LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Smog question for California cars (headers)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 11:04 PM

Smog question for California cars (headers)

I was wondering what experiences those in California have had with modifications and smog tests--specifically headers. For headers that are California legal, is an EO number stamped on the header so the smog station inspector can see it? For those who have non-legal headers, do you have problems when getting the car smogged?

Thanks for any info.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:34 PM

I just gave them the CARB # that I got from SLP. NO problems. The Headers did not come with a "tag" or special thing on the headers with a CARB # on it. I also gave them the CARB # for the blower,MSD box, etc.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:53 PM

Hooker shorties have a little plate with the CARB number welded on top of one of the pipes next to the head that is easily seen.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:13 AM

The problem I have is that the shorties (Watsons) do not have a CARB number but look like all the various other shorty manufacturers that do have numbers. Can I just say they are Hookers, SLP, etc. and reference a CARB number or are the inspectors not that stupid?
Old 10-09-2003, 12:38 AM

Exactly, how do they know its one part or another? I know there is a reference manual, but that doesn't show illustrations of the products.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by 2CNTRY
Dude, unless you go to an inspector station, you should be able to easily find a shop or gas station that doesn't care about anything other than if you pass the sniffer.
Exactly. Just look around, you'll find one if you look hard enough
Old 10-09-2003, 10:15 AM

I became concerned for two reasons. First, the local shop I plan on having install the headers asked if they had a CARB number. I asked if that was a problem and the guy said it is better to have a number but he would install them anyway (this is what got me worrying). Then there was someone recently posting on the Corvette Forum who said he was caught on the visual part of the smog inspection for his long tubes and even though he passed the sniffer with flying colors, he had to take them off. My thinking is that the shorties should not really "stick out" as non-stock since all the tubes are properly connected and a casual observer may not notice. But if I was to find some hardnosed inspector who knows what he is looking at I could get nailed. I have also heard that there are shops who may "look the other way" on visual as long as the car passes the sniffer.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:57 AM

The culprit here is the issue of whether the headers retain the stock location for the cats. If your headers retain that location, you will probably have no problem. That was what tripped up the guy with the long tubes. As we all know, there are no long tubes with CARB #'s (at least for California) because they all require a change in the cats location.

As far as whether or not you can get away with telling them the CARB # from another brand, I would say that is very likely. Most of the smog techs have no idea what brand headers look like what. I carry a letter from my manufacturer (JBA) in the car but no one has ever really asked for proof of anything. Actually, they have never even commented on the fact the headers are there! Again, I believe it's because the cats are all in their stock location so it doesn't raise any questions.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:05 AM

Everything would be connected and located the same as absolutely stock as the manufacturer (Watson) said that the design was meant to be an exact replacement for the stock without any modifications needed. Actually, the only modification I will need to do is bend or shorten the AIR pipe that goes into the top of the header since stock attachment is right in the center of the exhaust manifold and the AIR inlet for the Watson is at the left center tube. I guess if I am asked I can say that these are Hookers or some other brand with CARB number.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:20 PM

Doug,

I got my smog check just a few months ago. I have SLP shorties as well as a Vortech supercharger. The inspector did not ask about my headers but he spent a few minutes with a mirror looking for the cats to make sure they were there and in the proper location. Like the rest of the guys said, if you have the cats in the stock location I wouldn't worry about your headers passing.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:27 PM

All these posts make me feel a bit more optimistic. At least if I install these I will have 2 years to worry about it.

By the way, what did you guys with shorties have to do to get the AIR pipe to meet the fitting on the header? Do you shorten the pipe by cutting and welding or can the pipe be bent and tweaked to fit correctly?
Old 10-09-2003, 06:32 PM

Arent the ASM headers mid length? they are almost as long as longtubes but dont move the cat?

Last edited by z28marine; 10-09-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:46 PM

Z28Marine--I'm not sure if you are directing the question at me or not but the headers I am dealing with are Watson shorties for my LT-1--exactly the same rough dimensions as the stock headers. No modifications necessary for exhaust pipes or cats, but the secondary air tube that screws into the top of the drivers side stock exhaust manifold must screw into the fitting on the header which is just left of center. Therefore some modification of the tube is necessary (cut/weld or bend?)
Old 10-09-2003, 06:52 PM

I just got my car smogged 3 weeks ago with slp headers...WHAT A PAIN. True, it all depends on where you go/where you live but my smog tech spent 30 + mins VISUALLY inspecting my car. He asked for a Carb # and I pointed him to the sticker. He then proceeded to look up the card # to validate it. He kept on asking me "have you done andy other modifications?" All that and my car passed with flying colors.

What I would suggest is to call up SLP, tell them you bought some of their headers and tell them you need replacement stickers because you're kit didn't come with them. That should get you to pass the visual.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by DougSilver
All these posts make me feel a bit more optimistic. At least if I install these I will have 2 years to worry about it.

By the way, what did you guys with shorties have to do to get the AIR pipe to meet the fitting on the header? Do you shorten the pipe by cutting and welding or can the pipe be bent and tweaked to fit correctly?
Mine is not the same case as yours, but I had to get '96 fittings for them to fit my FLP's.

Quick Reply: Smog question for California cars (headers)