LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Some Help From the Pros!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 PM

Some Help From the Pros!

Hey guys im doing a full top end rebuild on my 95 z28 M6 motor is still in car. I mean everyone says its so hard to work on the lt1 when its in the car but i just prefer it the best i dont know why. bought around 500 dollars in parts for a job that the shop told me it would be 1800 per head gaskets. and i needed a new optispark. Not having anyproblems, always wonder why i had low oil pressure then i took my intake off and saw my oil pressure sending unit was broken barly hanging on lol. Well Anyway i need to know if i can Replace the rear main seal while the motor is sitll in the car. i have been told i need to loosen motor mounts and raise motor alittle bit. can anyone give me a detailed walkthrough for what i need to do if it is even possbile to do. and yes my rear main seal is bad oil was not comming from anywhere esle. Car was sputtering and backfiring and i didnt know it was a sign of a bad optispark but then also my radiatorfluid was milkshake oily, so i got full gasket kit, new rollers and rods, new rockers, plugs, opti, wires, Thanks!!!

Shot me a email if you want, Skatepunkiam@yahoo.com

Last edited by ShowOff67; 09-29-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Re: Some Help From the Pros!

Originally Posted by ShowOff67
Hey guys im doing a full top end rebuild on my 95 z28 M6 motor is still in car. I mean everyone says its so hard to work on the lt1 when its in the car but i just prefer it the best i dont know why. bought around 500 dollars in parts for a job that the shop told me it would be 1800 per head gaskets. and i needed a new optispark. Not having anyproblems, always wonder why i had low oil pressure then i took my intake off and saw my oil pressure sending unit was broken barly hanging on lol. Well Anyway i need to know if i can Replace the rear main seal while the motor is sitll in the car. i have been told i need to loosen motor mounts and raise motor alittle bit. can anyone give me a detailed walkthrough for what i need to do if it is even possbile to do. and yes my rear main seal is bad oil was not comming from anywhere esle. Car was sputtering and backfiring and i didnt know it was a sign of a bad optispark but then also my radiatorfluid was milkshake oily, so i got full gasket kit, new rollers and rods, new rockers, plugs, opti, wires, Thanks!!!

Shot me a email if you want, Skatepunkiam@yahoo.com
It's easy to do this job in the car. Once you remove the fan, radiator, intake, alternator, and valve covers you're pretty much done. It's very easy.

Rear main can be done easily on the car. I did it 2 years ago. You will have to drop the transmission to get to it though.

Once you rebuild the top end it should fix the sputtering problem seeing as how your oil looks like chocolate.

This job can be done in a day if you have headers. If you have stock manifolds the biggest pain is going to be getting the Y pipe off and dropping the manifolds.

With my exhaust setup I can drop the Y pipe and have the headers off in no time. You will definitely not be so lucky with stock manifolds.