LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SLP Line Lock ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 06:32 AM

SLP Line Lock ?

How long can you leave the line lock activated for? I like to let my car warm up a little and dont have a spare key to lock the door so I put on the Line lock and no one will knows where its at. and if I park on a steep hill it will have all 4 wheels locked.. What do you guys think?
Old 03-21-2003, 08:25 AM

Sean, why don't you get a spare key made? I don't have an answer for you, but I sure do like our line locks Did you get that little bug in yours worked out? That will teach ya not to switch them next time.

Chris
Old 03-21-2003, 10:35 AM

A line lock also only locks out 2 wheels... and you're not supossed to have it on very long.... like a few minutes at most...

A spare key will work a LOT better.... plus a line lock typically is wires to a Momentary switch... which means you have to hold the switch to activate it.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by 97FormulaWS-6
A line lock also only locks out 2 wheels... and you're not supossed to have it on very long.... like a few minutes at most...

A spare key will work a LOT better.... plus a line lock typically is wires to a Momentary switch... which means you have to hold the switch to activate it.
The new SLP line locks are controlled by an on/off switch, there are not any buttons to hold. I added a nice little LED so I can make sure it is not on unexpectedly
Old 03-21-2003, 12:32 PM

ok... even though that makes no sence.... because a line locks purpose is to keep a car from rolling through the timing lights while pre-loading the driveline. It needs to be an instant off item... personally I don't want to have to flip a switch when I'm launching.. it's a lot easier to just release a button.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by 97FormulaWS-6
ok... even though that makes no sence.... because a line locks purpose is to keep a car from rolling through the timing lights while pre-loading the driveline. It needs to be an instant off item... personally I don't want to have to flip a switch when I'm launching.. it's a lot easier to just release a button.

ACTUALLY, thats not their MAIN purpose. a line lock is designed to be activated when you are doing your burnout. you press your brake pedal down, press the MOMETARY ON BUTTON, and the solinoids hold the brake line pressure when you let off the brake (FRONT brakes only). this way you dont have to wear on your rear brakes when performing a burnout. when you're done roasting, you simply let off the button and generally drivers will let their start to roll forward slowly (still in the throttle) until it hooks.

now, guys with manual trannys will somtimes ALSO use them to keep their car still at the staging lights so their not rolling around. the technique is the same, they simply let the button go when they launch.

ill be getting one of these SLP kits very soon. i dont know what kind of wiring/switch set up it comes with, but ill be modifying it to my likeing anyway. ill have an arming switch and a momentary ON/OFF button.

jon
Old 03-21-2003, 02:08 PM

I understand both uses for it... I have one on my car.....

I guess I just don't see the use for one with a steady switch.... I mean they're on for at most what 10 seconds at a time...