LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

some 383 ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:13 AM

some 383 ?s

hellllo everybody..
i have a 383 with some questions.
i have purchased the CC306 cam. what are good springs, retainers and locks to use with or should i go with the recommended set up from Comp Cams? The vlvs are stock. Can i go with the stock O ring type seals or go with the teflon setup?
Im worried about vacuum and breaks or lack there of. How is the vacuum with the 306 and 383? Do i need to worry about a separate vacuum booster?
Torque converters. I had a Vigilante but due to money issues, had to sell it (along with alot of other toys). TCI i will stay away from. Im looking at a stall speed of 2800 RPM. Who makes a good every day driver converter that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. The rear gears are 3.73s. The internals are internally balanced. I have a Fluid dampner on the front. I was told to get a neutral balanced flex plate. Is that the same as not having a weight on it? Should be able to find one at summit??
The car will see limited track use, more stop light to stop light and most likely, will only come out on sunny sundays.
Is a MSD 6 needed? I have heard goods and bads. I had one and couldnt tell the difference. Doesnt work anymore so im leaning on not getting another one.
Plugs. Ditching the +4s in favor of stock AC Delcos or NGKs.
The car is a 96 with the OBD II junk. Is it advisable to get the pcm reprogrammed for OBD I setup, getting rid of the crank sensor, AIR and EGR setups?
The car has ceramic long tubes from Jet Hot. I know i need O2 sensors in the front, can i have the pcm reprogrammed to get rid of the rears or is that where the sims come in to play? Does a company offer a connection pipe that will go from the long tubes, to an aftermarket (like Random??) cat to my borla cat back or is it easier (cheaper) to find some exhaust shop to do it? I live in the woods and is pretty scarce around here..lol
The only thing that is original stock in this motor are the hydraulic roller lifters. The block is different (94 firebird).
Sorry for the long post. Havent been here in some time. Things havent been the best up here since leaving the military (closing 3 bases up here) and with the taxes, gas prices ($2.39 for regular) and low incomes...been rough..but things are on the rebound..
JKipp....you still around?
Thanks all.
Lee
96Z 383
Old 07-10-2005, 11:30 AM

Re: some 383 ?s

Maybe a set of 987 dual springs,titanium retainers,poly locks...Depending on your tune, would you need a separate vaccum cannister..Maybe check out Fuddle Racing converters..They're having a special on LS1tech, dont cost arm/leg, and have a killer warranty. Id get rid of the MSD box, and just get an aftermarket coil, and a set of NGK tr55 plugs...Maybe shoot by an exhaust shop, and have that piece custom made, so everything fits, and thats one less hassle that you'll have to mess with..
Old 07-10-2005, 01:28 PM

Re: some 383 ?s

hey there FlyinZ...thanks for the input.
Not looking for titanium or big pricey exotic stuff..lol the chrome moly is fine.
i took measurements of the double springs i have now and compared them to the one Comp Cams recommended for the CC 306.
outside diameter....mine.....1.44" CC....1.430"
coil bind...............mine......985" CC....1.15"
mine has a damper, CC doesnt.
retainers....mine...1.400"....CC....1.500"
so im looking at some new springs and retainers. with the wider spring, i ll probably need to take the heads back to a machine shop so they all fit well.
I looked at the Fuddle Converters at LS1 Tech. nice..but more for a higher stall and racing setups..not really what im looking for.
anyhoo, i ll keep looking around.
thanks again
Lee
96Z 383