28 this spring. The question is, should I seriously think twice about this given the headaches with the optispark? Is it that bad? Or, is this not as big of an issue as it seems?

You folks with a '95 - '97 Z28, if you could go back, would you buy your car again?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:02 PM

I have a 93, used to have a 94, not a ton of differences between the early years and later years other then the type of optispark.

People are way too quick to blame the Opti for any problem that arises with these cars.

LT1's are reliable very easy to work on.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:15 PM

Thats why I put an LT4 in my truck. The opti usually lasts for 75-100k miles, just don't go spraying water all over it...9 times out of 10, the failure is from moisture getting in. WP failures would have to be gushing water to kill an opti too, the rear of the wp where the weep hole is is clear of the opti, it would only get on the front and its sealed fairly well on the front part. Water can enter the back side fairly easily however, thats why you don't want to spray water directly at it or above it.
My original opti was replaced only because the bearing made a little noise, still worked fine at 90k miles. The one on my truck has 60k on it now. Just be sure to get a REAL AC Delco, there's a few fakes out there, so get from a GM dealer, there's a few wholesalers for GM products, just go here to get your parts http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#Dal_and_Jason
Old 10-06-2007, 04:19 PM

No opti problems with the 2 LT1's I have had so far. I do have a high RPM miss in my current 95 Firehawk but I think its because I have the original plugs, wires, cap and rotor in it. Its got 53k on the clock right now. Not bad for the originals. Ill be changing those soon to see if it takes care of my miss above 5200 rpm's. So, I would not let the Opti steer me away form the LT1 cars. Not as bad aas people say it is.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:24 PM

My original lasted a little over 100k, and it would still run enough to get me places, but if i stood on it, that's when the miss happened. The replacement is not hard, just a little time consuming, and after you do it once, it only takes 2 hours start to finish.

I'd get another LT1
Old 10-06-2007, 04:41 PM

My stocker has almost 100K on it. As mentioned, when a problem arises with the car, the opti is all too often the first to be blamed when it is not always the case. I would not let it deter you from buying an LT1 altogether. There are also some aftermarket alternatives out there as well for the LT1 ignition system.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:17 PM

I bought my z with a optispark problem.. I just took it to the shop and got it replaced.. Works like a charm now.. I dont see why a optispark would scare you that bad ...
Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 PM

The opti was one of the first things I ever replaced and I by no means am a mechanic or know very much about working on engines. Find good instructions, I recommemend shbox.com , and you can replace your own opti without needing much experience at all.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:09 PM

My original opti currently has a little over 160k on it and I haven't had any issues.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:23 PM

3 things usually make opti's crap. Excessive wear on the ignition terminals (high mileage), spark/arc killing the sensor, or water intrusion.

What I do is seal the opti with silicone. Convert to vented if it's the early style, and tap the water pump weep hole carefully for a fitting and install a drain tube in case of failure so it doesnt crap on the opti. Then I run a delteq to get the spark out of the opti. No problems yet

The opti is in a harsh environment. People dont stop to think to fix the cause of the opti failures, they fix the effect. Then they blame the opti when it goes bad again.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:39 PM

mine has one-twenty k on the clock and i have no issues yet, i am a firm believer that many people are way too quick to blame the opti
Old 10-06-2007, 06:41 PM

Not buying an LT1 because of the opti would be a pretty lame excuse. Opti issues are way over-blown.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Not buying an LT1 because of the opti would be a pretty lame excuse. Opti issues are way over-blown.
Amen to this statement.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 PM

The opti should be replaced as part of a regular tune up, just like most other cars. The problem is that they are expensive, so they are neglected until they are a problem.

I had over 200,000 miles on my original opti when I replaced it. The car still ran fine...it was preventative maintenance.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:35 AM

Exclamation

Just so this doesn't turn into a "why I love my Opti" thread, I need to say that GM only used the Opti for 6 years (92-97) and then ditched it in favor of another design ign system. From my recollection this is one of the shortest runs of any significant engine ign system in GM's history. I am sure GM had their reasons for making the change and based on the run of the next design, GM hasn't looked back with regret.

With all due respect for all the posts above commenting on the longevity of their beloved optis, I feel like I am reading responses to arguments denying harm in tobacco usage. "What problem? My 90 year old gramma smokes a pack of Camels a day and still is alive and healthy."

Having said all that, I agree with the comments above. Even with the questionable design and durability of the now notorious Opti, that is no reason to not buy an LT1 engined vehicle.

But, if I had know about the wailing an gnashing of teeth hassle of changing the plugs and wires, then I might not have ordered my 97.
In the history of automotive design I cannot imagine a more difficult plug and wire change than on an LT1 engine.

Quick Reply: Should the optispark deter me from buying an LT1?