LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Single Plane project finally completed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:03 PM

Actually there is LESS fine tuning with that over the stock ECU. The ONLY advantage to a aftermarket ECU on a NA LT1 is the additional RPM range for the fuel and timing curves.

Is the swap worth it without the capability to go above 7k?
I would take that as a no
Old 11-06-2006, 11:10 PM

Well, let me be more clear. What I mean is, is the swap to the single plane intake worth it if you only have 7k because of the stock ECU. In other words, is the rpm range out of the OBD1 domain with the single plane.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:30 PM

I think so, which is why mine is in the works already. I believe the biggest gains will come way below 7K due to the longer runners. So even if you're shifting at/slightly below 7K your average HP/Torque will be increased even more than the peak numbers went up. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 AM

The Super Vic can be done to work nice from 2500-6500 Pretty darn well from what I have seen. You guys need to look at the Engine master challege a few years ago where Joe Sherman did a motor. Bret told me about it and its a eye opener, but take a look at the cam though, thats what is impressive. Shows what you can do with a nice heads and intake combo.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:09 AM

Yep. The longer runners and extra flow really help out alot. That and not having to make a 90 degree turn at every port to enter the cylinder head...I'm sure bret could like like a dozen more reasons. That's also why I am doing it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the super vic also have more plenum area than the LT1 (which may be why it works better than the jr)?

As soon as I can find a place around here to get a money order, I'll be doing the cam to match as well.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

Yep, runner length is the key and it does work well to prop up the TQ curve. I've never seen 355 LT1's make over 500 ft lbs of TQ but a SBC with a single plane can do that.

The other thing is distribution. Even if you have individual EGT sensors in each header primary getting them dialed in with a LT manifold is close to impossible. That intake just hates to even everything out without lots of computer screwing around. Even guys who have done this have issues.

A good single plane doesn't have a lean back half of the motor down, and with a elbow setup you have about the same volume, but it's in a better place since the volume that is there actually feeds the cylinders that need the air. That's the optimum of what you want, the smallest plenum to feed everything effectively, especially with something that does 3 shifts in a 1/4 mile.

Bret
Old 11-07-2006, 02:30 PM

I love the looks of that setup!!! How much did you gain with it? Did you have the factory LT1 intake to start with? They say the LT1 intake is the limiting factor of the LT1 but I haven’t seen any dyno #s of any thing better. It looks like you spent some big bucks on that conversion was it worth the money? If Thunder Racing did the job they must of dynoed it. A lot of us out there have spent and thrown a lot of money away on promises. I little proof goes a long way in my wallet.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Banned

Ron's setup wasn't cheap... he probably did every little extra thing. I don't think he has put it on the dyno yet.

Bret
Old 11-07-2006, 02:42 PM

A buddy of mine picked up .3 and 3 mph going to a single plane on his LT1. Then again, he had the stock 48 mm TB, much worse weather, and not enough battery voltage to run his fuel pump therefore causing it to fall on its face when he ran it with the LT1 intake. So I guess it didnt really pick up anything on his application.

Also, I always thought that with a longer runner, it jumps up torque in the low to mid range, but power generally falls off in comparison to a short runner intake in the upper RPM's. At least in Mustang land it does.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:56 PM

Also, I always thought that with a longer runner, it jumps up torque in the low to mid range, but power generally falls off in comparison to a short runner intake in the upper RPM's. At least in Mustang land it does.
I think that is generally true, but we won't see that point using stock PCM below 7000. Look at the Accel Superram 15 inch runners which tend to die out at around 6000 RPM. The LT1 intake needs to be reved to like 8000 RPM to be taken advantage of and even then i see guys run 6inch runners on those applications over the LT1's 3inchs.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:03 PM

Nice. I always wanted to try a single plane intake since the LT1 intake a restriction around 450 RWHP and beyond. I guess it just wasnt the right piece in my buddy's application.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:17 PM

I don't know about the restriction around 450rwhp. Dragbear claims he dynos over 500hp with an unported factory LT1 intake. I think it is posted on Ai's site at 519hp sae. When I talked to Phil he said that with the 58mm, no mass air or air cleaner he is showing allmost no change in map readings even at the higher rpms. And don't forget I think that is with a 383

I was just talking to phill and I was wrong about the map readings on Dragbears motor. He didn't record a baseline with the motor not running. The only recording he showed was from 4900 to 7200rpm and the map was dead flat.

Sorry guys

Last edited by LT1Max; 11-07-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by T/A KID
I think that is generally true, but we won't see that point using stock PCM below 7000. Look at the Accel Superram 15 inch runners which tend to die out at around 6000 RPM. The LT1 intake needs to be reved to like 8000 RPM to be taken advantage of and even then i see guys run 6inch runners on those applications over the LT1's 3inchs.
dont forget about the port cross section size.
length wise, an LT1 intake port might want to see alot of rpm, but the small cross section wont support it very well.
i have an unported accel pro-ram single plane intake. the ports are not very big and match up quite nicely on my mildly ported LT1 heads.
i do feel like this setup picked me up a little bit, but i mostly did the swap to aleviate plumbing issues, throttle cable issues, and nitrous issues.

Last edited by Jerm93z28; 11-07-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:58 PM

I have heard in the past that its a bastard to tune out the tip in hesitation with the single plane / elbow setup and the stock ECU. Has anyone with this setup made any substantial finds as to what the problem is? Im seriously considering a setup like this but it loses value if im gonna have to buy a stand alone to make it livable.

Steve
Old 11-07-2006, 07:47 PM

The 90mm Tb's were haveing Tip in problems and were basically impossible to get teh AFR correct.
If I was to do it again I would just use the intakelbow's peice so I could retain a lot of the factory parts and just use a Monoblade or 58 TB. No problems with that setup

Quick Reply: Single Plane project finally completed...