LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Sick of the floptispark switching to new ignition system

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 04:53 AM

Re: Sick of the floptispark switching to new ignition system

The stock PCM shouldn't have an issue with that setup. Try doing some searches here and on LS1tech for 2 bar SD setups on the stock PCM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:44 PM

OK thanks! I already have a 2 bar map sensor that I bought after talking to Solomon about a speed density tune but he also said it would be a bit harder to tune. Anyway I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the LTCC system. Once again thanks guys for the help!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
What model year is the car? 1996?

If moisture is collecting in the opti enough to screw up the optical sensor, then something is\was faulty with the vent system. Under normal circumstances(in a vented opti), there should not ever be enough moisture in it to kill it. Are you doing something to get moisture in it? Like power washing the engine?

Something is either wrong with the installs, the quality of the units, or some other abnormal circumstance to blow through them like that.

The MSD faulty out of the box is nothing new. When buying an opti, anything other than an AC Delco unit is asking for nothing but trouble.

In over 13 years I've never had one fail on me. I've had two(OEM one from GM and what I have on my LT1 now(AC Delco unit)). I changed the original out as a PM measure when I installed the CC503(it still works no problem). So something has to be amiss.
As someone who's had success with their opti (after replacing a bad oe opti w a vented acdelco opti), I am 100% with these comments.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM

The 24x setup when you think about it isnt that expensive if you buy your parts used and make up your own coil brackets and misc stuff. The harness isnt that hard to rework as alot of is just repinning and taking the old and unwanted stuff out. You can clean up alot of your harness by doing it this way too. I just bought a used 24x kit for 800 which included everything but the timing cover. How much does a good delco opti cost? Depending where you find them can fetch up to $450 new. By the time you go through all the bull**** to re and re atleast one opti you wish you wouldve just spent the money and did the 24x swap. Yeah its a bit of money up from but sure will save you time, money, and grief down the road. The gains from going to the LS PCM in itself is worth the extra money too. Way faster PCM, much easier to tune, more tunning options, run smoother, reliable, makes more power, and likely better mileage! So what im trying to say is that if you are like me and have trouble shooted all of your issues and still have problems its still cheaper to do this then sell your car or part to go LS car to avoid the bull**** ignition problems.

Ill have my 24x setup in next spring or untill something ****s up in the meantime with my new current delco opti. Ill posts pics of progress and the outcome.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
Not much point really. The cam sensor in the opti will last a long time once you remove the high voltage from the opti. My last replacement is going on 10 years now running the LTCC.
I was counting on mine lasting that long, but 2 years later my Delco unit is failing. While removing the high voltage from the opti may help keep a good cap and rotor, it does crap for helping the optical sensor last. My car started missing in the midrange a month ago, and sure enough code 16. Lasted 8k miles and 2 years, going to try a used opti at this point because i'm not dropping $350 on a new one to last that short amount of time.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by onefastmx5
I was counting on mine lasting that long, but 2 years later my Delco unit is failing. While removing the high voltage from the opti may help keep a good cap and rotor, it does crap for helping the optical sensor last. My car started missing in the midrange a month ago, and sure enough code 16. Lasted 8k miles and 2 years, going to try a used opti at this point because i'm not dropping $350 on a new one to last that short amount of time.
This is what makes me unsure about going the LTCC route. Although 8k miles is alot better than the 1k since my latest motor swap. I was all set and ready to order the box and now I dont know what to do
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 PM

The LTCC has its pros and cons. It does have a 2step built in that I still have yet to try, or you can use the NOS timing retard. Also, has a easy to set rev limiter. Eliminates the high output of the opti, and makes for clean plug wire/coil setup. Eliminates the singe coil and ignition module.

However, the only con (and its a biggie) is that you have to keep the stupid opti. Really wish they would offer a sensor to replace the opti, then it would be awesome.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 PM

The LTCC has its pros and cons. It does have a 2step built in that I still have yet to try, or you can use the NOS timing retard. Also, has a easy to set rev limiter. Eliminates the high output of the opti, and makes for clean plug wire/coil setup. Eliminates the singe coil and ignition module.

However, the only con (and its a biggie) is that you have to keep the stupid opti. Really wish they would offer a sensor to replace the opti, then it would be awesome.
SOOOO... To make this system really sweet it would make sense to get the opti delete plate/cam sensor from the 24x kit right? Just in case you dont know what I'm talking about I mentioned it earlier in this thread, in the 24x kit theres a plate that covers the area where the opti would be that also has a cam sensor on the front of it which also needs the cam reluctor wheel inside the timing cover. It's sold separate and I believe the connector is a 4 wire which can be modified to replace the opti connector. That would totally delete the opti and have it run on coil packs. Right?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
The 24x setup when you think about it isnt that expensive if you buy your parts used and make up your own coil brackets and misc stuff. The harness isnt that hard to rework as alot of is just repinning and taking the old and unwanted stuff out. You can clean up alot of your harness by doing it this way too. I just bought a used 24x kit for 800 which included everything but the timing cover. How much does a good delco opti cost? Depending where you find them can fetch up to $450 new. By the time you go through all the bull**** to re and re atleast one opti you wish you wouldve just spent the money and did the 24x swap. Yeah its a bit of money up from but sure will save you time, money, and grief down the road. The gains from going to the LS PCM in itself is worth the extra money too. Way faster PCM, much easier to tune, more tunning options, run smoother, reliable, makes more power, and likely better mileage! So what im trying to say is that if you are like me and have trouble shooted all of your issues and still have problems its still cheaper to do this then sell your car or part to go LS car to avoid the bull**** ignition problems.

Ill have my 24x setup in next spring or untill something ****s up in the meantime with my new current delco opti. Ill posts pics of progress and the outcome.
yes i have looked at it but no matter which way i slice it it costs about 1200.00 on the cheap end plus anther 250-350 on tuning etc. so its really not a cheap solution..
Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by lymlyt96
SOOOO... To make this system really sweet it would make sense to get the opti delete plate/cam sensor from the 24x kit right? Just in case you dont know what I'm talking about I mentioned it earlier in this thread, in the 24x kit theres a plate that covers the area where the opti would be that also has a cam sensor on the front of it which also needs the cam reluctor wheel inside the timing cover. It's sold separate and I believe the connector is a 4 wire which can be modified to replace the opti connector. That would totally delete the opti and have it run on coil packs. Right?
Now if Bailey sold something like this with the LTCC, I think it would be more popular. I'm seeing $525 for this separatly, is that correct?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Now if Bailey sold something like this with the LTCC, I think it would be more popular. I'm seeing $525 for this separatly, is that correct?
Separately the lt1 cam reluctor and housing is $220 which would bring the total price for another opti-less solution down to around $900 if you can find a set of used coils and coil harness for under $200 and that shouldn't be hard to do.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:30 AM

The LTCC doesn't use stock coil harnesses. The box has its own harness which plugs into each coil unless Bob has changed something recently.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
The LTCC doesn't use stock coil harnesses. The box has its own harness which plugs into each coil unless Bob has changed something recently.
oh..... ok well thats one less thing to buy
Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 AM

Do not go with the ltcc. I went with the 24x ignition and it coast me 525 + 100 to repin the harness myself then the coils and wires I got for 200; So I did the swap for 825. But Now I am doing a dyno tune for 500, so when it is all said and done I am at 1325; but the car is going to run better, cleaner, better mpg, better high rpm, a lot better tuning capability, oh and no more opticrap. The 24x is the way to go.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by henryz28
Do not go with the ltcc. I went with the 24x ignition and it coast me 525 + 100 to repin the harness myself then the coils and wires I got for 200; So I did the swap for 825. But Now I am doing a dyno tune for 500, so when it is all said and done I am at 1325; but the car is going to run better, cleaner, better mpg, better high rpm, a lot better tuning capability, oh and no more opticrap. The 24x is the way to go.
I found a good deal locally for the coils and harness so it looks like I'll be going with the 24x system for around $900 not including wires and the tune which will cost me $250, all in all not that bad.

Quick Reply: Sick of the floptispark switching to new ignition system