LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Sick of the floptispark switching to new ignition system

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 PM

Sick of the floptispark switching to new ignition system

http://youtu.be/525PwsMyg-8

The link is the video of my car finally up and runnin after dealing with yet another bad opti and it was only a week before the the car broke down again. I've ruled out a fuel problem seeing as though I have pressure at the rail with the key turned forward so I know it has something to do with the ignition system. I'm so fed up with this system I've been looking into either the 24x LS conversion, go custom and do an old school style distributor, or a complete standalone system with coil packs. I dont want to spend more than $800 so I'm leaning more towards the old school distributor I dont know but I'm pretty handy when it comes to modifications and fabrication plus I'll have some help so making something new wouldn't be out of the question. Any suggestions or advice on getting rid of the floptispark system?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:38 AM

Re: Sick of the floptispark switching to new ignition system

What brand opti are you using?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:58 AM

man i have been looking for a cheaper solution for years sick and tired of the opti crapping out on my at the wrong times... note the one thing that has helped it last longer it that i run a delteq system .... it helps allot becasue i don't need to run additional msd box and spark through the optispark but every two years i have to replace the unit for some reason... (note i have tried the gm and aftermarkets units and they all break down about the same time with heavy use or in the summer months where it sees allot of heat and moisture) so i am all ears also if there is something better out there or any ideas becasue i am not going to spend 2400.00 for the 24x system just for an ignition system.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
What brand opti are you using?
Right now I'm using a rich porter brand I've had 2 delco's 1 accel just got rid of the msd billet one and now onto my 2nd rich porter, I've been through enough to understand that any brand can and will go out under the right circumstances.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by siguy
man i have been looking for a cheaper solution for years sick and tired of the opti crapping out on my at the wrong times... note the one thing that has helped it last longer it that i run a delteq system .... it helps allot becasue i don't need to run additional msd box and spark through the optispark but every two years i have to replace the unit for some reason... (note i have tried the gm and aftermarkets units and they all break down about the same time with heavy use or in the summer months where it sees allot of heat and moisture) so i am all ears also if there is something better out there or any ideas becasue i am not going to spend 2400.00 for the 24x system just for an ignition system.
Well then I guess were in the same boat in wanting a more affordable solution, I would run the delteq setup if it actually got rid of the opti I don't want that P.O.S. anywhere near my car anymore "everytime feels like the first and the first felt like the worst"
Old 08-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Administrator

What fails in your opti?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What fails in your opti?
The first couple times it was the optical sensor, had too much moisture inside. I had a guy install one wrong and it damaged the rotor, one of the msd billet ones came faulty out of the box and the other msd had a funny looking green buildup on the firing points inside the cap. The last couple I didn't even check to see what actually went wrong I just replaced them at this point my patience is growing very thin the only thing that matters now is that it doesn't work. I'm thinking about maybe getting something like a Holley standalone computer and harness and an HEI distributor.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:00 PM

What model year is the car? 1996?

If moisture is collecting in the opti enough to screw up the optical sensor, then something is\was faulty with the vent system. Under normal circumstances(in a vented opti), there should not ever be enough moisture in it to kill it. Are you doing something to get moisture in it? Like power washing the engine?

Something is either wrong with the installs, the quality of the units, or some other abnormal circumstance to blow through them like that.

The MSD faulty out of the box is nothing new. When buying an opti, anything other than an AC Delco unit is asking for nothing but trouble.

In over 13 years I've never had one fail on me. I've had two(OEM one from GM and what I have on my LT1 now(AC Delco unit)). I changed the original out as a PM measure when I installed the CC503(it still works no problem). So something has to be amiss.

Last edited by ACE1252; 08-17-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
What model year is the car? 1996?

If moisture is collecting in the opti enough to screw up the optical sensor, then something is\was faulty with the vent system. Under normal circumstances(in a vented opti), there should not ever be enough moisture in it to kill it. Are you doing something to get moisture in it? Like power washing the engine?

Something is either wrong with the installs, the quality of the units, or some other abnormal circumstance to blow through them like that.

The MSD faulty out of the box is nothing new. When buying an opti, anything other than an AC Delco unit is asking for nothing but trouble.

In over 13 years I've never had one fail on me. I've had two(OEM one from GM and what I have on my LT1 now(AC Delco unit)). I changed the original out as a PM measure when I installed the CC503(it still works no problem). So something has to be amiss.
You're absolutely right about the optical sensor, I went through a car wash that had the undercarriage spray. Did that 2 times and both times ended up with the same results.and the others were either bad installs or DOA but either way im tired of being stranded at random times. Overall the entire ignition system just isnt as reliable as other systems out there, I personally know way too many people who either sold their LT or swapped to a LS just because of the opti. Although you've never had any problems there are too many that have had numerous problems just not worth it when there are other alternatives. I would really like to know who thought it would be a great idea to put the distributor underneath the water pump
Old 08-18-2011, 03:29 PM

I just wish there was something simple that i can put in the place of the opti to run my delteq system or a set of coil packs.
I am shocked after all these years that nobody has come up with a simpler cheaper solution to satisfying the pcm and to be able to run a set of coil packs....

the 24x unit looks great and i bet preforms like a champ but at close to 2400.00 (this is the completely set up) Its kinda hard to justify spending that much money on a ignition system plus have to spend the time to retune my car.

I have also seen the nice set up on Fred's car with the ltcc set up (and trigger wheel) but i believe he runs
Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by siguy
I just wish there was something simple that i can put in the place of the opti to run my delteq system or a set of coil packs.
I am shocked after all these years that nobody has come up with a simpler cheaper solution to satisfying the pcm and to be able to run a set of coil packs....

the 24x unit looks great and i bet preforms like a champ but at close to 2400.00 (this is the completely set up) Its kinda hard to justify spending that much money on a ignition system plus have to spend the time to retune my car.

I have also seen the nice set up on Fred's car with the ltcc set up (and trigger wheel) but i believe he runs
Look at the Bailey LTCC. Yes, requires the Opti cam position sensor, but you know I've been running mine for 11 years, and George made 1,125HP turning 8,000RPM with the Opti cam position sensor. We both used the Opti, without running the spark through it, And we both did that before the LTCC existed, so we have a bundle tied up in the MoTeC ECU and their 8-channel ignition driver. But it just seems that taking the high voltage function out of the Opti makes the cam position sensor very reliable.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...ne/Coils01.jpg
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 PM

Look at the Bailey LTCC. Yes, requires the Opti cam position sensor, but you know I've been running mine for 11 years, and George made 1,125HP turning 8,000RPM with the Opti cam position sensor. We both used the Opti, without running the spark through it, And we both did that before the LTCC existed, so we have a bundle tied up in the MoTeC ECU and their 8-channel ignition driver. But it just seems that taking the high voltage function out of the Opti makes the cam position sensor very reliable.

Hi Fred i think we talked in person about this when i pick up the 6 speed from your house.

I don't remember but, you still use the opti cam sensors ... which is that High or low res? to set of your coils off?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:03 PM

Might have to look into that, one thing I thought about was using the delteq or ltcc system but instead of using the opti for the cam position I would use the cam position sensor and opti delete plate from the 24x system it would be alot cheaper than buying their whole system and completely deletes the opti.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:50 AM

Not much point really. The cam sensor in the opti will last a long time once you remove the high voltage from the opti. My last replacement is going on 10 years now running the LTCC.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:03 PM

So if I switch to the LTCC would I still be able to use the stock pcm or would it be better to go aftermarket? I'm pretty sure this setup is capable of pushing past 700 to the wheels and a couple people have suggested that I go with a standalone system just because with the higher power levels it'll be much easier to tune.

Quick Reply: Sick of the floptispark switching to new ignition system