LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Single Plane for LT4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Single Plane for LT4 ?

Right now I have a GMPP dual plane carbed intake for my 383 LT4. It has AFR LT4 heads, all forged internals, Holly 4150 style carb & MSD ignition, etc. I know a lot will probably say its a waste to have converted it over but its done anyways.

Now I am looking for a single plane setup. I know there is not a direct bolt on intake but heard about the Super Vic and Vic Jr.s being converted over. Is there anyone out there that will do this, like any web site info? What part number for the intake will I need? Some places I read said all have to do is drill & tap wit the right intake, this true?

Any help or ihnfo is greatly apprectiated. Wanna switch over to a single plane asap for the summer racing series coming up. Did search but couldnt find much like intake part numbers.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

bret@bauer-racing.com
Old 06-17-2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
Thanks. Email sent out to him.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 AM

It's not an easy swap. Any good engine builder could do it for you though. It requires the ability to use measuring tools, accuate machining and minor fabrication skills. If you are contemplating a DIY, you shouldn't even consider it unless you can figure it out for yourself.

Rich
Old 06-18-2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
It's not an easy swap. Any good engine builder could do it for you though. It requires the ability to use measuring tools, accuate machining and minor fabrication skills. If you are contemplating a DIY, you shouldn't even consider it unless you can figure it out for yourself.

Rich
Im pretty sure I could do it myself. I built my racecar and a couple other cars from scratch by myslef (back half, cage, built the engine form a short block, then switched it from EFI to Carb, etc.)..... I just didnt want to mess with it and thought there might be someone or something out there that could just buy & bolt on so wouldnt have to deal with fabbing it up or building a sheetmetal intake myself. I do have a couple other leads as well, thanks for all the PM's that have been sent.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

Contact

Intakeelbows.com

He can do it.

David
Old 06-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Contrary to some opinions its not an expensive ordeal either. I bough mine complete but most places that did it would only charge about 3-400 to do the intake.

If you are going to run converted SBC heads you can run a Vic-E off the shelf that already ahs the injector bungs in it.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

The conversion can be cheap IF you don't care what it looks like. If you want something that doesn't look like a drunk handicaped guy with a drill press did it, then it's another story. Beyond that the intakes need porting. To me it seems dumb to take ported heads and put a intake on them that chokes them off, almost every single plane intake on the market other than a very few rare intakes need porting out of the box to perform.

Bret
Old 06-21-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
The conversion can be cheap IF you don't care what it looks like. If you want something that doesn't look like a drunk handicaped guy with a drill press did it, then it's another story. Beyond that the intakes need porting. To me it seems dumb to take ported heads and put a intake on them that chokes them off, almost every single plane intake on the market other than a very few rare intakes need porting out of the box to perform.

Bret
I AM a drunk, handicapped guy with a drill press and my modified components both look and perform well.
Your hurt my feelings, I'm scarred for life.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:48 PM

pretty doesn't mean its gonna work better...or in some cases even as good as one that may not be as pretty but is done the way it should be.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce

Bret
I found out that an intake out of the box....takes alot of work to get it right......Its just a starting point.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 PM

we found on a flow bench that an out of the box intake with a simple port match flowed better than my welded/fully ported lt4. Peak numbers were close but mid range the single plane smoked it.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95Bird
we found on a flow bench that an out of the box intake with a simple port match flowed better than my welded/fully ported lt4. Peak numbers were close but mid range the single plane smoked it.
I'm sure it did, we have had a few new combos go in cars this year, all very similar, 434 SBC..brodix heads, AFD intake and very little work on the intake made huge gains.

Before that I had no idea, I thought a good single plain was great out of the box but it has more in it
Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chief455
I AM a drunk, handicapped guy with a drill press and my modified components both look and perform well.
Your hurt my feelings, I'm scarred for life.
No I just have seen too much "professional" stuff that looks and fits like ****.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
I'm sure it did, we have had a few new combos go in cars this year, all very similar, 434 SBC..brodix heads, AFD intake and very little work on the intake made huge gains.

Before that I had no idea, I thought a good single plain was great out of the box but it has more in it

well I'm not saying I left it stock..lol. My intake was done my larry meaux. I'm just saying that they are pretty descent out of the box seeing that it outperformed my fully worked lt4. but yea..there were some nice gains to be had with working the single plane

Quick Reply: Single Plane for LT4 ?