LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Slipping Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 07:50 PM

Slipping Tranny?

I was wondering when im cruising at about 50 in OD my car starts to wopple like it can't chose which gear to shift too. Is my tranny going bad? Is it time for tranny rebuild #3 in the last year? This is getting ridicolous. Also seen some other signs of soon to come tranny problems, like my car staying the same speed when i let off the gas instead of deaccelerating and slowing down. Time to sell this damn automatic and buy an M6 I think.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:04 PM

Damn rebuilds how many miles do you have on this thing? Do you drive it like you stole it? A lot of times when the trans goes to get rebuilt it instead only gets certain parts that are really going bad replaced. You need the whole thing replaced. I would consider getting a new trans or an M6. This is one more point for my argument that the Manuals are better than the 4L60E and 4L60 auto transmissions. Yeah the autos are built stronger, but when you start driving them real hard the clutch takes a lot of the abuse in the manual unlike the whole inside of the auto, clutch drums and all.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by fbird95
Damn rebuilds how many miles do you have on this thing? Do you drive it like you stole it? A lot of times when the trans goes to get rebuilt it instead only gets certain parts that are really going bad replaced. You need the whole thing replaced. I would consider getting a new trans or an M6. This is one more point for my argument that the Manuals are better than the 4L60E and 4L60 auto transmissions. Yeah the autos are built stronger, but when you start driving them real hard the clutch takes a lot of the abuse in the manual unlike the whole inside of the auto, clutch drums and all.
Its got 89,000 miles on it and in the last 8k or so miles ive had it rebuilt 3 times and its starting to go again. I drive it hard now and then but not around every corner like some people. Yeah im starting to think that the shop that rebuilt it cut corners and only replaced certain things, especially on the 2nd rebuild since the shop did it for free because it was still under warranty. Lets just say the owner wasn't to happy.

Now for another question. How hard is it to rebuild a 4L60E if you buy a real good performance kit. I talked to an auto instructor and he said even he doesn't have the tools to do that. I have plenty of time to do it but just don't know if I have the tools/knowledge. Anyone else done rebuilds on it when they really didn't know much about it?

Is the tranny going bad or could it be something else thats causing it to not know whether to shift or not at 50mph in OD and seem as if its rocking back and forth. It doesn't really wind out and slip yet but it doesn't shift very hard anymore.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:34 PM

sounds like its going out. I would have a stern talk with the shop that did it and let them know you want your money back as they obviously cannot fix it worth a damn. When I had my old z28, I had the tranny rebuilt with added clutch packs, high stall converter, shift kit, billet servos etc, and it never broke a sweat, and I beat the crap out of it.

The shop told me "beat the crap out of it all you want, if it breaks, bring it back and I'll fix it, but it won't break" and it never did, although the car was totalled a few months later.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:41 PM

A good rebuild on your trans will cost a few hundred less than a new one. I think that shop definatly cut some corners and reused some parts.