LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SLP CAI INSTALL...little tough

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 12:48 AM

SLP CAI INSTALL...little tough

Ordered my SLP CAI from ls1speed.com on tues and it showed up today while i was working. I got home from workin at circuit city and my parents said it showed up so i got to installin quickly...so yea i end up gettin the stocker out easy and the MAS or MAF whatever it is off quickly and then i put the MAS onto the SLP piping and thought i had lined it up right but nope....so i had to redo that ....and then i got it on the elbow and realized i didnt put the SLP splash guard on and so i kind of pulled the pipes up slid it up but i cant get it to snap in place...just doesnt seem to fit right....and then i took off the splash guard on the bottom of the car and just decided that i would install the filters 2morrow...ha so yea...ended up being a bigger PITA than i had expected...but hopefully it'll be worth it....ha i'll prob end up starting it up after its all done and get the SES light.....lets hope not tho...

by the way it was 169.95 shipped to my doorstep..... im not sure if they are still running this deal but it was a damn good one ....or atleast i think....
Old 12-27-2003, 12:53 AM

i got a used KN CAI for 50 bux :P

omg was that a bitch to install the rubber intake part would not fit the CAI... i eventually made it fit, but if i took it off, i couldnt put it on again if i treid from the bottom... so i just squezzed it form the top

but hey, at least we dont cut up **** like the LS1 owners do :P
Old 12-27-2003, 08:31 AM

I know exactly what you are going through. The directions for installing that CAI SUCK! When I had mine, I found that the easiest way to get it installed properly was to disconnect the intake elbow from the throttle body. Leave the MAF sensor hooked to the intake elbow (you will be able to move it around enough with the MAF connected). After you remove the OE air box, put the SLP blockoff plate on. Remove the upper radiator mount bolts and pull it back (toward the front of the car). Slide the metal part of the new intake into the slot (making sure the tubes are passing through the blockoff plate). Once you get this far, hook the gasket adapter to the Maf sensor and slide it onto the metal tube. Dont tighten it yet. Now, work the rubber elbow back onto the TB. MAKE SURE IT ISNT BUCKLED on the bottom side of the TB. I trashed my OE intake elbow doing this. Lastly, install the filters from below the car. Have fun because it's a bitch. Getting them tight is the worst....

Good Luck....
Old 12-27-2003, 09:40 AM

Yeah, it caused a few bad words on my end, too. Just be patient, it's not really that bad.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:01 AM

must be easier on a 93, i had little to no problems with mine

Took all of 25 mins i think (taking the slash guard off the bottom and all that fun stuffs)
Old 12-27-2003, 10:49 AM

It was a real PITA for me. The hardest part was getting the damn rubber elbow over the metal tube. I ended up using baby oil on the tube to finally get the elbow on. I put the filters on and then shoved the whole thing down through the airbox hole. It was a tight fit, and a couple times the filters would fall off and I'd have to do it all over again. Now I'm always worried that one of the filters will fall off again.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:50 AM

Yea they could be a pita, really cant move around a whole lot in that bay...my moroso cai on my old 96 took me longer then expected
Old 12-27-2003, 12:23 PM

finally got everything on ...the filters took a little patience...i got one of them pretty damn tight but the other one i only got a few cranks...ha i used some vasoline to get them on the tubes...

How often do the filters need to be cleaned and how does everyone approach it...

thanks again...
Old 12-27-2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by ThotYouKnew
finally got everything on ...the filters took a little patience...i got one of them pretty damn tight but the other one i only got a few cranks...ha i used some vasoline to get them on the tubes...

How often do the filters need to be cleaned and how does everyone approach it...

thanks again...
Most guys dont even clean em..I never did on eiither the 96 or 97...my buddy use to clean his, his z still ran like crap