LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A slight...errrr...problem..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 12:54 AM

A slight...errrr...problem..

Well folks, my car is hella loud. Exaust now consists of MAC headers and off road Y, and SLP Loudmouth catback.

I am looking for suggestions to quiet it down and eleminate some of the popping, rasping, and general caucophony that occurs even when it is driven casually. I do not mind (actually enjoy) it being loud at WOT, but making this much noise driving around town is just ludicrous, and my neighbors have started to complain.

I have heard that inserting a 3" bullet in the intermediate pipe will clean up a lot of the pop and crackle and give it a more clean, tuned sound. Is this true? Any other suggestions?

I do not have as much of an issue with the general loudness as I do with the popping, crackling and snapping...
Old 09-27-2003, 01:26 AM

If you install highflow cats it should clean the sound up quite a bit......
Old 09-27-2003, 02:39 AM

Definetly highflow cats. Search for 'carsound' on ebay motors. Cheap (~$35 each) highflow cats that flow as well as the best of them
Old 09-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Not sure how much the CarSound cats will quiet it down. I had dual CarSound 3" cats in a custom Y-Pipe, and a Mufflex 4". For the track I replaced the cats with 3" Borla XR1 shorties. The Borlas were definitely quieter than the cats. Hard to understand why, but they were.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:29 PM

I think I have found a workable solution. I am thinking of getting an Edelbrock RPM or Hooker muffler and sticking it in the section of the tailpipe that runs to the driver side of the car, then fabbing a blockoff plate, a la Borla, for the passenger side. When I wanna be vewy vewwy quiet, I can rout all spent gasses through the driver side, and when the acoustics just don't matter, I can remove the plate and dump it, along with lots of noise, out the passenger side.
What do yall think?