LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

smoke out tailpipe / fouled plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 09:23 PM

smoke out tailpipe / fouled plugs

I just put a 355 out of another car I had that was totalled in my 93 Trans Am. It's a mild rebuild w/ forged pistons and a 215/224/114 blower cam. Ran great on stock programming and fuel pressure changes in my old car with a 6 speed.

When I put the motor in the new car I changed the intake manifold/headers/wiring harness/computer/transmission/2800 stall/otvc wires/new opti cap and that's pretty much it.

The other day I put on a y-pipe and resonator and changed the fuel filter and now it's blowing huge amounts of white smoke out the exhaust which it did not do before when I was testing it (in the new car) but it still ran kinda rough. It also is shaking pretty badly in the car and surging a lot at idle. When I pulled the spark plugs (which have maybe 10 minutes run time on them) they are completely black, every single one.

The opti is only a couple thousand miles old but I got a low res pulse code which I thought wouldn't allow the car to start? I might try an old opti I have sitting around, but the opti ran great before and also was used another motor for a hundred miles or so and ran great then too.

I have a Datamaster log if anyone wants it sent to them.

Any idea what the smoke/plug problem is?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:23 PM

did u compression check the motor before you put it in? also, do you think it burning oil, ie blue hint to the smoke?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:40 PM

Didn't do a compression check before I put the motor in. It wasn't smoking a few days ago and the weird thing is that the really bad smoking seem to start out of nowhere when I changed my y-pipe and did a few other small things. I only had a chance to do a quick check before it got dark today and got between 165-170 psi on 1-3-5-7 chambers.

I kind of think that it might be water burning but I figured that the plugs would be clean in any cyls that the water was getting in? Also it isn't losing any oil and never burned oil before.

I need to set the fuel pressure but wont have a gauge until thursday (ordered a new mech gauge from summit) and am thinking that maybe it running too rich fouled all the plugs which made the combustion so bad it spews smoke?
Old 12-10-2003, 07:14 AM

White smoke is either water or oil. Fuel smoke is always black. Is there an antifreeze smell to the smoke? Look in the radiator to see if there is oil in it or if the level has gone down. Try a pressure test on the coolant system.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:07 PM

Thanks, maybe I'll go get a coolant press tester from autozone. I think the water might have gone down but it's hard to tell when I just filled it up recently and the level usually goes down when the water fills all the empty spaces.

I have a feeling it's water in the chamber but wouldn't the plugs be clean if that was the case?