LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Should the optispark deter me from buying an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Don 97 SS
With all due respect for all the posts above commenting on the longevity of their beloved optis, I feel like I am reading responses to arguments denying harm in tobacco usage. "What problem? My 90 year old gramma smokes a pack of Camels a day and still is alive and healthy."
The whole point is that the opti is not that big of a problem, that's all. You only hear the bad things about the opti, but never the good. I think that 200k out of an opti is remarkable.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:56 AM

There are bad stories too unfortunately, I've had to replace mine three times in a 100,000 miles. The first time happened when I was over a thousand miles away from home and I had to get it done by someone that I'm positive ripped me off. But would I have not boughten my Camaro had I known about the opticrap? Hell no, I love it and the strong LT1 that purrs in it. No regrets!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:00 PM

In the history of automotive design I cannot imagine a more difficult plug and wire change than on an LT1 engine.
Heh, we had to unbolt the engine from it's mounts and jack it up from the rear to get to the back 3 plugs on our old V6 taurus... talk about a PITA. LT1's are cake compared to some of the crappy designs people are coming out with these days. But then again they want you to take the vehicle into a dealer/repair shop for service, it makes them money
Old 10-07-2007, 05:12 PM

But, if I had know about the wailing an gnashing of teeth hassle of changing the plugs and wires, then I might not have ordered my 97.
In the history of automotive design I cannot imagine a more difficult plug and wire change than on an LT1 engine.
Originally Posted by Rashiki
Heh, we had to unbolt the engine from it's mounts and jack it up from the rear to get to the back 3 plugs on our old V6 taurus... talk about a PITA. LT1's are cake compared to some of the crappy designs people are coming out with these days. But then again they want you to take the vehicle into a dealer/repair shop for service, it makes them money
Yeah, if you think the LT1 is bad, you have not worked on enough cars.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Yeah, if you think the LT1 is bad, you have not worked on enough cars.
Perhaps I should have added, an LT1 in an F-body. But, really Shoebox, what oem set-up have you worked on that is worse than the plug and wire change on an LT1 f-body? I sure haven't experienced anything even close.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:10 PM

93 z24 . 3.1 v6 front wheel drive .the back 3 suck big floppy donkey (you know) .
Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM

any gm transverse motor takes way more effort then an lt1 to do the plugs and wires
Old 10-07-2007, 06:58 PM

I woulod much rather replace the opti than change plugs and wires.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:53 PM

Sorry, plugs/wires are nothing on this (94) car. even before the headers it wasn't too bad. With the headers it's no worries at all. 45 mins tops.

Buddy asked me to help with his plugs (96 Sable GLS or something) .... OMG... you have to take off the intake to do the back bank. Never again!

Almost any transverse mounted V style motor is going to be WAY worse then any 4th Gen.

As far as the Opti is concerned, unless your WP explodes or you power wash your motor you should be OK. Even driving in really rainy weather hasn't killed it, going on 2 years now. The original only got replaced because I put a new motor in it.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 PM

Perhaps I should have added, an LT1 in an F-body. But, really Shoebox, what oem set-up have you worked on that is worse than the plug and wire change on an LT1 f-body? I sure haven't experienced anything even close.
the ford 4.6's in the trucks are kind of a PITA the first time you do them.
Any of the older v6 taurus' are HORRID
mercedes benz.......never again, not to mention they have 2 plugs per cylinder
Old 10-07-2007, 10:53 PM

I recall a couple of oldies that were pretty tough:

1975 Chevy Monza V8 (people used to say you had to pull the engine to change plugs, lol).

Early 1970s Mustang with V8. There was virtually no room on the sides (kinda like the 4th gens)

...and the transverse V6s. The rear plugs are often an exercise in the blind.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:58 PM

just finished my second opti.my first was fine,my water pump went so I put in a brand new accel optispark 2 it lasted 3 months replaced it with a gm they definlety get easier the more you do I pulled off my Y pipe and did plugs and wires it was easy I did 2 plugs behind the a/c comp. when I changed it out.lots of cars suck to work on but at least when i'm done working on my Z I have big grin when I go out for a test drive. not like some v6 front wheel drive turd box

Last edited by 95ZDOG; 10-07-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:37 AM

not buying a car because of the opti is pretty bad i love my lt1 i saved about 10K buying an lt1 instead of an ls1 and it still looks wicked to me not buying it because it has an opti is like not buying an ls1 because its got a cpc setup
Old 10-08-2007, 02:49 AM

not at all man. Get yourself a delteq or msd opti, bolt it on and forget about it. The optispark is not a bad design when you compare it in it's day and age to other distributors. Yes coilpacks are the better way to go, but if that's the only thing stopping you go with the delteq. You will still need to run the opti as a bypass, but that's all the opti will be, a bypass.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:56 AM

i have a monza and a lt-1, id rather change plugs in the monza!!!but nothing a set of headers wouldnt fix.

Quick Reply: Should the optispark deter me from buying an LT1?