LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Slightly Confused, Cold Air Intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:28 AM

I actually think it's retarded to even consider paying $250 or so on a freaking CAI... It's a couple of tubes and a cone filter.

The "Ebay" kit is MORE than efficient and $50 shipped. If I had an F Body I would buy that one and call it a day
Old 02-09-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Godchsr
I actually think it's retarded to even consider paying $250 or so on a freaking CAI... It's a couple of tubes and a cone filter.

The "Ebay" kit is MORE than efficient and $50 shipped. If I had an F Body I would buy that one and call it a day

Since you don't have an Fbody, you have no idea what people are talking about when it comes to fitment.

Even the K&N kit fits tightly. The Ebay kit may not fit at all in some years/models. I suspect they have more issue in cars with ABS/traction control.

Used CAIs by well-thought-of makers go for about the same price as the EBay stuff. MAke up your own mind. (OP, the reason LT1 CAIs look nothing like import cold air is because in an LT1 Fbody, the corner of the radiator is in the way, and if the vehicle has traction control, even more so. To maintain sufficient cross section in that area, some of the CAIs have some interesting shapes in that section.)
Old 02-09-2008, 11:06 AM

I bought a Z that had an eBay CAI on it, and it was the biggest piece of flimsy junk I have ever seen in my life. Not only was it flimsy, it didn't fit properly and had been flattened out by the hood closing on it. It takes more than just a tube of metal and a cone filter to make a good intake. What works on a Civic (and I've had a few of those, too) will not work on an LT1. I agree with what someone above said about plastic intakes not absorbing heat like the metal ones, too. Plus, when you open your hood, do you really want to see a bunch of metal tubes sectioned together by rubber connectors and band clamps?

Buy a good used intake over a cheaply made new one. You will be much happier in the long run.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by revmarc
I bought a Z that had an eBay CAI on it, and it was the biggest piece of flimsy junk I have ever seen in my life. Not only was it flimsy, it didn't fit properly and had been flattened out by the hood closing on it. It takes more than just a tube of metal and a cone filter to make a good intake. What works on a Civic (and I've had a few of those, too) will not work on an LT1. I agree with what someone above said about plastic intakes not absorbing heat like the metal ones, too. Plus, when you open your hood, do you really want to see a bunch of metal tubes sectioned together by rubber connectors and band clamps?

Buy a good used intake over a cheaply made new one. You will be much happier in the long run.
easy on the metal tubes stuff! The SLP looks really nice and its metal tubes! What I do disagree with is that plastic will not absorb heat like metal will. that area in general does not see allot of heat to begin with. My SLP CAI has never been "hot" and on top of that its powder coated so it wouldn't absorb heat like metal normally would. now I have never had the opportunity to "feel" them side by side so I am just speaking my .02 and take what you want and leave the rest.
Good luck in your quest for a CAI I do recommend NOT buying the ebay version!
Old 02-09-2008, 02:50 PM

How would this compare to a CAI,
https://www.suncoastramairhoods.com/...?productID=412

Also, the previous owner of the car is saying there is already a CAI on it, but my friend is saying it looks stock just with a K&N Filter, here's a picture.

Last edited by Counted Out; 02-09-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Kaj

Yes that is just stock tubing w/ the K&N Filter. The airbox has been removed and that's it.

What year is this car? I don't see a MAF sensor...

All F-body CAI's carry the same benefits, I've tried everything except for the cheap ebay kits. They all offer a few extra HP, and they perform the same. Not one CAI is better than another from my tests, some might have better aesthetics than another, but that's it. Same goes for the ram-air.

P.S. That filter looks like it needs a clean

Last edited by Kaj; 02-09-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kaj
Yes that is just stock tubing w/ the K&N Filter. The airbox has been removed and that's it.

What year is this car? I don't see a MAF sensor...

All F-body CAI's carry the same benefits, I've tried everything except for the cheap ebay kits. They all offer a few extra HP, and they perform the same. Not one CAI is better than another from my tests, some might have better aesthetics than another, but that's it. Same goes for the ram-air.

P.S. That filter looks like it needs a clean
It's a 93, no MAF for me.

I was looking around on Ebay (sadly) and there are a couple made specifically and only for 1993 Z28's. If fitting wasn't a problem, is there anything that makes these things perform less well than the more expensive ones?

My dad bought a cheap Ebay one for his 02 Dakota (he wasn't really looking for anything incredible) and he seems to like it.

Ohhh and indeed it does need a clean. I just got the car a couple weeks ago, haven't got around to that...sadly.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by hosspwr94
easy on the metal tubes stuff! The SLP looks really nice and its metal tubes! What I do disagree with is that plastic will not absorb heat like metal will. that area in general does not see allot of heat to begin with. My SLP CAI has never been "hot" and on top of that its powder coated so it wouldn't absorb heat like metal normally would.
lol, all metal tubes are not created equal, that's for sure. I even said earlier that I thought the SLP was a good looking piece. I almost bought one for my latest Z, but I'm in a rut and went with the Moroso again.

Again, for me the biggest issue aside from performance is appearance--does it look like a well-made piece, or cobbled together junk? I hate spending money on the same piece twice because I went cheap the first time. Been there, done that, got the shirt (but it was too small).
Old 02-10-2008, 03:27 AM

Also, I read somewhere Ram Air doesn't really help until you reach speeds above 75mph, is this true?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:11 PM

According to every tuner I've heard, and dynos I've seen of ram air vs. non, very little difference. But they sure do look good.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by revmarc
According to every tuner I've heard, and dynos I've seen of ram air vs. non, very little difference. But they sure do look good.
A dyno wouldn't show that since the car insn't moving on a dyno!! In real world driving it is true that you wouldn't notice a difference till you reached that point where you were shoving the air into the motor vs having the motor pull the air in. And where that difference is is an unknown since there are so many factors that come into play at that point and are different for each car. But yeah they deffinetely look very cool!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant . I remember Roger Vinci and his crew in Orlando telling me that years ago when they were doing some tuning for me, comparing my 96 Z28 to a couple of SSs and WS6s they had just done. He said they hadn't figured out a good way at the time to calculate it. They had a giant floor fan, but they said all that did was keep them cool.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:43 PM

Dont know if it was already mentions, but the K&N, Moroso, Lingenfelter, Summit, And JEGS CAI are all pretty much THE SAME EXACT INTAKE...

Not to hijack, but does anyone know where to get the replacement filter for the Moroso CAI? I heard the K&N one fits as well, but im not sure
Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 PM

Holy ****! You guys are paying $200+ for a damn CAI? I should start making and selling them then. I paid $25 for my used one and it works great. All you need is 2.5"-3" diameter exhaust tubing (can't remember and the car isn't with me to check) and a J or U-bend and fab your own. Then buy a K&N (or whichever you prefer) cone filter to clamp on the end. Or do it the way mine is and buy a mustang 90-degree elbow and just have two pieces of straight pipe.

Make fun of it if you want, but it is simple and works just as well as the $200 units.