LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Spark knock under acceleration plus a few other things

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 07:22 PM

Spark knock under acceleration plus a few other things

Finally got the T56 into the car, but I have a few problems now that I was hoping some of you may have some advice on. First problem is spark knock. I cant even get into 6th gear without actually hearing it. Under any type of hard acceleration I can hear it unless I feather the gas. I can actually watch the knock count in Datamaster roll like a gas pump. Its not a pretty thing. I am also showing at any type of acceleration other then feathering that I will pull up to 3 to 5 degrees of timing. I am talking ANY type of acceleration. Once again, thats not a good thing. Any ideas on this one would be of great help.
I can say I have added some fuel to try and fatten it up, but that did no good, I also checked the fuel pressure and it is perfect. I am going to check the fuel pressure tomorrow under load. Just have to tape the gauge to the windshield and I am out of tape tonight

Second problem is my tachs. Both the factory and the Autometer gauge are dead. They worked before the conversion, but now I cant get anything, and I do get the code showing up in datamaster. I checked the connection at the PCm, and it seems fine. Any ideas what I did or missed that would kill both tachs? That one has me stumped.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:18 AM

New day, new bump
Old 06-21-2004, 07:42 PM

I will be interested to see if anybody replies to this. I have similar problems with recorded knock although I am running a 12:1 CR. I have tried everything to get rid of it though including high octane gas and lowering the timing substantially. Nothing seems to touch the amount of timing it will pull. It is always pulling max timing. I even tried raising the amount of timing it will allow to pull and it would pull as much as 20 degrees. Needless to say, I am at my wits end with the whole thing. It also does this no matter if I am in the Phoenix area on a hot day or at a mile high elevation on a cold day. Nothing changes the recorded knock. Every once in a while I can actually hear it knock, but very rarely, and usually only on a hot (100 degrees or more) day in Phoenix.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:45 PM

Gonna find out soon, I go to the dyno next monday to try and tune it out.