LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Slave cylinder or clutch going bad???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 02:32 PM

Question Slave cylinder or clutch going bad???

I'm having transmission problems & want to know how to differentiate between clutch problems and actuator (slave) cylinder problems. I don't want to pull my transmission if the problem lies in my master cylinder or slave cylinder. Are there any good tests that I can do to isolate the two "systems"?
Old 12-05-2002, 02:46 PM

need more info. like are you grinding gears. is the input shaft still turning with the clutch pushed in and in nuetral. are yo u grinding all the gears or just one.

to my knowledge there is no way to be able to tell between the two. if its a bad clutch and youve broke springs in the clutch and they got hung in the pp the clutch wont fully disengage. and if the slave or master cylinder are bad (or are going bad) you will get the same symtoms.

need more info.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:39 AM

The input shaft does not turn with the clutch pushed in & in neutral. I'm not grinding gears either. There is a whinning noise coming from the transmission when I'm driving & it gets lower in volume when I push in the clutch pedal & the noise gets even lower when I switch into neutral. Actually, it practically disappears when in neutral & coasting. I drove the car for the first time yesterday since it was being so stubborn about going into gear, & yesterday it wasn't difficult to put it into any gear, just the whinning noise yesterday. I guess I should try driving it a little more to further analyze what's going on, but I don't want to cause any more damage than I already have?? The first time I had problems, it was being stubborn shifting into most all the gears. I would have to drive it some more to get more info.

Also, do you know why my thread has an envelope with a dot on it? Just curious.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:04 PM

possible answer to your question

I recently had issues with my car not wanting to go into gear very smoothly. I replaced the slave assembly and it helped a bit, but I figured out the real issue the hard way. One day the clutch just wouldn't go in anymore, and it completely locked up. Once I pulled it all apart I saw that the PIVOT screw had backed out for the engagment fork. I locktited it all and was getting ready to slide the fork back into place when I noticed that it was very sloppy. I also noticed a very small piece of what looked like spring steel inside the bell housing. I traced the piece back to the fork ! On the fork there are two pieces of spring stell to hold the fork in place. if one of these is broken off, you will feel the car wanting to fight you when you put it into 1st gear, and reverse. If this is the case, it was probly caused by the fork pivot screw backing out, and the other piece of spring will fail soon and cause major issues. I had to but a whole new fork "$70" or something like that since the spring was not replaceable.

Good luck. and I hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:21 PM

that also happen to me.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:33 PM

My car is having trouble going into 1st and reverse right now. It doesn't grind just doesn't go into gear sometimes. I guess I am going to look at that PIVOT screw.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Question

Can someone talk a little more about this spring piece that goes on the fork? I have had my tranny out twice now and never seen the spring on the fork. I have never taken the fork off though, I just pull it back against the retainer spring on the pivot to pull it away from the TO bearing.

Does this spring go on the end of the fork that presses on the throwout bearing?
Old 12-06-2002, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I reread this thread, and I guess I need a picture of what one is supposed to look like so I can tell if mine is screwed up or not.

Shoebox?
Old 12-06-2002, 01:58 PM

It is essentially a retainer spring, but it is part of the FORK. It doesn't look like a SPRING of sorts as in spiral, but it is a flat peice of spring steel with the 2 ends bent in an L shape. When you pull the fork to pop it out of place to take the tranny out, the spring is what holds it in place. I am holding the broken fork right here, wish I had a digital camera and I could show you exactly what it looks like.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:36 PM

So what end are the fork springs on? Or are they in the middle. I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem. I had the clutch for out and never saw a spring. Also, should the clutch fork move freely back and forth, or should there always be resistance on it?
Old 06-29-2003, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

The spring is in the middle. It holds the fork on to the t-stud (pivot).

The fork should just pop in and out of place when you push or pull on it.