LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SLP TOTL is too quiet...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 10:45 AM

SLP TOTL is too quiet...

Alright guys, im looking for a way to up the sound of my SLP TOTL setup. When on the road, i can barely hear it idle, even w/ t-tops off...I was thinking of replacing the muffler with a flowmaster 40 series or some similar (louder) muffler. Just fyi, i have BBK Shorties on it as well. What would be the best cost-effective upgrade to get a little more sound out of it?
Old 04-30-2005, 11:19 AM

Re: SLP TOTL is too quiet...

Try a loudmouth. You can hear mine 3 blocks away
Old 04-30-2005, 12:14 PM

Yeah. I went from Borla to LM to TOTL and back to LM. I scared the crap out of one of my neighbors that was on the other side of a building when I started my car once.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:59 PM

you could gut your cat, it'll be loud then!
Old 04-30-2005, 01:14 PM

bg...
I found that replacing the stock y pipe for Random Tech y pipe with high flow cats made the SLP TOTL awake in terms of sound and HPs... not obnouxious noise. I 've heard that the SLP coated shorties headers will add more sound and HPs to my set up. Now, there are a new Loud mouth sound quality categories, just check them...

take care
dochidalgo
Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 PM

I just want it to wake up a little bit, i dont need anything extremely loud...

How much would high flow cats do as far as adding to the sound?
Old 04-30-2005, 02:31 PM

gut teh catt and it will sound better,
did u buy the totl aftermarket or from a person that origionally had it on their car?

if u bought it from someone theres this thing called the cone of silence that quiets it down , its where teh over the axle pipe goes into teh muffler, u can remove that to

if it aftermarket (straight from slp) i dont think u have it
Old 04-30-2005, 02:36 PM

Im not positive, but i believe its aftermarket...
Old 04-30-2005, 02:45 PM

Long Tubes, No Cats, True Dual with 18" Sweet Thunders that'll wake it up :-D And the neighbors 2 blocks away
Old 04-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

I've got LT's, no cats and a 3.5 inch intermediate pipe going into my TOTL. It's still pretty quiet. Can barely hear my car lope even. But thanks to my electric cutout, I can make a little extra noise whenever the need arises. Not too often though as I actually used to have true duals and got rid of them since they were just too loud.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:47 PM

I remember some of the 2OTL systems were build with a silencing cone... a least the catbacks from SLP has this. Mine does not(checked) and with LTs, no cats its plenty loud and really sounds quite nice.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
I remember some of the 2OTL systems were build with a silencing cone... a least the catbacks from SLP has this. Mine does not(checked) and with LTs, no cats its plenty loud and really sounds quite nice.
yeah i think on the 97 SS with this optional exhaust they had the cone of silence , some later model 96 SS may have had it to ,
Old 04-30-2005, 10:02 PM

Would you like to trade your new TOTL muffler for my 6 year old one? Mine is definitely louder than it used to be and I would like it quieter.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by bg552
Alright guys, im looking for a way to up the sound of my SLP TOTL setup. When on the road, i can barely hear it idle, even w/ t-tops off...I was thinking of replacing the muffler with a flowmaster 40 series or some similar (louder) muffler. Just fyi, i have BBK Shorties on it as well. What would be the best cost-effective upgrade to get a little more sound out of it?
The SLP 2OTL system (even the "non cone of silence" aftermarket system) is mostly for "tone" rather than pure volume. It has a very refined throaty rumble to it (but is also very quiet at idle and part-throttle). Basically the same way the Hooker cat-back is that I used to have on my LT1 IMO...

Short of a fairly choppy cam, you'll never hear much volume out of this system at idle or cruise. It does have a great overall tone to it though. If you want something much louder, you'll need an SLP Loudmouth, wide-open Borla, or cutout. I'd simply recommend the $35 cutout which will be MUCH louder at any rpm and can easily be capped up when you need the car quieter or want to hear the 2OTL again. And yes, a Flowmaster replacement muffler will also give your car a little more volume too...

Mike
Old 05-01-2005, 02:14 PM

I have AS&M headers and an ORP on my car and I have to say it is much louder yet still refined. Whenever the motor is cold it does pop but once it is warmed up it doesn't anymore. The most difference is around 3k RPM and on up. Once you hit that, it screams! I had my t-tops off yesterday for the first time since installing the headers and all I have to say is wow. It was much louder but still sounded awesome whenever I got on it. I made a quick video today at idle so if anyone wants to see it just email me. (It is pretty crappy, my finger keeps getting in the way but I am too lazy to go make another one) Camaross350lt1@aol.com

Quick Reply: SLP TOTL is too quiet...