LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Spark Plug Length Info Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:36 PM

Spark Plug Length Info Thread

I had to SEARCH & SEARCH and still barely found the info I wanted regarding spark plugs. Sooo, I've bought a couple different types and I'm going to post what I've got. Feel free to chime in if you have a caliper & some plugs laying around. We need ACCURATE measurements since one tenth of an inch counts when you've got headers in the way!!!!

Accel Shorty - #P526S -
Accel Regular - #P526 - 2.150"
(2001 year model) Bosch Platinum 4+ - Part #? - 2.105"

I am taking my measurements from the CENTER of the seat of the plug. I'll try to take a pic soon and post up so everyone knows where to measure.

Anyone else?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:49 PM

I'm kind of lost here, what headers do you have that are blocking the spark plug holes?

I have Hooker LTs and changing the plugs is a total pain in the ***, but the length of the plug isn't an issue for me.

Please explain more
Old 05-31-2007, 08:21 PM

What's not to understand? Measure a spark plug and post it up??!!!

The item I WAS reasearching was:

I'm running Sanderson shorties - the tube that is above the number one plug bends just a bit too closely and there isn't room for a boot - well, that's not the truth - there's room, but the boot's touching the tube. Currently, I'm running an older "skinny" boot, not the Taylor boot (because the taylor is waaay too big). So, if I shorten the plug, I gain room between the boot and the tube.

Hence me looking for the shortest plug. Hence this thread trying to help OTHERS looking for a short plug.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by HectorM52
What's not to understand? Measure a spark plug and post it up??!!!

The item I WAS reasearching was:

I'm running Sanderson shorties - the tube that is above the number one plug bends just a bit too closely and there isn't room for a boot - well, that's not the truth - there's room, but the boot's touching the tube. Currently, I'm running an older "skinny" boot, not the Taylor boot (because the taylor is waaay too big). So, if I shorten the plug, I gain room between the boot and the tube.

Hence me looking for the shortest plug. Hence this thread trying to help OTHERS looking for a short plug.
Are you talking about S-10 headers? Most guys here are running either pacesetters or hookers on their F-bodies and I haven't heard of any problems. I understand what you are saying, but your lack of info is whats confusing. What are your headers on? Most headers don't block spark plug holes, and therefore this thread seems kind of pointless. There are only a few companies that make shortie plugs and Accel is the only one that I can think of off hand.

Good luck with your answers, but it would probably be twice as fast to just go down to your local parts store and measure them yourself
Old 06-02-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by turnin20s
Are you talking about S-10 headers? Most guys here are running either pacesetters or hookers on their F-bodies and I haven't heard of any problems. I understand what you are saying, but your lack of info is whats confusing. What are your headers on? Most headers don't block spark plug holes, and therefore this thread seems kind of pointless. There are only a few companies that make shortie plugs and Accel is the only one that I can think of off hand.

Good luck with your answers, but it would probably be twice as fast to just go down to your local parts store and measure them yourself
Ummm... maybe I'm not being clear enough.

I'm not asking for advice or help. Re-read the thread title - "spark plug length info" thread. The thread was posted to be an informational thread.

I HAD (used to have - in the past!) an issue with some headers. The issue was explained above. I came onto this site to find some info on shorty spark plugs. I found the part number but could find no info on lengths of plugs. Why, do you ask, does it matter what the length of a plug would be? Because one tenth of an inch matters when there's NO EXTRA ROOM behind a header tube. So how am I to know if these "shorty" plugs are any shorter than the ones I already have? Go to a parts store and measure?? Thanks, pal, that's real helpful. How about the fact that the plugs I just purchased (the Accel shorties) are SPECIAL ORDER ONLY at EVERY local parts house and probably every one in this country. Why? Because they're more than 10 bucks EACH PLUG. Nobody stocks them, and for that matter, Accel doesn't even make them anymore (from what I heard from my supplier).

So, once again, if you have any info on plug lengths, post them up.

Because as you can see, this site isn't just helpful to those who own a 4th gen F-body, but it is helpful for those of us that have borrowed a wonderful motor to power our other vehicles. And I've come onto this site to research some obscure facts. So maybe ONE person in the future will use this thread to help their issue - I know I could have used this info 5 days ago.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:22 PM

Dude you are taking this way to serious. I asked a few simple questions to help you out and you respond like that......whatever. If you already have the Accel shorties and they are still rubbing the header then mabye its time to invest in a different set of headers that will clear better.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but was just making a suggestion so take it for what its worth. If you put something somewhere it wasn't designed to be in the first place you are bound to run into some problems, trust me I know. I have done a few SBC swaps into S-10s and I know what you meen. My brothers 94 has Headman LTs on it and those used standard length plugs without a problem, also have helped on a few swaps that used Headman shorties and those all used standard length plugs. I have never used Sanderson shorties, but they could be for straight plug heads and I'm pretty sure that the LT1s all have angle plug heads so that may be why you are having issues getting plugs to fit.

Like I said, I understand what you are saying but I have never heard of anyone having problems with the plugs being too long and causing the plug boot to burn and as I said above the Accel shorty plugs are the only ones that I know of that are alot shorter than anything else and you have those and I don't think you can find anything shorter than that.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:28 PM

I have dynatech headers and plug clearance is a big issue. Could not even get AC delco's in, using NKG iridiums because they are much shorter. This would be a helpful post to those of us with this problem. I know there are more than two of us with this issue. I dont have the part # for the NKG's they are pricey, but they work and last a long time (3 years 50K miles).

Larry