LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SLP header install question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 05:38 PM

SLP header install question.

Im going to be doing an SLP dual cat header install and have a quick question. What kind of gasket to i need where the headers bolt to the y-pipe? It uses my stock y-pipe, are the gaskets reusable, or do i need to buy new ones, i dont plan on buying the SLP install kit.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:01 PM

Not reuseable... Any speed shop, and summit or jegs would have the gaskets.. just give em call.
Do a search on header installs so u get a real good picture of everything u need to do and what all you'll need.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:04 AM

You don't really need the entire kit. I just bought those cat flange gaskets because the one is specific to the headers.

I had mine ceramic coated locally. Got my Felpro gaskets and ARP 1" 12 pt SS header bolts from Summit.

Picked up a couple fire sleeves and some insulation to cover the AC/Heater crap and tied the heater hose away from the header. Not much room there, so make sure you have everything that can burn away from headers.

Apparently, my mech. felt the need to re orient the EGR pipe on the Pass side header, which called for rewelding it. Don't know if this is necessary, but it might be.

You can get the installation instuctions off of the SLP site, or I can FAX you a copy.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the input.

Bubba, i will look for the instructions at the slp website. Where did you buy those cat flange gaskets, those are the ones i was talking about, doesnt look like just a normal gasket would work.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:25 PM

SLP PART NO.30031

Gaskets, Lower 1995-97 DualCat Header Flange (pr.) $10.50
Old 09-25-2003, 03:07 PM

those gskts. you are inquiring about are the factory OE gaskets from the header collector to the dual cat y-pipe. If you didn't buy the install kit and you want to piece all the parts together to do the job just get those gskts. at a GM dealer probably cheaper than getting it from SLP.

Bubba, you're running the dual cat headers too right? Is there a reason why your mechanic felt that he had to reweld the EGR pipe to a different location? That's not necessary, the EGR tube can be bent slightly from its original shape to attach to the pass. manifold to allow it to be bolted to the pass. dual cat header. Get the instructions and follow them it tells you that.

jchevy, a word of warning, take your time putting these headers in and DON'T RUSH!!! My spidersense is telling me that the possibility of another dissatified SLP dual cat header customer could be possible. Installing them properly will get you the same results as what I've gotten with them, troublefree performance.

For some tips on installing them check this link and look for my reply on page 2:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=2

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Tony
Old 09-25-2003, 03:12 PM

I agree, but it's a moot point. My mech.unilaterally decided that it needed to be repositioned and so he did it.

Mind you, I wasn't thrilled, since he ruined my nice ceramic finish on the EGR tube with the re weld.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:13 PM

I actually liked my SLP dual cat headers, except the coating sucked, they would never seal, they melted my cat (drivers side), were expensive and the weld between 2 primaries cracked (also drivers side).

Brad
Old 09-25-2003, 03:25 PM

Cman, i plan on taking my time on the install and doing it right the first time. Im not trying to cut corners by not buying the SLP Install kit. I plan on using stage 8 locking bolts and felpro header gaskets, so from what i can gather the install get is pretty much useless and a wast of $70. Is there anything in the kit i need? The headers use the same EGR tube right?

Here is what i plan on buying for the install so far.

Stage 8 locking header bolts
Felpro 1406 header gaskets
Collector gaskets from the dealer

What else do i need to add to the list?

Last edited by jchevy; 09-25-2003 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:39 PM

Are you sure you want the Stage 8 lockers?

Those little locks (as I understand) can be a PIA to install. Also, you risk dropping them into the abyss, never to be recovered.

I am happy with my my ARP-400-1209 3/8 x1.000 SS
12 pts from Summit for $25.99. I purchased the bolts along with my Fel Pro 1406s, since the handling fee is around $7.95 regardless of the order.

As far as the bolts for the cat flanges and the one for the egr tube connection, I just picked up some good quality bolts, washers, nuts etc.from the local shop.

Again, make sure that all your burnable hoses, wires, AC/Heater plastic enclosure are insulated against the headers. The insulation can't even touch the headers or it will burn the insulation. You don't need much clearance, just no direct contact. Use zip ties to keep that Heater hose away, since the heater hose is not easily replacable. You may need a couple of fire sleeves on those plug wires that are too close, but don't spend gobs on super 2000+ deg.sleeves if you are NA. JMHO
Old 09-25-2003, 03:45 PM

Are you sure you want the Stage 8 lockers?

Those little locks (as I understand) can be a PIA to install. Also, you risk dropping them into the abyss, never to be recovered.

I am happy with my my ARP-400-1209 3/8 x1.000 SS
12 pts from Summit for $25.99. I purchased the bolts along with my Fel Pro 1406s, since the handling fee is around $7.95 regardless of the order.

As far as the bolts for the cat flanges and the one for the egr tube connection, I just picked up some good quality bolts, washers, nuts etc.from the local shop.

Again, make sure that all your burnable hoses, wires, AC/Heater plastic enclosure are insulated against the headers. The insulation can't even touch the headers or it will burn the insulation. You don't need much clearance, just no direct contact. Use zip ties to keep that Heater hose away, since the heater hose is not easily replacable. You may need a couple of fire sleeves on those plug wires that are too close, but don't spend gobs on super 2000+ deg.sleeves if you are NA. JMHO
Old 09-25-2003, 03:48 PM

Sorry bout that dble post. Damn computer
Old 09-25-2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by jchevy
Cman, i plan on taking my time on the install and doing it right the first time. Im not trying to cut corners by not buying the SLP Install kit. I plan on using stage 8 locking bolts and felpro header gaskets, so from what i can gather the install get is pretty much useless and a wast of $70. Is there anything in the kit i need? The headers use the same EGR tube right?

Here is what i plan on buying for the install so far.

Stage 8 locking header bolts
Felpro 1406 header gaskets
Collector gaskets from the dealer

What else do i need to add to the list?
The kit also comes with a bolt, lockwasher and nut to attach the EGR pipe to the pass. header. I believe it is a 1/4" or 5/16" bolt with a 12 point head that uses a 5/16" wrench to tighten. I'm sure as you do the install you will be able to find the proper bolt and nut with the washers to use here. That should be it I think you have everything covered AFA parts to install the header.

One other suggestion I can make to you is maybe go another route for your header bolts. I think you will have a really tough time getting those clips in with the stage 8 bolts after you get the header in. I would suggest that you get ARP header bolts. They make these ones that are stainless steel but they have a 5/16" hex head with the 3/8"-16 thread pitch that you need to screw into the head. The smaller wrenching head will make it easier to get the box end of the wrench on the fastener to tighten them. Looking back this is what I should've went with and not the header bolts that came with the install kit (which I bought). The only complaint I have now is that my header bolts have surface rust and looks like crap. The ARP header bolts mentioned above are used in my "project sleeper" car and they look a lot better. Your call.

Last edited by Cman; 09-25-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:01 PM

I did a search for the ARP bolts and came up with 2 part numbers

ARP-400-1101
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...101+&x=15&y=12

ARP-400-1209
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...-1209&x=18&y=8

Which do i want? And i only need to buy one of either of those part numbers right, thats enough for both headers?

what is the summit part number for the correct header gaskets. FPP-1406? Or should i go with a different brand gasket?

I really apreciate all the help guys, ive never done a header install before and this is helping me alot.

Last edited by jchevy; 09-25-2003 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:19 PM

The header bolts I'm talking about is ARP #400-1107 (quantity 12 in a package), 5/16" wrenching head 3/8"-16 thread size with a 3/4" UHL (under head length).

The ones you looked up have a 1" UHL that might be too long and could bottom out on the head. Most header bolts for LT1 and SBC are the 3/4" length.

The fel-pro header gasket you need are the 1406's not the ones you looked up. The 1406's are what I'm using.

Last edited by Cman; 09-25-2003 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: SLP header install question.